Opinions on R3E: What's yours?

This is fine for ppl happy to dry-lap. RRE has improved over time - but I'm in the, "this is an outdated platform now" club. Best way to vent my frustration = stop buying DLC. When S3 care enough to drag RRE into modern times, I'll restart support. I buy the DLC, yet hardly lap with it - makes zero sense. I'm fed up of dry lapping. it's a personal thing.

We had rain in sims many years ago, then it all went tits-up IMHO. YMMV of course, that's fine. Why were Microprose ahead of their time. How long have I supported this stale engine for now, jeez. I've been doing this for a great many number of years - too long (dry-lapping) tbh. Hence the frustration. Approaching my mid 50's, I'm going to be more selective about who I give my savings to. Free to play software isn't the future. Otherwise S3 would have taken RRE to a modern place already. RRE, feels like a pay-to-improve model to me. By that I mean, RRE just releases tweaks here and there, but the fundamental tech is missing. We own this sim software, but at a UK track, we can't create a cold/overcast/low grip/wet or even damp scenario.

Fair play to Kunos for gambling, and having the passion/balls enough to deliver what some of us long for. By that I mean, driving at differing times of the day, in low grip situations. I get that we all don't see this as the "be all" of simracing. We all have opinions about SMS. At least they could be bothered to create time of day/weather, and moved the genre along. S3 is holding back the only genre I purchase games from. I'm unhappy about this lol. RRE started to feel stale, years ago. Much like how people feel that Codemasters have stunted the growth of the F1 platform, in the many years they've had the licence. Like a huge number of you, I've sunk huge amounts into regularly supporting S3. I hope one day, that a scenario arrives where I look forward to booting the platform and using the content I've purchased.

I know SimBin UK supposedly works on a modern game engine, supporting time of day/weather. Both platforms will likely share the tech. For me, it long overdue. Sorry S3, this is the only genre I enjoy. You starved your own engine of the features I've wanted most for years. It can't get any more broken than it is. You'll get nothing more now, until you care enough to update your engine tech.

I find that one of the best ways of getting the most out of a new experience is to read stickies, guides, and tutorials as well as reach out to active members with questions. Thanks to RG, and yes IMHO can certainly also stand for Raceroom Guru :), I was directed to the appropriate resources which have enabled me to enjoy a positive experience with R3E right from the starting line.

Perhaps the somewhat enigmatic vRP system and lack of mods make this title less appealing to some but I am convinced (by my own newbie experience) that reading information provided here and reaching out to the veteran members makes the whole endeavor very reasonable to manage and sets up the new folks for success.

There are many choices out there but I am happy to have found R3E and will continue to support Sector 3 in any way I can manage while thoroughly enjoying a superb sim racing experience.

• Deleted member 197115

R3E noob but I love every bit of it.
Great VR, great FFB after update, looks and feels like finished product.

Tried it few times before and never liked how cars feel. Now I can pretty much tune it to feel like AC.
Is that because of recent physics/ffb changes?

uncleSamOnHovercraft.jpg

I first tried R3E in late 2016 early 2017, tried only the free content but the somewhat simplified handling, dull FFB and lack of triple support I decided to skip the title. Now three years later, new content, improved physics model and triple support with some unique content I looked at it again.

During the free weekend I tried the content and decided to buy the premium pack. With around 3500 hours mixed with rF2, AMS and AC, and after trying R3E for around 15 hours with some of the content/tracks/functions, here are my opinion compare to my other go-to sims:

Pros:
+real brands/drivers/skins
+cars clearly grouped together in classes
+easy to use UI
+easy to setup an quick race (single player)
+good layout on setup page
+good base setups
+visual damage/deformation
+most FFB/sound settings can be changed on track/in-game
+good AI (not best or worse than others)
+good AI starts and not excessive smoke buildup
+bit dated but ok graphics, both tracks, cars and cockpit
+ok sound (don't think it stands out that much compared to others)
+good FFB after much tweaking, a bit car dependent (as in other sims)
+improved physics with believable/realistic handling (a bit car dependent)
+not the typical understeering car behavior (in those tested)
+official leaderboards and competitions
+test before you buy
+race with content you do not own
+continuous adding and upgrading content/engine
+good value if buying all new today

Neutral:
=missing possibility to restart race after it has ended, instead of jump to main
=add more/better race stats after an single race
=AI suffers a bit of the passed/give up syndrome (using static level)
=AI sometimes packs up or slows down to much at incidents
=flag rules, they are active but never seen any?
=tyre temp, pressure and wear static in leaderboard/competition/test car
=FFB is good, but should be improved further to use even less canned effects
=some older content not all up to date, even if they still ok (like older rF2 mods)
=payment model is acceptable, if they not decide to dump & restart new
=night/rain would be nice, but not to important

Cons (some only adds to that "arcady" feeling):
-constant brake squeal on some cars, that do not normally happen during hard braking
-constant tyre squeal, if not all cars on street tyres, that do not happen as well
-constant AI flashing, yes it happens in real life but not that often, all the time
-exhaust fire animation, some looks like a LED light flashing the body around the pipe
-dash constant on, even before ignition, only analog meters goes on
-no smoke/dust in mirrors, white lines missing as well on some tracks
-no dynamic track of any kind
-limited support for high end wheels, not all functions works
-very bad SLI scaling
-very bad GPU/CPU utilization, example 80fps on 1080TI SLI at 3x1440p, medium settings (textures high)
-bad track LOD on triples, objects pops in/out on the side monitors sometimes
-DX9, hope they upgrade to +DX11 and not move on to a new engine
(DX11 itself might not be an performance booster, but is also an future proof indicator of the title)

R3E is also the only sim with lots of tracks from Sweden, that's the major pro for me personally, as I have raced them in real life as well :thumbsup::thumbsup:.

