Gents,

after playing on a wheelstand setup for quite some years, I decided to upgrade to a proper rig. I was always hesitant to litter the living room witha full blown rig, so made do with a GT Omega "Classic".

The whole journey started for me with a PS3, GranTurismo 5, a 100" front projection home theater setup and a Thrustmaster T500RS with TH8A. Later I switched to a PC with R3E and AC, modified the pedals with stiffer Mardo Media springs, upgraded to a TM Sparco 383mod, added a Nextion display and braced the wheelstand including Sofa hook-up.

Now playing mostly ACC and got a taste of what it is like with a proper rig and DD wheel which left me wanting.
I guess it is time for a radical change....and even got permission from the missus. :D:thumbsup:

IMGP6817_.jpg IMGP8998_.jpg IMGP8700_.jpg IMGP8704_.jpg

Short update on the championship: It's not going well I have to admit.

I didn't take part in the Misano Race and spun out on the following Spa-Francorchamps race on lap three I believe.
Hard impact into the wall after hitting the inside curb of Blanchimont 2. Luckily I didn't hit anybody else.

After ACC v.1.8 I lost lot of my pace and couldn't regain any of it since. It's quite frustrating I have to say.
I may have to focus more on having fun and less on chasing laptimes I reckon.....

Other than that the button box is woring just fine, I could mend the crack with a bit of super glue.
May change keyboard tray setup very soon again. :whistling:

Upvote 0
The last race of ACCSS Season 10 on Barcelona took place the weekend before Christmas. It was a 90 minute race with a reduced grid. Not sure why, but a larger number of contenders decided not to show up for that one.

Typically I feel quite comfortable on the Circuit de Catalunya, I think it has a nice flow to it. A few gripes with Sector 3 though, I struggle there the most. As always I was not a good qualifier and managed to put the car eleventh on the grid. Would be interesting starting midfield funneling into T1, T2 and T3 I thought before the start.

Race start was quite behaved, I could benefit from the close racing in the first few laps. After that the field spread quite a lot and I couldn't make big inroads with my quite stable mid to high 1:45 lap times. The field was too competitive for that.
That said I could slowly close in to a Lexus ahead of me until my pitstop. But latest after the pitstops were done, I was kind of in a bubble with no-one to race with. I just did my best and brought the car back on 6th overall.
Quite happy with the result, my pace was okay but not on par with the faster bois. Still, I am struggling to gain back my pre-v.1.8 times...

Upvote 0
It's been some time since I updated anything on my rig. In the meantime I enjoyed myself with online sim racing. Still I am super-happy with the setup and the respective settings.

There is one thing I changed, however. I decided to change the ACC video settings towards a resolution scale of 120% and tuning down a few settings from epic to high to counterbalance. In the long run I could see some resolution deficiencies due to the high projection correction of 1.0.
So I have to revise my earlier statement. You can see the stretching effect and you can counter this with higher resolution scale.

Then I am always happy to improve things on immersion and ergonomics. The most basic thing was, that my aqua shoes I used for racing were failing after countless hours of abuse. I really disliked the wear on the rubber sole (and the remains of that on the pedals) and the feel of the soles back on my heel in the long run. Plus they have no side to side support, which can be unnerving under hard braking.
I have a pair of Karting shoes, which I always liked in terms of feel through the thin sole, but the stability of them and side support they offer. Not so keen on wearing leather boots in the sim rig however.

I now discovered a new shoe from Sparco, the "Hyperdrive", and took the plunge. It is basically a Karting shoe, but with breathable mesh and lots of side support. As I was at it I also ordered the new "Hypergrip+" gloves.
View attachment 472310View attachment 472311View attachment 472312

I already have the predecessor, the "Hypergrip" with the velcro fasteners, but they kind of degrade quickly if you wash them often (by hand). I kind of liked their tight fit and very thin, touch sensitive fabric on the fingers while protecting the palm with small cushions at the same time. My other Sparco Mecca 3 are quite comfy, but I am too clumsy to operate my keypad during hectic pit stops for example.

