Opinions on R3E: What's yours?

This is fine for ppl happy to dry-lap. RRE has improved over time - but I'm in the, "this is an outdated platform now" club. Best way to vent my frustration = stop buying DLC. When S3 care enough to drag RRE into modern times, I'll restart support. I buy the DLC, yet hardly lap with it - makes zero sense. I'm fed up of dry lapping. it's a personal thing.

We had rain in sims many years ago, then it all went tits-up IMHO. YMMV of course, that's fine. Why were Microprose ahead of their time. How long have I supported this stale engine for now, jeez. I've been doing this for a great many number of years - too long (dry-lapping) tbh. Hence the frustration. Approaching my mid 50's, I'm going to be more selective about who I give my savings to. Free to play software isn't the future. Otherwise S3 would have taken RRE to a modern place already. RRE, feels like a pay-to-improve model to me. By that I mean, RRE just releases tweaks here and there, but the fundamental tech is missing. We own this sim software, but at a UK track, we can't create a cold/overcast/low grip/wet or even damp scenario.

Fair play to Kunos for gambling, and having the passion/balls enough to deliver what some of us long for. By that I mean, driving at differing times of the day, in low grip situations. I get that we all don't see this as the "be all" of simracing. We all have opinions about SMS. At least they could be bothered to create time of day/weather, and moved the genre along. S3 is holding back the only genre I purchase games from. I'm unhappy about this lol. RRE started to feel stale, years ago. Much like how people feel that Codemasters have stunted the growth of the F1 platform, in the many years they've had the licence. Like a huge number of you, I've sunk huge amounts into regularly supporting S3. I hope one day, that a scenario arrives where I look forward to booting the platform and using the content I've purchased.

I know SimBin UK supposedly works on a modern game engine, supporting time of day/weather. Both platforms will likely share the tech. For me, it long overdue. Sorry S3, this is the only genre I enjoy. You starved your own engine of the features I've wanted most for years. It can't get any more broken than it is. You'll get nothing more now, until you care enough to update your engine tech.

My feedback is fairly short and sweet on R3E.

I love the idea of the game, the sounds, the array of cars.

The FFB is utter trash on OSW. It feels like no other sim I have played, and barely feels representative of any car I have driven.

I have spent HOURS trying to dial it in and fail miserably.

I'd love to get it right like I have in AMS, iRacing, RF2, AC, ACC. Alas, R3E seems to be out of my reach.

• Deleted member 197115

My feedback is fairly short and sweet on R3E.

I love the idea of the game, the sounds, the array of cars.

The FFB is utter trash on OSW. It feels like no other sim I have played, and barely feels representative of any car I have driven.

I have spent HOURS trying to dial it in and fail miserably.

I'd love to get it right like I have in AMS, iRacing, RF2, AC, ACC. Alas, R3E seems to be out of my reach.
Is it pre or post December FFB patch feedback?

• Deleted member 197115

I felt a decent improvement after update, but yeah, coming from AC you need to lower your expectations. Better than PCars though.
See if this helps, afraid with OSW, without all extra SC2 filters, getting it to decent level is quite tricky, it has too much oscillation and to tame it down you need lots of dampening, SC2 Ultra Low Latency filter allows to keep oscillation in check with reasonable damping level.

I felt a decent improvement after update, but yeah, coming from AC you need to lower your expectations. Better than PCars though.
See if this helps, afraid with OSW, without all extra SC2 filters, getting it to decent level is quite tricky, it has too much oscillation and to tame it down you need lots of dampening, SC2 Ultra Low Latency filter allows to keep oscillation in check with reasonable damping level.

Thanks Andrew, much appreciated. I'll give it a go tonight!

• Deleted member 197115

Thanks Andrew, much appreciated. I'll give it a go tonight!
Make sure to delete your controller profile and start from the scratch, default profile for SC wheel has special tuning already. This is Sector 3 recommendation, same applies to car setups, they might not work right with new FFB system. In game settings are same as in linked post.
Current SC2 profile. Without Ultra Low Latency you might need to get a bit more aggressive with damping and friction.
1584028933249.png

• Deleted member 197115

@Jens Roos, how do you deal with oscillation with all filters (damping, friction, inertia) disabled.
R3E does not have Gyro like AC or ACC.