Last edited:
FFB is good, but should be improved further to use even less canned effects
I don't know about your wheel (but I had a quick look and it seems it's similar for other wheels), but the only canned effects the default T300 profile now uses is a bit of kerb vibrations (which basically just slightly enriches the kerb effects that come from physics), and the collision effect. Everything else is either turned off or is physics-based.

DX9, hope they upgrade to +DX11 and not move on to a new engine
So you would want them to spend several years trying to rewrite an existing (and basically ancient at this point) engine instead of using a new one that's already up to current standards?

I don't know about your wheel (but I had a quick look and it seems it's similar for other wheels), but the only canned effects the default T300 profile now uses is a bit of kerb vibrations (which basically just slightly enriches the kerb effects that come from physics), and the collision effect. Everything else is either turned off or is physics-based.

Had to use 1% of few canned and manual tweaking in the profile, otherwise the FFB was a bit dead sometimes, so still much better than before but there is room for improvement. I'm on Simucube1, overall the FFB is good.

So you would want them to spend several years trying to rewrite an existing (and basically ancient at this point) engine instead of using a new one that's already up to current standards?

If they do switch, hope they not using something like UE4, better an more dedicated engine. But look at for example iRacing, rF2 and ETS2/ATS, they have all decided to continue on their engine, evolving them over time. Not sure about PCARS (never used it), but guess they still on the same "base".

Maybe that's not possible for a team like Sector 3, so they might better of license an existing engine (like Reiza). My point was I prefer a team that continuous develop their product, over new releases seen with PCARS1/2, Dirt Rally 1/2, Formula 1 series, GT Sports and so on.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Kerb effect is not physic enhancing, it works for flat kerbs just as well as 3D and using canned DirectInput Sawtooth effect for that, Square wave is for flat spots, and they need to confirm what Sine wave is used for.

Kerb effect is not physic enhancing, it works for flat kerbs just as well as 3D
I didn't say it is physics enhancing. I said it just slightly enriches the effects that come from physics. There's kerb effects coming 100% from physics, but many people don't like it because they expect stronger vibration on kerbs, especially the flatter ones, so they add a bit of canned vibration on kerbs.

Which is also exactly what Alex Hodgkinson says in your link: "It doesn't mean that things like flat spots and curbs can't be felt with those effects off, but they boost what is felt."

If they do switch, hope they not using something like UE4, better an more dedicated engine. But look at for example iRacing, rF2 and ETS2/ATS, they have all decided to continue on their engine, evolving them over time.
There really is no dedicated engine outside of the Madness engine and maybe rF2 engine (can't remember the name).

And honestly, in case of every single game you mentioned as an example of those that decided to continue on their engine, maybe, *maybe* with the exception of iRacing, it is painfully obvious they're using old, aged engines that were "polished" for years almost beyond their limits to avoid the hassle (and costs) of switching to a different engine.

• Deleted member 197115

I didn't say it is physics enhancing. I said it just slightly enriches the effects that come from physics. There's kerb effects coming 100% from physics, but many people don't like it because they expect stronger vibration on kerbs, especially the flatter ones, so they add a bit of canned vibration on kerbs.

Which is also exactly what Alex Hodgkinson says in your link: "It doesn't mean that things like flat spots and curbs can't be felt with those effects off, but they boost what is felt."

There really is no dedicated engine outside of the Madness engine and maybe rF2 engine (can't remember the name).

And honestly, in case of every single game you mentioned as an example of those that decided to continue on their engine, maybe, *maybe* with the exception of iRacing, it is painfully obvious they're using old, aged engines that were "polished" for years almost beyond their limits to avoid the hassle (and costs) of switching to a different engine.
It is almost the same as AC, except in AC for that extra Kerb effect they use Constant force instead of Sawtooth periodic effect.
It's artificial effect on the top of what produced by physics engine.
On 2D (flat kerb) you will feel it by itself as there is nothing else otherwise, on the proper 3D kerb it will be extra noise on a top of what comes from suspension.
You may call in "enrichment", but it's not based on the physics.

gMotor (graphics motor)… the number is irrelevant because there's still at least another year before it's "finished" well enough to bother selling. Needs the PBR terrain shaders finished and documented. This is finishing up the DX11 work begun back in 2016 when S397 took the helm.

It's artificial effect on the top of what produced by physics engine.
On 2D (flat kerb) you will feel it by itself as there is nothing else otherwise, on the proper 3D kerb it will be extra noise on a top of what comes from suspension.
You may call in "enrichment", but it's not based on the physics.
Yes. Which is exactly what I'm saying from the beginning. So why do you keep explaining it to me as if I'm not?

Also, I wouldn't call "3D" kerbs "proper", it makes it seem as if the "2D" kerbs are somehow wrong. They're not. All kerbs in the game are track accurate.

• Deleted member 197115

Yes. Which is exactly what I'm saying from the beginning. So why do you keep explaining it to me as if I'm not?

Also, I wouldn't call "3D" kerbs "proper", it makes it seem as if the "2D" kerbs are somehow wrong. They're not. All kerbs in the game are track accurate.
Then my reading or you writing was wrong
" I said it just slightly enriches the effects that come from physics. There's kerb effects coming 100% from physics, but many people don't like it because they expect stronger vibration on kerbs, especially the flatter ones, so they add a bit of canned vibration on kerbs. "

There is no effect on 2d kerb that comes from the physics, so there is nothing to enrich. That's all I wanted to say, I am out.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back