First you have to know, when buying Italian products: The are always tighter than you think. Be prepared to go up in one size if you don't want them to act as a second skin.
That said I ordered the shoes according to their centimeter table and the gloves in the same size as my previous Hypergrips.
Both the Hypergrip+ and the Hyperdrive fit perfectly. The real problem is to put them on!
Very very tight on the sleeves. It is almost painful them get into them to be honest.
Maybe ordering them one size larger would alleviate this.
BTW the laces on the Hyperdrive are for show only. They do nothing when I wear the shoes. You can probably imagine what a tight fit these shoes are.
As for the Hypergrip+....if you do not loathe velcro fasteners on your gloves, I would recommend to go for the older Hypergrip. They feel the same as the Hypergrip+ but are much easier to fit. And they are discounted on some websites.

The other thing I'd like to share was something that was so obvious but never occured as an option to me. My Brother really enjoys his ambient lighting using Philips Hue light bulbs and LED strips. You can configure them and operate them with your smartphone via app and there is even a sync app for windows to sync the lights with your videos for example.
I never thought about using that to sync to a racing game like ACC! But others did and I recently discovered their videos on that. The first video I saw was from Will Ford from Boosted Media, but he referenced a much lesser known channel from Biro, called SimGP. His video had all the info including placement, settings and advice. Really great stuff!

So I ordered a basic set to experiment myself! What I needed was a Philips Hue Bridge and I opted for one Hue Play lamp, which is about 100€ in total. But I can connect up to 49 more hue lights to the Bridge in the future....
View attachment 472315

So currently I am experimenting with placement and settings, but the first results are really encouraging. Even with only one light this gives you a really nice effect.
I will show some results later, when I am happy with my setup and the settings. Some things like HDR and actual placement get in the way a bit, but I will find a way to optimise ...

If you're into immersive sim racing and augmented reality, you should give this a shot!
Saw your videos and all regarding this and went out the same day and bought 2 from best buy and some black steel piping from lowes. lol

Upvote 0
Saw your videos and all regarding this and went out the same day and bought 2 from best buy and some black steel piping from lowes. lol
Hahaha, glad I could inspire you mate! I saw also other people on YT experimenting with this. Some of them incorporate multiple lights and have different setups. So for sure worthwhile to experiment with the positioning. That said I found it quite straightforward to get good results. Have fun!

Upvote 0
Since I installed my "light gantry" / "light portal" I removed the night light I strapped to the right seat head bolster before. I was sure I would find a better solution for it, but wasn't too motivated back then and had it lying around.
Until a few days ago... I grabbed the Dremel and some sanding paper and reduced the length of the square aluminum profile housing as much as possible. Instead of the plastic cap at the end of the lamp I put a cable organizer block I had lying around. The night lamp sits now right beneath the Hue Play light.
The first rough version works extremely well, better than ever before and visually less obvious on the rig. I will fiddle around with it a bit more and finish the lamp in due time: Need to clean up cabling and a fresh lick of paint mainly. For now I am using a small piece of baking paper to make the light more diffuse, which works quite well I have to say. Might change that solution in the future though.
DSCF4878.JPGDSCF4875.JPGDSCF5020(1).jpg

Upvote 0
I think I finalized my keyboard-solution ... for now. :D

No seriously, in the end I bought the angled TrakRacer keyboard tray and mashed it up with the Treq version I installed a few weeks ago. Additionally I adjusted the height of the assembly on the left upright, shortened the middle 40x40 profile between the two pivot joints as well as the upright-side stubby 40x40 (which lowers the tendency of the arm to sag compared to mounting the joint directly to the upright).
Quite happy now,, not ideal but close.

Working on an additional light at the moment and have to finish up the night light.
Thinking of adding a different cooling solution (wind sim?) at the moment. :geek:
DSCF5286.JPGDSCF5438.JPG
DSCF5439.JPGDSCF5440.JPG
DSCF5446.JPG

Upvote 0
Thanks for sharing Herve!
I saw this design from TrakRacer! It was contesting against the Treq one, which I bought instead a few weeks back. I think the Treq one is more sleek and needs less space. Personal preference.

The problem that I had is that I need to install the keyboard tray rather high to be able to use it in front of me while seated. It JUST clears the rim to be honest and JUST clears my legs as well. So a tight fit.
Problem with the above designs was the flat keyboard tray plate. Very awkward to type on the keyboard that high up. Not comfy at all.
If you go back a bit in this thread you will see I had a SimLabs one installed before on the right upright before I installed the Button Box. I had that angled as well.

Upvote 0
As already hinted at, I attached another light to the rig. Unfortunately the steering wheel and button box labels are not fluorescent, hence do not profit from the night light I added to the light portal earlier. Especially the markings of the lit buttons are hard to read in the dark with only the night light active.
To make it as simple as possible I bought a small USB LED and an USB-cable with a switch to attach to the monitors back side. USB is connected to the monitor itself. I used small adhesive pads and cable ties for that. Not elegant, but effective. I can reach for the switch from my seating position easily.
DSCF5939.JPGDSCF5949.JPGDSCF5932.JPG

It is a bit difficult to capture, but now the buttons are much easier to differentiate during night sessions. (The most important button, the flasher, can be found easily though... :roflmao: )
DSCF5937.JPG

Additionally I finally received and managed to attach the button guard to the pit limiter button on the AUDI R8 LMS GT3 steering wheel. I had to modify the height of the 3D printed part to make the button easier to operate while wearing gloves.
DSCF5947.JPG

Next night race coming up tonight on ACCSS Pro split , so thrilled to be immersed in the night setting again. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am wanting to do something very similar wit my keyboard layout like what you did, however maybe adding another tiny length of 4040 and another hinge so it can pivot all the way out of the way when getting in/out and also when not in use. It is kinda hard to explain but I saw a picture of someone having it setup like that and it gave me the idea. Here is a drawing to explain what I am talking about. Note that the sections would actually be very small except for the blue one that you would want to be at least half the length of the keyboard tray, esp for option 1 of the drawing.

Also, just wondering if you have ever considered getting and setting up an eye tracker? I am still in the process of setting up my rig. Thanks Covid for the long shipping backlog times (took me 4 months to recieve my fanatec order). I do have an eye tracker, still in the box that I am wanting to hook up to my rig, however am unsure of how its going to workout since it is supposed to attach below the monitor. However, I think then ill run into issues with it clipping due to the steering wheel. If I can get it working correctly though it will be an extremely nice addition to these super ultrawide monitors.

P.S. My fanatec order finally arrived 3 days after I had surgery on my ankle. So now I am just sitting here looking at $3k worth of parts just sitting in boxes. lol :cry:

Attachments

• layout.png
    layout.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 50
Upvote 0
This is where I am at currently in my upgrade process. I am having a friend come by over the weekend to help assemble and test my fanatec wheels, pedals, shifters, etc. I want to make sure nothing is defective since I can't use it till my ankle heals. Least it will make for good physical therapy once the doc gives me the go ahead.

Attachments

• Entire rig before fanatec installed.jpg
    Entire rig before fanatec installed.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 73
  • Wheels in staging.jpg
    Wheels in staging.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 71
  • BKAs on pedal deck.jpg
    BKAs on pedal deck.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 67
  • BKA under seat.jpg
    BKA under seat.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Amps.jpg
    Amps.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 0
@chris82009 Hey Chris! I understand your needs regarding keyboard tray setup. Honestly speaking I never came across such an elaborate layout with 4 joints before though. Hence I didn't really consider it. The additional use case of having the keyboard direct to my side is not really relevant for me.
Keep in mind to get good pivoting joints that don't sag much. Otherwise it will be a pain with 4 of them. Also the initial mounting to the upright is key to minimize sagging. The solution I found is quite good, but maybe there are others as well.
The hardest thing to get right was to get the correct and comfy height relative to my arms reach and still be able to clear my legs and the steering wheel. When you have all other components of your setup dialed in in the right positions, fitting a protruding keyboard tray might be difficult. At least that was my experience.....
At the moment my current setup is serving me really well. I like it even better than my original setup before I got the button box (which also worked quite well).

Indeed I used a head tracker before. I purchased a wireless EdTracker Pro a while ago when I was still on the home cinema setup with the front projection. To be fair it worked quite well to extend my view to the left and right, but could never quench my thirst for a real wide screen or triple setup.
Since I drive cockpit view the virtual cockpit also shifts when turning and tilting my head which feels weird and breaks the immersion for me. Could never get over that. Hence the EdTracker is kind of just sitting in a drawer unused for a while now....
I was thinking of using it again, but didn't feel the need so far since the 32:9 monitor gives me plenty of field of view. I'd rather switch to triples than reactivating the EdTracker again.

I wish you a speedy recovery mate! In the meantime take your time optimizing the setup so that you're good to go when it matters. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, I am saving the keyboard for dead last because I know it will be hard to get it dialed in correctly. I imagine squeezing the keyboard under the wheel and above your legs is a pain. Hence the idea about having it just to the side most of the time. I know I will most likely have to do a good bit of trial and error to figure out what works best for me with my setup. In some ways I think setting up the keyboard to feel right will be the hardest thing to do, assembly wise.