In my case it's an non issue, the static friction in standstill do not work, during driving it's not something I notice, i normally prefer an FFB on the little bit stronger side. I have tried herve45 setup/cfg before as well, it's good but different in some ways and aimed at an lighter setup so it's a matter of personal preference of what you like/expect/need etc.

DD1: Recommended wheel base settings:

Sensitivity: Auto

Force Feedback: 100

Shock Vib: 100

ABS: 100

Force: 100

Spring: Off

Damper: 100

Allows the game to make full use of the wheel's damping. If you find there is too much, reduce through the game's Force Feedback Damper setting.

Nat Damper: 10
The natural damper will give you an additional damper which you can adjust from OFF to 100. At 100 you will have the strongest dampening effect which reacts to the acceleration and angle of your steering. If you turn it OFF, your steering will have no additional damping, making it easier to turn the wheel. The Natural Damper is a useful setting to reduce unwanted wheel oscillation. Oscillation is typically caused by latency in the feedback loop, and is more apparent in racing games that are not optimised for high-torque motors. The 32 default value of 50 is a good balance between steering responsiveness and oscillation mitigation.
An extra layer of damping which is applied at the wheel, separately to the game. Useful to tune out oscillations but will remove sharpness. I recommend you keep values very small (<10) here.

Natural Friction: 5
From the Fanatec user manual:
The natural damper will give you an additional damper which you can adjust from OFF to 100. At 100 you will have the strongest dampening effect which reacts to the acceleration and angle of your steering. If you turn it OFF, your steering will have no additional damping, making it easier to turn the wheel. The Natural Damper is a useful setting to reduce unwanted wheel oscillation. Oscillation is typically caused by latency in the feedback loop, and is more apparent in racing games that are not optimised for high-torque motors.
Use this value to tune out any oscillations and also to take up any slack/dead feeling around the centre of the wheel travel. I recommend you keep values very small (<10) here.

Brake Force: Max

Force Feedback Intensity: 100

This parameter adjusts the overall intensity of force effects and can make effects smoother: OFF is very smooth while 100 is very sharp and direct. Tuning this parameter can help to refine a harsh or spiky force feedback signal in some games.

What I like.....
Sounds... I still think they're some of the best.
The cockpit details...lots of intricate details.
Curbing feel...very pronounced as you go over rumble strips.
Low resources...It runs very smoothly on average hardware.
Track variety...Lots of circuits not ordinarily offered in simracing.

What I don't care for....
Too many cars to properly get right.
With so many models, it becomes impossible to get properly-detailed physics.
The result is therefore, some content with vague handling...to put it kindly.
The whole skins marketing thing is annoying.
Sell me the car complete...no nickle and 'dime-ing' on skins.
That is probably my biggest gripe with this title and the number one reason it gets so little running.
Sketchy balance under braking even at very low speed.
Some cars still exhibit exaggerated rates of understeer with even the slightest of braking during very, very low-speed turn-in until you get completely off the pedal.
They'll then snap to match the turn-in request.

Last edited:
DD1: Recommended wheel base settings:

Sensitivity: Auto

Force Feedback: 100

Shock Vib: 100

ABS: 100

Force: 100

Spring: Off

Damper: 100

Allows the game to make full use of the wheel's damping. If you find there is too much, reduce through the game's Force Feedback Damper setting.

Nat Damper: 10

An extra layer of damping which is applied at the wheel, separately to the game. Useful to tune out oscillations but will remove sharpness. I recommend you keep values very small (<10) here.

Natural Friction: 5
From the Fanatec user manual:

Use this value to tune out any oscillations and also to take up any slack/dead feeling around the centre of the wheel travel. I recommend you keep values very small (<10) here.

Brake Force: Max

Force Feedback Intensity: 100

I have try this settings... weeks a go you post it. On my g27 the ffb feels goo, it was good. But on my dd1 is dead.... borring ffb, no road feel. Is like driving a truck, with sand. Please repair the ffb mr Hodgkinson. Rre was one together with rfactor 2 my favorite sim to go with all the beautifull car classes!
Why have Ams 1 a good ffb...? Its the same motor?!

Please repair this!

Sorry you're not happy, but I dialled that in exactly as I want it to be, based on gathered data and 22 years worth of real world track experience. It is my profile and I drive with those settings on average 5 hours daily.

Are you using the fanatec beta drivers?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 277 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing