Official 'Record Run' Video of the VW I.D R Pikes Peak

Volkswagen-I.D.R..jpg

Watch Dumas and the VW Prototype climb the legendary Pikes Peak!

As we covered in our previous news article, the VW I.D. R smashed last month the Pikes Peak record by about 18 seconds, impressing with the capabilities of the sleek looking prototype over the 12 miles long (20 km) track.

Volkswagen now released the official video from the record-breaking run, showing the feat by numerous angles, including an on-board camera! Two interesting things to notice: the way the prototype moves neatly around the winding racetrack, resulting in almost a charming dance around the edge of the limits of both the car and course; and the use of the right-foot braking technique from Dumas. You have to consider in fact that in an electric car there cannot be any overlapping of throttle and brake inputs. Quoting @Jimlaad43 "An electric motor can't give out power and regen at the same time, and most electric motors shut off completely if asked to do both". Basically, applying throttle and brake together means asking the motor to spin in two different directions (forward and backwards) at the same time, hence why it is not possible. In addition, Dumas was reported saying that by using his right foot he could maximise deceleration, which is key to get the best efficiency out of electric cars.

Have you seen the video? What are your impressions of it?
Let us know in the comments!

Last edited:
I wonder how he'd do on the track as it was before they paved it in 2011? ;)

pikes peak.jpg

One way or the other ... that thing is REAL fast. I didn't see a wiggle or a bobble anywhere.

Last edited:
do not forget that an electric motor does not lose power at altitude, a combustion engine loses 30 to 40% of power at altitude, moreover it is not the same category because electric, flat bottom brf it looks more like an F1 or proto lmp1, for me Sebastien loeb still has records in his category anyway the record is made for beaten

The future of motorsport is Fast and Boring. No gearing and the coil whine on my GPU has a better sound. I imagine that eventually all motorsport will go this way. I find it quite ironic that i can enjoy watching digital recreations of combustion engines more than acutal racing with electric motors...passionless, next will be hovercars and we wont even be able to say adhesion FML

The future of motorsport is Fast and Boring. No gearing and the coil whine on my GPU has a better sound. I imagine that eventually all motorsport will go this way. I find it quite ironic that i can enjoy watching digital recreations of combustion engines more than acutal racing with electric motors...passionless, next will be hovercars and we wont even be able to say adhesion FML
Next step is racing without drivers

Not quite sure what the part about regenerating and braking is about. Using regenerative braking makes the run possible with a smaller, lighter battery, sure, but the car still has brakes and a ECU is determining if and how much regen to use to assist braking. The driver can still brake the same.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back