I went with the tobii eye tracker 5, I believe it can do head tracking as well, but I will most likely turn that off, and also turn off the y axis, and just dial in the x axis to where when looking right I can get a good view of side view mirror or maybe the front of a competitors car. When looking left I imagine you would be able to get a really good view of the car to the side of you. I have seen people dial them in fairly well on smaller screens to where when looking into corners it looked more natural. I imagine on a UW screen you could dial it in to where it barely shifts your view, but also gives you just enough to achieve a more IMO realistic sight line into upcoming turns and such.

I figured an eye tracker w/ a SUW would give almost close to triple feel while maybe also having some more immersion similar to a VR headset. I couldn't use triples due to already having my computer connected to my desktop with two monitors on it already. Plus some games I play dont support triples well. The other thought was vr. However, I quickly ruled that out because IMO there is just too many cons for VR.

Upvote 0
Maybe you just have to try eye tracking and see how it works for you. Personally I would have to somehow use a different view, where the dashboard and dash are not displayed on screen and use e.g. my Nextion screen as dash as I did way earlier. Again, moving your head and the dashboard moves with the head while the physical wheel in front of me is still static really put me off.

I also just kept x-axis movement, mind you. The whole tilting, y and z is IMO not needed in sim racing.
Back then I fiddled with dead zone, acceleration of movement and such to make it usable. I was playing AC and R3E at the time.
One other thing I noticed was that I cramped up my neck at times when I did not want to have camera movement (hence I adjusted also dead zone). Had some real neck pain at times. :roflmao:
It also took quite a while to adjust finding my reference points and turn-in. I was quite rubbish in the beginning. :roflmao:Similar to when you go VR I reckon.

Now my FOV covers the whole front screen and the left side mirror. So only the right side mirror is "missing". But due to my virtual seating position the right seat bolster would be in the way anyhow. I would have to lean forward and look to the right to be able to see the right wing mirror.
In ACC I also make use of the radar of course.

After all I found head tracking a nice gimmick with little real benefits. Was an enjoyable journey though.
Maybe completely different for you with eye tracking!

Upvote 0
Yeah with the dashboard being on screen I could see how that would be an issue. I am going to be using this dashboard so maybe that may help make it easier for me. Guess time will tell, once I get it all set up and get in there racing, I will report back and let you know how it all worked out for me.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1105175866/5-sim-racing-dash-display-ddu-105-28leds?click_key=491f865a13e70fcc091d0e0613de13318e402e74:1105175866&click_sum=2be4a983&ref=sold_out-5
Nice! Yeah, you're probably right. This might not be that much of an issue for you. Maybe also you have your screen setup differently that you wouldn't see the dash with your view settings anyway. In this scenario I might be wanting to try and use eye tracking, too.

Upvote 0
Nice! Yeah, you're probably right. This might not be that much of an issue for you. Maybe also you have your screen setup differently that you wouldn't see the dash with your view settings anyway. In this scenario I might be wanting to try and use eye tracking, too.
Well, here is the promised update. The eye tracker cannot be positioned above the monitor due to their design(software). Also, I cannot correctly position it below the monitor because then the steering wheel/s get in the way. I could have moved the monitor up technically to force it to work, however that would have obviously messed with the correct viewing angle of the monitor. (For me this is a no go) Luckily, I can use this on my other monitor that I use for regular gaming.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

We have some discussion on Tobii here, including all the cons making it pretty much unusable for sim racing applications.

Upvote 0
@chris82009 can you not fix the eye tracker onto the top of your Etsy dash, there is should possibly have a clear line of sight to your face (as you need to see the dash, so the dash will also see your face too by return…)

Just an idea… but maybe not a goer in practice possibly…

Upvote 0
Well, here is the promised update. The eye tracker cannot be positioned above the monitor due to their design(software). Also, I cannot correctly position it below the monitor because then the steering wheel/s get in the way. I could have moved the monitor up technically to force it to work, however that would have obviously messed with the correct viewing angle of the monitor. (For me this is a no go) Luckily, I can use this on my other monitor that I use for regular gaming.
Thank you for the feedback. I wouldn't have thought that you might fail to implement the solution at the early stage of installation even....

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea