Head Tracking options

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 197115

• Deleted member 197115

Anyone using any, what is the most popular choice these days?
- TrackIR 5 (expensive for what is is, fragile plastic build quality, no wireless, easy to setup)
- Delan Clip (has wireless option, OpenTrack software setup is more involving)
- TrackHat (has wireless option, custom software, not sure if better than OpenTrack)
- FaceTrackNoir (don't need to wear any trackers but not sure about CPU load and reliability)
- EdTracker (went belly up)

Seems like it is a close tie between DelanClip and TrackHat, both have wireless clip options, DelanClip seems to be on the market longer and at least web site looks more professional, more expensive too. If anyone had experience with both, please share feedback.
Thanks

• Deleted member 197115

After more research seems like TrackIR 5 still offers the best camera/software combo with lag free precise tracking. Plastic Track Clip Pro build quality is a downside but looks like Delan Clip and TrackHat both work with TrackIR 5 camera/software, so you can get one of them later when Clip Pro gives up.

I used a TrackiR 5 with a trackhat clip ziptied to my headset and worked really well. It is a fragile 3D printed plastic though and the part that has the holes for the zipties can break easily, but its fine if you look after it. It does work better than the passive ones you fit to a hat for sure. Can't stand wearing a hat simracing.

Can also use track IR for motion platform compensation with triples but not sure about VR.

While not using it much anymore I like EDTracker.
Looks like the diy are offline now but you can still buy the complete package.
No camera not hat just mount it on your headset any are good to go.
With opentracker you can add filters. and eliminate axis you do not want/need.

Close to zero Cpu impact and problem free while good fun to build it yourself.

Hi. I am quite a fan of TrackIR the way I'm using it. I have the 'pro' version that has powered led lights on the clip.

First, there is zero data going through the usb connection that goes to the led clip. It is only basic power that the wire is used for. If you're a bit brave, you can quite easily do a bit of soldering and modifying it so you don't have the cord hanging around. (I can post pics of mine if you're interested, just let me know.... but I made a simple magnet attachment to clip mine to the side of my headphones, trimmed/shortened the wires, and just added a cheap battery pack to the entire thing that sits right on the side of my headphones. Works beautiful, and I consider it 'wireless' now)

I don't think I'd like it with a smaller monitor, but I find it absolutely fantastic with my 32:9 monitor. You can adjust the sensitivity of the movement, so I have mine turned way down so it just adjusts the view when I look to the left/right of the screen (and with a 32:9, you are already turning your head anyway). It just allows about 20 degrees more view, which makes a massive difference. It's also not too sensitive and jumping around. But with a smaller monitor, I'd get annoyed quickly with the whole turning head vs. keeping eyes ahead.

The software is quite good, and I have never noticed any conflict or issues with any sim when using it. I don't even think there's any fps impact.

Only thing you need to watch out for is if you have windows or reflections behind you that the camera might pick up. You can adjust the sensitivity in the software, but in case there are windows in the camera's view, you might need to have some blinds or curtains just to limit any confusion to the camera.

Let me know if you're interested in more info on the way I have mine setup.

Here are some pics to understand better.
- the battery is just the smallest powerbank I could find. Still looking for something even smaller because this will last for weeks or longer. When installed I don't really notice it there, but smaller would be better.
- I just mounted the main track-ir piece to the side of the battery using some hot-glue and a bit of vinyl wrap. I made a basic attachment at the back out of plastic with a couple of strong magnets in it. The short black pieces are just pieces of plastic to 'key' it onto the headphones so it doesn't rotate/twist when installed.
- The wire is shortened, and I just plug it into the power bank when using it, and unplug when not.
- Second pic is just installed to my headphones. I made a thin metal piece to attach to the side of the headphones (no damage, just held there with 2 sided tape and then wrapped in some black vinyl... can't even tell it's any different than the other side. The magnets in the other piece hold it there quite well.

I will eventually find/change to a smaller battery, and make a cleaner connection/wire with a power switch. Project for another day though.

Edit: not my idea. I saw someone else do something similar on YouTube or a forum somewhere.

Edit 2: what I did was a bit of 'surgery' to the original piece, so it cannot be anymore converted back to original. But I am 100% sure that someone with a bit of very basic electronics knowledge could make one of these on their own, very easy for not much $. A bit of plastic or metal shaping for the arm, a few little IR leds and some power is all that's needed for the camera to see it.

TrackIR 2.jpeg

Headset 2.jpeg

Last edited:
I just got a PS Eye camera and built myself the clip with three IR LEDs powered by USB and used it with OpenTrack. By far the cheapest of all the options and worked perfectly fine and smooth. But I could also never get used to using it. While it's nice to be able to see into tight corners better, the fact that you basically lose the point of reference for keeping the car pointed where you need to and/or the first slight visual cues of the car starting to slide was never a good tradeoff for me. Maybe there's a way to set it all up so you don't get that issue, but I spent a lot of time tweaking it and could never find it. I still use it sometimes, but usually don't bother (don't need to make myself drive even worse).

• Deleted member 197115

I just got a PS Eye camera and built myself the clip with three IR LEDs powered by USB and used it with OpenTrack. By far the cheapest of all the options and worked perfectly fine and smooth. But I could also never get used to using it. While it's nice to be able to see into tight corners better, the fact that you basically lose the point of reference for keeping the car pointed where you need to and/or the first slight visual cues of the car starting to slide was never a good tradeoff for me. Maybe there's a way to set it all up so you don't get that issue, but I spent a lot of time tweaking it and could never find it. I still use it sometimes, but usually don't bother (don't need to make myself drive even worse).
Yeah, that was my impression as well when experimenting with FaceTrackNoir and Aruco. It's weird to have head turned and keeping eyes on monitor.
How about Tobii Eye Tracker, anyone use it?

and ACC, there is no native support, you need to use FaceTrackNoIR (that blob on screen can be disabled, btw)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 197115

Have done some research on Tobii.
Nice device, supports both eye and head tracking and no need to wear any gadgets attached to your head.
BUT, two big problems.
1) The maximum supported screen sizes are:
  • 27 inches with a 16:9 Aspect Ratio
  • 30 inches with a 21:9 Aspect Ratio
2) Tobii must be mounted at the bottom of the monitor or it doesn't track properly otherwise, unfortunately for us simmers this is the area that is blocked by steering wheel in most setups.

But I could also never get used to using it. While it's nice to be able to see into tight corners better, the fact that you basically lose the point of reference for keeping the car pointed where you need to and/or the first slight visual cues of the car starting to slide was never a good tradeoff for me. Maybe there's a way to set it all up so you don't get that issue, but I spent a lot of time tweaking it and could never find it. I still use it sometimes, but usually don't bother (don't need to make myself drive even worse).

I had this same issue too, and here's what I did.
- I think the bigger monitor makes a difference, since it means you need less movement onscreen overall (larger fov)
- I found that setting up the TrackIR software to literally have it mirror your head movement as close as possible, helps. The more movement there is in relation to how you are really moving your head, I think just causes confusion. I can't use it when the movement is un-natural (at least not for driving sims)
- It needs to be subtle. Just enough to give you a bit more, but not so much to confuse your brain.

While not using it much anymore I like EDTracker.
Looks like the diy are offline now but you can still buy the complete package.
No camera not hat just mount it on your headset any are good to go.
With opentracker you can add filters. and eliminate axis you do not want/need.

Close to zero Cpu impact and problem free while good fun to build it yourself.
Before I went full VR I also was a happy EDTracker user. Earlier I had a DelanClip / PS3Eye combo, but experienced a bit too much interference with other light sources.
The EDTracker just worked flawlessly with little to none drift.

I didn't try TrackIR, but in my experience FacetrackNoir is alright (6axes, glasses and beard don't help, kinda delicate), EdTracker is very good (cable, 3 axes, cost money, can work in pitch black), Aruco tracker is the best (6 axes, no hardware, just a paper marker, works alright in medium light, very precise). I would be very surprised if TrackIR had 150$ + shipping advantage over Aruco. It's free, give it a try.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

I have used Aruco in the past, guess it depends on camera as on my 30fps Logitech it was pretty temperamental.
Long story short, went for TrackIR 5 with Pro Clip.

@alfye20 No. I would be interested to strictly from the curiosity point of view, but I frankly can't imagine how what I have could be improved in those aspects. TrackIR has basically identical specs, and Opentrack can be tweaked a lot.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 286 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years