oculus latest update, 10/09/18

Cote Dazur

SIM Addict
todays update is preventing my GTX1080ti/CV1 to work.
This morning all was fine and this afternoon after the update nothing works.
anyone else is on the same boat?
Does someone has a solution?

This is a bit off topic, but this latest experience with Oculus has left a bad taste in my mouth. Has anyone used the Samsung Odyssey with AC? How does it do performance-wise? Any stuttering or FPS problems? The one thing the rift has going for it is the excellent ASW ; I'd hate losing that.

Upvote 0
The ASW is the only thing that has kept my Rift from being smashed into a hundred pieces. It's the only way to make up for the GARBAGE performance I've been getting over the past month.

Upvote 0
I just powered up my sim rig for the first time in a week and was greeted with a message about an Oculus update.

Am I already dead?

Hmmm.... that would be 1.32 official then.

It's not been forced upon me yet and I'm still using Homeless, (since 1.31), without any issue whatsoever. I wonder if that will still be possible once I'm up-to-date with 1.32 although I suppose I should see how things fair with that running first.

You never know, all previous woes might have been addressed! :)

Upvote 0
Hmmm.... that would be 1.32 official then.

It's not been forced upon me yet and I'm still using Homeless, (since 1.31), without any issue whatsoever. I wonder if that will still be possible once I'm up-to-date with 1.32 although I suppose I should see how things fair with that running first.

You never know, all previous woes might have been addressed! :)
I've managed to ignore the message and refuse the update for use with AC and Content Manager, but there's an update message in the headset between races so I guess my Rift is borked for any Oculus VR apps until I update it.

What a right royal pain in the ass.

Seriously thinking of importing an Odyssey+ now. It's supposed to be great for sim racing.

Upvote 0
I've managed to ignore the message and refuse the update for use with AC and Content Manager, but there's an update message in the headset between races so I guess my Rift is borked for any Oculus VR apps until I update it.

What a right royal pain in the ass.

Seriously thinking of importing an Odyssey+ now. It's supposed to be great for sim racing.
You might want to read this first about the Odyssey+:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9vhcu1/samsung_odyssey_plus_review_specific_to_flight/
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9vfas4/my_odyssey_review_rift_owner_since_dk2/
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9v2wn9/samsung_odyssey_should_have_been_called_the/
It's not all good news...

Upvote 0
I've recently formatted to try and cure some of these Rift issues I've been having. I am running an old driver that I saved when all was running great and I've had some success. I am running 1.32 with homeless and I feel that the smoothness has come back. Granted, I've reinstalled AC from scratch and left out pretty much all graphics mods, too. This would help overall performance, but still shouldn't be responsible for the stutters and inconsistent frame rate when I have headroom.

So far so good but I need to use it more. Been so busy with other stuff that I haven't spent much time in the seat after the format.

Upvote 0
Did you have to reinstall Homeless?

Yes mate.

Firstly I put the original Home2-Win64-Shipping.exe back in to:

C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-worlds\Home2\Binaries\Win64

I let the update apply itself, ran the Oculus client to check all was good and then AC & rF2, just to be sure. No issues there.

Then copied the Homeless version of Home2-Win64-Shipping.exe back to the same directory, renaming the original and all was good.

For info I've also set the Oculus client to 'run as administrator' because I prefer to launch it when I want to, rather than it being automatically launched when the HMD is moved.

Upvote 0
'Homeless' mod still works for me after the 1.32 update. :thumbsup:

Whether it's now needed or not is another matter but I like it and vr performance remains strong.
It's needed.
The 1.32 update was just forced through, as in Oculus would not let me use my own Rift without updating, which also meant I had to free up 12GB of space on my SSD. I tried it as it came and sure enough, the farty room appeared complete with resource-hogging bells and whistles (BUT STILL WITHOUT THE TABLE TO MY RIGHT SO THE OBJECTS ON IT ARE STILL FLOATING IN SPACE. OCULUS YOU STUPID ASSHOLES, CALL THIS AN UPDATE? YOU CAN'T EVEN FIX A VIRTUAL FRIGGING TABLE) and AC runs like some ghosting 10fps judderfest.

OCULUS, YOU ARE IDIOTS. IDIOTS.

I'm about to reinstall Homeless and if that doesn't work then I'm done.
What about all the poor users out there who don't frequent forums, who aren't tech-savvy, who now think their Rifts or GPUs are just broken? Hell, I wasted a day's holiday trying to figure out what was wrong after the last update, and was about to jump in the car and make a long trip to exchange my Rift after convincing myself it was broken.
The damn arrogance of Oculus in this matter absolutely infuriates me.

Upvote 0
Add a few more swear words in that post, @Mascot, and you'd be convinced it was me typing it.

I TOLD you blokes that my frame rates and timings were completely forked going back to the Rift. It's a mess. I'm actually not too bad now doing what I've said above, but things like this make me miss my triples so much.

VR is fantastic when it's all roses. But the fact Facebook now owns it, combined with the resources required to run it even half decent, the heat, the cable, titles that do not support it, need it go on, just makes it such a difficult beast to live with. I swear if it was your mate you'd throw the TV at him.

Upvote 0
Well, I added the Oculus Homeless .exe and just did some testing and everything *seems* fine.
I ran my usual test, a 20-car grid of GT3s at Spa, all different cars (2/3 of which are mods with bad LODs), dry, daytime, with Ilja's shader patch active. Everything was as smooth as ASW silk.

Is it my imagination or are ASW artifacts slightly reduced with this update? Oculasshats (as they shall henceforth be known) haven't shoehorned ASW 2.0 into this update, have they? I doubt it, and it's probably placebo. I'm sure they would have made a big fuss about it, unless we are being used as guinea pigs. I need to do some further testing with a track/car combo that normally highlights wobbly edges.

Upvote 0
@Mascot I feel your pain bud.

I must be very lucky as with Homeless I'm getting really acceptable and smooth performance. I was actually dreading it not working after the latest update though.

FWIW I've also recently gone through the exercise of removing unnecessary start up & background processes, switching off all notifications in Windows and temporarily disabling real time AV scanning.

Crikey, looking at the ordered list of shortcuts I currently have on my desktop, I now have a pre-race start up procedure that would rival that of an Apollo mission! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, I added the Oculus Homeless .exe and just did some testing and everything *seems* fine.
I ran my usual test, a 20-car grid of GT3s at Spa, all different cars (2/3 of which are mods with bad LODs), dry, daytime, with Ilja's shader patch active. Everything was as smooth as ASW silk.

Is it my imagination or are ASW artifacts slightly reduced with this update? Oculasshats (as they shall henceforth be known) haven't shoehorned ASW 2.0 into this update, have they? I doubt it, and it's probably placebo. I'm sure they would have made a big fuss about it, unless we are being used as guinea pigs. I need to do some further testing with a track/car combo that normally highlights wobbly edges.

Nice mate and that's impressive based on your pretty demanding test environment.

Like you I could swear there has been a slight improvement in fidelity after the latest update but I didn't want to 'rub salt in to your wounds' after reading your 'wake up' post. :D Maybe some optimisation has been undertaken but even if it has, without Homeless, it would be utterly meaningless anyway. I'm actually amazed Oculus haven't provided an option to toggle Home on / off because it would be extremely easy to do so. Would make considerable sense!

Upvote 0
Guys the ASW has been improved. To the point that I find it acceptable to use. Something I would have never thought possible a year ago as a graphics and frame rate whore. I did everything I could to make absolutely certain that warping never occurred over my Christmas testing last year.

Unfortunately, racing online with human opponents and servers with all sorts of things going on tanks the performance of the Rift more than any AI situation I've ever encountered. I've only recently began my journey into the real people racing world and have found it to be the biggest hit to performance out of anything that I am running.

You would think that without the calculations of the AI there would be more headroom but I have found this not to be the case. As such, I've removed all my mods from AC as this is the title I seem to spend the most time in while in leagues. I have been playing with leaving the ASW setting at Auto, meaning that it just comes on when you need it. It seems to have worked well tonight. I used to lock it, so that it would just stay the same frame timing the whole race, but I wanted to also test tonight if I received any performance benefit with my format and removal of graphics mods. It still warped but I felt far less impacted by the Rift this time around than most of the previous outings of the past month or so. I only noticed warping when I was looking for distorted edges on a straight and I wouldn't have picked it up otherwise so that's a definite sign the ASW has been improved. We all look forward to seeing what 2.0 brings to the table. Perhaps a brand new compulsory program to run alongside it, no?

Upvote 0
Sometimes I dont get a picture in my oculus rift when joining or starting a game.

What I use to do to fix the problem is:

Exit the race from my monitor, ALT-TAB to windows, and go to Oculus program -> settings -> Beta -> Restart Oculus

I then can start/join a new race and the image is showing in my oculus rift.

Upvote 0
FYI: I went back to nVidia driver 388.59. I previously had 416.81 on my system. AC always started 'choppy' at the beginning of the race and I had a lot of FPS dips during the race. Sometimes the display would get stuck after a minute or two (game sounds went on, so the GPU driver crashed I guess), but this corrected itself most of the time. Race was lost of course. Went back to 388.59: problems gone.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea