AC Multiclass Skoda Octavia/Mazda MX5@Spa, Wednesday 25th August 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
I drove the Skoda for a short time to get a feel for where it was fast/slow compared to the Mazda and "pig" was exactly my thoughts. I'm so used to the nimble Mazda now that a lot of other cars feel like that in comparison. :)
I feel like you can really bully the Mazda through the turns. The complex of Le Fagnes/Campus/Stavelot is a good example. However, you have to be cautious or the front tires will force a spin if you take too much advantage of the inside kurbs.

For those that participate with an H-shifter do you feel it gives you more control over us paddle-shifters? I’ve gotten into the habit of blipping the throttle on my downshifts even through I use paddles. I feel it makes a difference but it may only be a mental game I play with myself.

Last edited:
I did some practice on overtaking with Andre in the Mazda (thanks Andre!). The MX5 is as fast or even faster in all turns and has better traction on exit. And it can brake much later. So Skoda drivers should't and don't need to divebomb on a Mazda. They will not loose time in the corners staying behind a Mazda. So Kemmel straight and Courbe de Frere/Blanchimont are the parts where you can safely overtake a Mazda.

I did some practice on overtaking with Andre in the Mazda (thanks Andre!). The MX5 is as fast or even faster in all turns and has better traction on exit. And it can brake much later. So Skoda drivers should't and don't need to divebomb on a Mazda. They will not loose time in the corners staying behind a Mazda. So Kemmel straight and Courbe de Frere/Blanchimont are the parts where you can safely overtake a Mazda.
I agree, there is very little difference through the curves and as the Mazda is good on the brakes, it will be difficult for the Skoda to overtake. A good run through Eau Rouge will be key to a clean overtake. So all adding up to a very competitive event, should be lots of fun!:)

@HF2000 I'd like to sign up with the Skoda but strangly SGP doesn't show me the car. So clicking on "choose" doesn't work.

The screen also misses the "mod" button.

I have installed the mod correctly, because I've used it on the practice server. It seems like others signed up with the Skoda already, because they're named in the list, but I can't see their car choice either.

Do you have an idea to solve this?

Image2.jpg

@HF2000 I'd like to sign up with the Skoda but strangly SGP doesn't show me the car. So clicking on "choose" doesn't work.

I have installed the mod correctly, because I've used it on the practice server. It seems like others signed up with the Skoda already, because they're named in the list, but I can't see their car choice either.

View attachment 498224
Hi Reik,

It sounds like you aren't authorized. Did you enter the password correctly?

I'll see if I can add you manually as soon as I'm at my computer.

Last edited:
For those that participate with an H-shifter do you feel it gives you more control over us paddle-shifters? I’ve gotten into the habit of blipping the throttle on my downshifts even through I use paddles. I feel it makes a difference but it may only be a mental game I play with myself.
Haven't driven an MX-5 for a while but a couple of years ago when I drove it a lot I noticed that the H-shifter people were having a much easier time into hairpins and chicanes (with multiple downshifts). Since I use paddles, I was struggling in those places. The auto-blip feature of AC is not needed in very many cars, but in my experience the MX-5 is much better behaved with it turned on. Since I never manage to blip properly with paddles, I leave it on all the time now :)

I feel like you can really bully the Mazda through the turns. The complex of Le Fagnes/Campus/Stavelot is a good example. However, you have to be cautious or the front tires will force a spin if you take too much advantage of the inside kurbs.

Absolutely. Since my H-shifter broke I can't drive the Mazda. The paddle-shifters just do not work for it. Maybe if I had never used the H-shifter, but it's so much better. I prefer the Mazda, but can't use it anymore :(

View attachment 498224
Reik, I 've added you. Please try the practice server if you have the correct version of the Octavia!

I noticed that the H-shifter people were having a much easier time into hairpins and chicanes (with multiple downshifts). Since I use paddles, I was struggling in those places.
I've noticed this as well. Might be time I invested in a third-party mount for the Playseat Challenge and a shifter. As for the auto-blip I'll have to give it a try both enabled and disabled and see how it changes the dynamics of driving the MX5. If I make a mess of things at least it's still fun.

The paddle-shifters just do not work for it. Maybe if I had never used the H-shifter, but it's so much better.
How so? Is it just a personal preference i.e. does not using the H-shifter break the immersion for you or do you find the car truly undrivable since you have less control of the gear changes?

Hi Reik,

It sounds like you aren't authorized. Did you enter the password correctly?

I'll see if I can add you manually as soon as I'm at my computer.
I didn't reach the step when it would ask for the password. With the Mazda it did though.

However, your manual sign up seemed to have worked even if it still looks strange.

Image1.jpg

I was able to join the server right now and also yesterday, so I hope it works well. Thx for helping out mate! :thumbsup: ;)

I didn't reach the step when it would ask for the password. With the Mazda it did though.

However, your manual sign up seemed to have worked even if it still looks strange.

View attachment 498275

I was able to join the server right now and also yesterday, so I hope it works well. Thx for helping out mate! :thumbsup: ;)
Hmm, but the practice server isn't a S.GP server.

View attachment 498224
@Steve Worrell Got any ideas?

View attachment 498224
@Neilski Got any ideas?

Last edited:
Haven't driven an MX-5 for a while but a couple of years ago when I drove it a lot I noticed that the H-shifter people were having a much easier time into hairpins and chicanes (with multiple downshifts). Since I use paddles, I was struggling in those places. The auto-blip feature of AC is not needed in very many cars, but in my experience the MX-5 is much better behaved with it turned on. Since I never manage to blip properly with paddles, I leave it on all the time now :)

I'm driving on a T300 with the wheel paddles... I do have a shifter (G25 and LB adaptor) but haven't bothered plugging it in... so I've been "paddling" the MX5 from day one and in time I learned to shift down by ear. :D

Last edited:
I have never had any interest in trying paddles vs gear lever. But I am told on good authority that gear stick is quicker.
When I look at MoTeC data, there is a throttle cut, if memory serves me correctly of 3/10ths of a second every paddle shift change. ( sounds a lot, maybe I am wrong there, but a delay none the less )
Watching people changing very fast, I must assume it can be done without lifting, or just barely.
Also seeing Reik, I think, blow his gearbox up on the what ever car it was bares that out.
My view is the fastest way around a circuit, if you are committed or good enough is stick shift, how much faster I do not know, perhaps,?

Last edited:
3/10ths of a second every paddle shift change. ( sounds a lot, maybe I am wrong there, but a delay none the less )
hmmm, this is making a purchase compelling. It’s also an excuse to drive more. :thumbsup:

I must assume it can be done without lifting, or just barely.
Excuse my ignorance, but, is this what the heel-toe technique is for? I can only assume the faster shifting keeps revs higher thus allowing for more exit grip(?).
————
@HF2000 Just so keep it even I switched to the Skoda. Should be 8 of each car now. :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back