AC Multiclass Skoda Octavia/Mazda MX5@Spa, Wednesday 25th August 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Hmm, but the practice server isn't a S.GP server.

@Steve Worrell Got any ideas?

@Neilski Got any ideas?
What leaves me clueless is the fact, that the SGP site shouldn't check, if I have installed the correct mod already. Should it??? So not showing me the thumbnails of the Skoda and not showing me a download link to it can't be a problem on my site. Can it?

I downloaded the mod from the link provided in this thread earlier.

So I still hope, it may be an issue with the SGP site but hopefully no issue, when it comes to entering the server tonight.

I downloaded the mod from the link provided in this thread earlier.

I posted that link, it's a copy/paste from the link found under the "Mod's" tab in the race's page at Simracing.gp so it's the right mod... weird that it does not show the thumbnails. I couldn't find the car on AC's car menu (no Skoda logo) the first time around (I don't use CM). Only after I did some laps on the practice server it showed up on my menu... so, that Skoda may come with some gremlins under the hood... :confused:

Hey guys. This looks like a bug. Can you send me the link to the event please. Will investigate asap.

Here you go Steve! Only Reik has this problem as far as I know!

Last edited:
@boomRoasted

I have always assumed heel and toe is used in the same way that paddle shift system match’s engine revs to gears. to stop rear wheels locking on changing down through the gears whilst braking at the same time.
but the real saving is going up the gears, people probably change up with out lifting.
In fact come to think of it I was chatting to Ian Curly ( mini race cars ) he said he damages a lot of gear box’s in being violent with his gear changes on his dog box’s
I had the opportunity to look at some F1 data of the engine revs to gear change, again I was told by the engineer that they use the space between the dog teeth to create the change, you could almost say both gears engaged at the same time, not quite true.
You could only just see on the engine Rev graph a very slight blip As the change occurred.
Again only told and shown, no real self experience to go on here, so someone more knowledgeable may chime in and add some more knowledge or corrections.

Last edited:
When I tried the Skoda, even though the Skoda was added to the pro tyres app data mod set, it still would not shown any tyre data.
it is like the name of the car is wrong. Ie tmm_Skod …..etc.

The quickshifter on a motorcycle (and probably on a dogbox, too) works wirh a momentarily torque reduction, mostly by retarding the ignition, sometimes "ommiting" Injection cycles.

Thats of course much faster then releasing the throttle.

In no gear box of the (real) world a manual shift can be faster than a dog box or double clutch gear box .
(Cough CHEATING, cough) ;-)

MFG Carsten

Last edited:
I've noticed this as well. Might be time I invested in a third-party mount for the Playseat Challenge and a shifter. As for the auto-blip I'll have to give it a try both enabled and disabled and see how it changes the dynamics of driving the MX5. If I make a mess of things at least it's still fun.

How so? Is it just a personal preference i.e. does not using the H-shifter break the immersion for you or do you find the car truly undrivable since you have less control of the gear changes?
It's less control. I haven't tried driving it with 'auto-blip / fuel cut-off' enabled, but we don't use that on the server anyway. Even up changes don't quite 'feel' the same. In braking zones I could downshift from say 5th to 3rd, or 2nd, and get back on throttle. The car felt very nimble and quick. Gear changes feel sluggish, and clunky with the paddleshifters - at least without the automatic features on. There's rev-hang for instance. Gearshifts were snappier with the h-box. I can try it, but again we don't use that on the server, and I wouldn't ask them to. The H-box is much better for cars that have a manual gearbox. Also my wheel is falling apart lol. I sometimes get a double-shift going up, and some other issues (throttle pot is a bit wonky.) She's getting old.

@boomRoasted

I have always assumed heel and toe is used in the same way that paddle shift system match’s engine revs to gears. to stop rear wheels locking on changing down through the gears whilst braking at the same time.
but the real saving is going up the gears, people probably change up with out lifting.
In fact come to think of it I was chatting to Ian Curly ( mini race cars ) he said he damages a lot of gear box’s in being violent with his gear changes on his dog box’s
I had the opportunity to look at some F1 data of the engine revs to gear change, again I was told by the engineer that they use the space between the dog teeth to create the change, you could almost say both gears engaged at the same time, not quite true.
You could only just see on the engine Rev graph a very slight blip As the change occurred.
Again only told and shown, no real self experience to go on here, so someone more knowledgeable may chime in and add some more knowledge or corrections.
I think heel/toe is more about control than shifting. I've watched a race with some crazy heel-toe stuff going on and they mostly did it in the corners, so I think it was about really being on the limit, and not so much about shifting. In my limited experience I've never seen a pro driver skip using the clutch for shifting up or down on a track. Rev-matching is something I hear lorry drivers do. It's much more difficult in a modern car I think, what with all the electronic throttle control and stuff. I /sometimes/ do it for downshifting when cornering, esp. into first but it's more to get the revs closer than to try to match them perfectly. I still use the clutch when doing it.

I would like to hear more on this, speaking to Ian Curly, once up and running no clutch used and a repaired gearbox every race.
This in the end is hear say, ( and a failing distorted memory of an old fit ) I have a sneaking suspicion that clutch’s and dog box’s are used by amateur racers with low budget and endurance racers.
Those with big budgets probably ignore the clutch. These are days past now with extremely rapid electronic gear box’s.
Some one must have an idea that is more factual.
I only use paddles, never stick shift, I accept the lose of lap time, but have compared to the stick shifters a easy time.
I was going to say the left braking as well into the bargain so thank you for pointing that out Frank.

PS you get also get the advantage of better control by going from say 5th into neutral on the brakes then at the last moment into 2nd.

Best of luck with that,

Last edited:
It seems I am having a bit of an issue with Crew Chief today. Perhaps someone here can help? I recently had a corrupt hard drive and sent it out for recovery. This drive had my original install of CC. I am currently trying to reinstall the software but am receiving an "Invalid (letter of removed drive)" pop-up window and the installer is quitting. Do any of you know how to change the install/setup path? I have posted to the CC forums but am not sure how active it is and would like CC for this evening's race.

At the very least I have helicorsa installed so it's not the end of the world.

Senna heel and toeing in loafers :)
(and blipping the throttle in the corners, he was famous for this)

I personally use H-shifter in AC on cars using a manual gearbox, mostly for the immersion but also using paddles seem wrong. In cars with paddles in real life like the GT3s I use paddles.

For me heel and toeing is fun but hard work, you can shift from 5th down to 2nd but paddles are much easier plus you can left foot brake. I also miss-shift occasionally, find neutral instead of a gear, or first instead of third, luckily damage is set at 10% otherwise blown engine :D

I did try the MX5 with paddles, it was much less work to drive and I was quicker. But the auto blip didn't seem to work so I had to blip the throttle myself, so I thought might as well h-shift instead.
(but last night I drove the Audi S1 with paddles due to laziness, forgot to blip the throttle and kept locking up).

I used the G25 shifter up until recently, it's decent for the price. Now I have a Fanatec off Ebay, much better shift feel, more mechanical and I can definitely recommend it. (you can also use it in sequential mode).

And a question for Mazda drivers, have you ever used 6th gear in any of the races? I never have :(

Last edited:
It's less control. I haven't tried driving it with 'auto-blip / fuel cut-off' enabled, but we don't use that on the server anyway. Even up changes don't quite 'feel' the same. In braking zones I could downshift from say 5th to 3rd, or 2nd, and get back on throttle. The car felt very nimble and quick. Gear changes feel sluggish, and clunky with the paddleshifters - at least without the automatic features on. There's rev-hang for instance. Gearshifts were snappier with the h-box. I can try it, but again we don't use that on the server, and I wouldn't ask them to. The H-box is much better for cars that have a manual gearbox. Also my wheel is falling apart lol. I sometimes get a double-shift going up, and some other issues (throttle pot is a bit wonky.) She's getting old.
I don't know why I did not consider "jumping" gears i.e from 5th to 2nd. I do it on my bike irl and it makes so a smoother ride so why not in the sim? :geek:

Considering everyone's thoughts on the topic I've begun my research into a shifter and mount for the Challenge. My spouse saw the open tabs this morning and I was happy to hear "You're gonna start driving stick?! That's dope!" so I suppose it's now all a matter of practice. :D

I just made 15 laps before the fronts went into the red zone.
Give an online race a go. Set the tire wear and fuel consumption to x2 and run a 20min race. You'll be pushing but not running hot-laps like on the practice server. Maybe this will show a better example of tire life? I think those that race the Porsche in the GT3 events would love the Skoda. :roflmao:

And a question for Mazda drivers, have you ever used 6th gear in any of the races? I never have :(
You are not alone. I've never touched 6th gear. Maybe the long straight at Le Mans would be enough?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back