Logitech G29

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by AnDrEwY9087, Jul 1, 2018.

1. AnDrEwY9087

AnDrEwY9087

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello,
    I just got into racing simulators, and I bought a USED G29, the wheel is in good shape, but sometimes when i turn right the wheel is cracking ans making some noise (only when force feedback pass a certain amount).
    Do you know what the problem might be? and if I can repair it?
    Thanks in advance for your time !

• Like Like x 1
  2. Grape-Juice

Grape-Juice
    Premium

Ratings:
    +43
    It's geared force feedback so mine makes a lot of noise as it moves through the gears on the FFB (and I've only had it 3 months) maybe one of the pegs on the Cogs is broken

it's worth looking up a YT vid on taking it apart because there pretty easy to put back together just to see and you have no warranty anyway. But bear in mind mine does make a sort of cracking noise sometimes as well so it could just be the way the wheel works when it passes a certain limit on the gears on the motors.

. - video

Problem is getting to the motors and components of the FFB system is pretty hard.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RasmusP

RasmusP
    AC Stuff and G27 help Staff

Ratings:
    +1,336
    Well my G27 sometimes sounds like it would shred itself into pieces but still working totally fine and the same like it was new after 3 years :)

Yes, it's normal! Depending on the game and the FFB strength it can be really bad or not. rFactor 2 FFB without some smoothing in the settings and then going over kerbs sounds like it would just break apart!
    No harm done though!

• Like Like x 2
  4. AnDrEwY9087

AnDrEwY9087

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks guys, It`s true FFB is feeling the same, i was worried ony about the sound, becouse it`s not brand new, and i don`t want to broke it, i play asseto corsa, (using a lut table, and FFBcliper app) and it feels very good, except on low speed, when i have to turn the car after a crash, wheel is making sound like crazy.

5. RasmusP

RasmusP
    AC Stuff and G27 help Staff

Ratings:
    +1,336
    That's the "damping" effect. In real life a slow car is really heavy to steer!
    To get rid of that:
    \\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\system\cfg\assettocorsa.ini

find:
    [FF_EXPERIMENTAL]
    ENABLE_GYRO=0
    DAMPER_MIN_LEVEL=0
    DAMPER_GAIN=0

MIN_LEVEL and GAIN are probably not 0 for you. Put them to zero and your wheel will go completely light when standing still. Not very realistic but at least not making weird sounds :)

6. AnDrEwY9087

AnDrEwY9087

Ratings:
    +2
    ok, thanks

7. AnDrEwY9087

AnDrEwY9087

Ratings:
    +2
    i turned MIN_LEVEL and GAIN and it feelit worst, but playng with those values i found that if i set min value between 1% or 5% and gain to 50 %- 70 % it works very good

• Like Like x 1
  8. MotherDawg

MotherDawg

Ratings:
    +6
    FYI
    I bought my G29 used and right away it made noise here or there.
    I took it apart real fast, I did not want anything to "shred" itself.
    The two motor gears that run on the steering shaft ring gear are solidly held against that ring gear.
    No slack there.
    But at the end of the steering shaft there is another gear that makes a slider go right-left as we steer. Exactly like a Rack & Pinion. It's used as a hard stop to physically lock at 900 degrees.
    That rack is held against the pinion by a leaf spring.
    When the wheel goes "clockclockclock", It's the rack jumping, flapping up and down.
    The cogs are deeper than the loose play, I don't see it "shredding" as the rack has nothing to do except stop the wheel at the limit.Tough explaining this... it's kind of a slave that follows the pinion around. Zero force.
    My best guess is since the rack is not part of the gear assembly, production wise, dropping the assembly on a spring prevents having to verify clearance... drop in - screw in - next!
    No adjustments to do.

Visible in this clip at 12:10

And in this on at 39:25

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Matthew Wilkinson

Matthew Wilkinson

Ratings:
    +1
    This is Logitech wheels, they are all the same internally and while robust(usually) they are no where near as good to use as any of the Thrustmaster offerings, even the T150 has far superior FFB to the G25,27,29,920,dfgt,df pro. I used to use Logitech myself until I saw the light or a T500 for only a hundred Pounds.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.