PC1 Is Project Cars realistic?

So go on, lets have a proper talk about the physics then.

I can't talk about open wheelers, because I'm not really a fan and have zero RL experience with them.
But there are other cars common to Pcars and other Sims where we can make comparisons.

Karts.
Ok, I thought these were horrible in Pcars, way too twitchy and easy to spin (though that should be a good thing given simcore-logic), I could probably have redone my controls sensitivity but I got it for the tintops so didn't bother.
RF2 karts I think are pretty terrible too, the tire model in rf2 is "odd", good and clever, but "odd", the slip to grip isn't right, corrections that should work don't.
That leaves GSCE which easily wins this round, great karts, love them. Not as advanced perhaps as other titles, but believable in a consistent way.

ClioCup.
This one interests me lots, as a tintop fan I really enjoy the close racing with these little beauts.
RF2 - the Clios are one of the highlights for me, suffer a little with that slip to grip oddness, but believable and very nicely done.
Pcars - honestly, if these were the only cars in the game I'd still be happy, with the laser scanned english tracks I'm a happy Poet. And these are amongst the most believable cars in any sim imo (if you disagree then go ahead and give me technical reasons), look great, sound unbelievably good (and I've seen the Clios at a few tracks IRL this year and the sound is nailed) and handle well with believable levels of grip and slip and a more coherent slip to grip that makes more sense.

Road Cars.
AC wins. It's their strength and obviously where they're most comfortable as a team.
Not a fan of most of the road cars in Pcars or RF2, GSCE doesn't have any, so happy to give that round to AC.

LMP.
Win PCars. stiff suspension check, more power than the tires can handle check, the only other sim that has a comparable modern LMP is GSCE with the Metamoro, which while fun feels like an unfinished experiment and needs more work to feel as technical and advanced as an LMP should (I assume, again given my zero RL LMP experience).
Interestingly both AC and PCars have an older LMP with the Merc they both share.
I actually find both titles pretty close in terms of how it handles. Again, no idea if it's realistic or not, but the fact that 2 teams with very different approaches have cars that feel very similar probably speaks to them both getting close.

Lotus 49.
Again, I find the PCars and AC version very close in terms of handling and grip.
The closest RF2 has is probably the Brabham, which seems to have far less mechanical grip than the other 2. But again, no-one here has any 1960s F1 experience, so it's impossible to tell who has it right.

So yeah, PCars has it's weaknesses, but there are cars and areas where it holds up admirably well to other sim titles.
:)

IRacing is pretty much zero content and nothing but DLC
R3E is the same.
Rf2 wants you to pay yearly just to be able to play online
AC has DLC and more planned.
GSCE just asked the community to raise thousands to add more content and features.

Heck, the boards of most of those games are full of gamers begging the devs to give them a reason to throw more money at them for more content.

But they are all proper race sims, so it's warranted. ;):whistling::whistling:

• Deleted member 113561

The development process was fun trying out new updates almost every week day and hoping the next update would bring good FFB and physics but those never came. The only thing that made it acceptable and, at times, pretty good for some cars was Jack Spades ffb tweaks. Pcars is still taking up space on my hard drive and I only run it after an update just to see if it gets somewhat decent but it gets closed quickly out of disgust because it could have been more than just pretty with mediocre physics and crap ffb with 37 sliders.
FFB is very subjectiv. But i have to say that the release FFB had missing effects, thats why they implemented in Patch 2.0 an additional FFB Preset. I agree that Jack Spades FFB tweaks are really great. I still use them.
I heard that there will be a lot more FFB Presets in PCARS 2 and that theyre working close with Jack Spades.
About the "mediocre physics": On what basis do you judge that? Another just statement without any facts?

Notice how calm and rational David Cordells post sounded....now compare that to the simcade brigade and their troll this troll that accusations.
People accuse me of saying the same thing, and that’s awesome as you should be aware that i repeatedly said that if pcars wasn't going to be a sim, at least make it operate properly with wheels, and damn, we got one of the worst offenders for wheel owners.

At the end of the day, neuers silly argument revolves around accepting that race drivers have used pcars, race drivers know best, therefore pcars must be a sim, but is he aware that nearly every game/sim has race drivers using and promoting it?....does this mean that supa arcade-ish Dirt3 is a sim because tiff nedall ( sp) said it was?

Rl race drivers need to adapt to proper simulations, and when they do, they speak very highly of them, for example, rubens barrachello wrt race07 and SCE.
Give it up boy, you lost the discussion.
Notice how calm and rational David Cordells post sounded....now compare that to the simcade brigade and their troll this troll that accusations.
Again: You brought no facts at all, and you are not capable of judging if a game is more realistic than another (as bespoken in this case). Obviously you cant be calm and rational. Accusing everyone that like Project CARS or questions if you are rational / objectiv is a fanboy or a troll. Youre the troll here. Btw just to add something very interesting about you:
My biggest problem with pcars is that I was{rightly or wrongly} under the assumption it was going to be more sim than arcade, however, I certainly don't get that impression atm, so if they were to announce it was more of a arcade or even use the word simcade racer, then I for one could ignore it, as I no longer plan to buy non sims with the possible exception of Dirt4...

At the end of the day, neuers silly argument revolves around accepting that race drivers have used pcars, race drivers know best, therefore pcars must be a sim, but is he aware that nearly every game/sim has race drivers using and promoting it?
Maybe you should start reading my posts ... i quote myself now:
...And about the drivers telling how good it is on the iRacing website... its the same as Ben Collins is talking about how good PCARS is on the Website. Its marketing.
Yeah sure ... thousand of players keep saying how great the game is ... reminds me of Apple fanboys *cough* *cough* you will find the same for every popular sim (rfactor, ac, pcars, r3e, etc.)

Proper simulations oh you mean the ones the F1 teams use that have accurate physics that require much more computational power then a crappy gaming pc can output like 5 or 10 server pcs daisy chained to split the load of calculating the algorithms just for the physics data. So what chance does race07 have at replicating real life physics.... 10% thats my guess because if it takes 5-10 server pc's to get 98% accuracy in terms of physics a normal pc has no bloody chance no matter how much they delude you with this is the most realistic sim ever. So go f**k off and enjoy your unrealistic simulators which all racing sims including pcars are and get off your high horse about racing sims being realistic.
You know that some F1-simulator are/were based on rfactor 1?
In terms of realism: Its about the closest one to realism. Cause really realistic is a different case (missing heat, G-forces, fear etc.).

Btw here a poll at release - 50% think its a proper Sim:

8axcgrknj6848djzg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
pcars is a simple simon physics model that has unrealistic data, silly and or simple braking requirements, minimal weight transfer, probably very little aero modelling as well.
We can all dig up many video's of the absurd driving behaviour of pcars, yet some people continue to live in a fantasy world, so here's the mail.....

In probably all multiplatform racing games, the sim slogan is a marketing tag, nothing more, especially as it's very time consuming to build proper physics, and that most people CAN'T DRIVE FOR CRAP....and we all know it's true and it's not a big deal actually, but without the ability to go fast in sims, you don't actually prove you've understood the complexities of dealing with a more realistic sim car.

Not surprisingly, the 2 most challenging aspects of driving, weight transfer and braking are the first to be dumbed down, and pcars sucked hard on these features.

I don't care if you buy and like pcars, I only care that people become aware of the existence and quality of the pc sims{despite their age} and realise that they must learn to apply some racing technique, unlike silly pcars where you can just slam on the brakes and smash it round corners.

Proper simulations oh you mean the ones the F1 teams use that have accurate physics that require much more computational power then a crappy gaming pc can output like 5 or 10 server pcs daisy chained to split the load of calculating the algorithms just for the physics data. So what chance does race07 have at replicating real life physics.... 10% thats my guess because if it takes 5-10 server pc's to get 98% accuracy in terms of physics a normal pc has no bloody chance no matter how much they delude you with this is the most realistic sim ever. So go f**k off and enjoy your unrealistic simulators which all racing sims including pcars are and get off your high horse about racing sims being realistic.

All stupid talk....we don't need the sim to be a 100% representation of reality, we just need the finer details coded for us and we can accept that a well balanced attempt was made to produce something reasonable given the various limitations such as cost, the extreme's of dragging out the full detail{not possible btw, too many variables} and our controllers.

• Deleted member 113561

pcars is a simple simon physics model that has unrealistic data, silly and or simple braking requirements, minimal weight transfer, probably very little aero modelling as well.
We can all dig up many video's of the absurd driving behaviour of pcars, yet some people continue to live in a fantasy world, so here's the mail.....

In probably all multiplatform racing games, the sim slogan is a marketing tag, nothing more, especially as it's very time consuming to build proper physics, and that most people CAN'T DRIVE FOR CRAP....and we all know it's true and it's not a big deal actually, but without the ability to go fast in sims, you don't actually prove you've understood the complexities of dealing with a more realistic sim car.

Not surprisingly, the 2 most challenging aspects of driving, weight transfer and braking are the first to be dumbed down, and pcars sucked hard on these features.

I don't care if you buy and like pcars, I only care that people become aware of the existence and quality of the pc sims{despite their age} and realise that they must learn to apply some racing technique, unlike silly pcars where you can just slam on the brakes and smash it round corners.

Any facts / proofs for that? Common posts those videos - and plz only actual Patch 5.0 Videos... not some old beta builds.

PCARS is the first multiplatform Simracing game! As previously said. PCARS was / is developed on PC and then ported to Consoles. NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. Obviously you cant think logically (youre obv. trolling).

Based on what? Your troll opinion? Your hate for this game? Cause you dont like it? - Still brought no facts and still youre bashing & trolling.

You cant do that in PCARS! Not if youre using a racing setup. Plz bring facts, not just some silly accusations. I saw NO FACTS in this thread by you sofar.

All stupid talk....we don't need the sim to be a 100% representation of reality, we just need the finer details coded for us and we can accept that a well balanced attempt was made to produce something reasonable given the various limitations such as cost, the extreme's of dragging out the full detail{not possible btw, too many variables} and our controllers.
Thats exactly 100% wrong! A simulations !aims! to be a 100% representation of reality. You might need to look up the definition of simulation, cause obvioulsy need to update yours. So whatever you say here is 100% WRONG.

neuer, straight up, stop dancing on the end of this splash's string.

He's probably never ever played it, is doing nothing for the community, is offering nothing technical to back up any of his nonsense and is now only posting to wind you up.
Just stick him on ignore, enough now. ok?

neuer, straight up, stop dancing on the end of this splash's string.

He's probably never ever played it, is doing nothing for the community, is offering nothing technical to back up any of his nonsense and is now only posting to wind you up.
Just stick him on ignore, enough now. ok?
Very true poet.Old David will never change his tune,he has his opinion and no amount of back and forth will change it.Anything that simulates Motorsport is a sim,it has tyre degredation fuel use,damage,setups and race weekends with dynamic weather.That is a simulation of motorsport and puts Pcars in the sim bracket.Now if we want to talk about physics,then that's an entirely different argument.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but your attitude is one of the worst I have ever seen. Not only do you have the "I am right, you are wrong" attitude, but you keep insulting people that have a different opinion than you, saying that they live in "a fantasy world" or that "they know nothing about racing" for example. Bad attitude, real bad.

I still think that PC is the most realistic sim ever, it's very nice to drive. Because I like it so much it won't be bad, I've been driven almost all sims so it's very easy to say that. Realistic - YES!!! PC is like a real car!!!

Please somebody tell me what is realistic in Project Cars.
I tried it recently, cos I really wanted to give it a chance.
(I drive only in Assetto Corsa, usually. And I come from rFactor and GTR2)
To me, it felt like the most "arcadish" game I played since a decade.
I liked the rain effect though.

Please somebody tell me what is realistic in Project Cars.
I tried it recently, cos I really wanted to give it a chance.
(I drive only in Assetto Corsa, usually. And I come from rFactor and GTR2)
To me, it felt like the most "arcadish" game I played since a decade.
I liked the rain effect though.

Lol, ofc...that's how most sim players view it, it's only the casual gamers who hate criticism because of their graphics whoring.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but your attitude is one of the worst I have ever seen. Not only do you have the "I am right, you are wrong" attitude, but you keep insulting people that have a different opinion than you, saying that they live in "a fantasy world" or that "they know nothing about racing" for example. Bad attitude, real bad.
I've given some of my background, including having the opportunity to quiz a professional modder, yet my views fall on deaf ears as physics is a low priority for some, and that’s okay, but hell, don't try and tell me real sims are just as simcade as pcars, lol.

• Deleted member 113561

I've given some of my background, including having the opportunity to quiz a professional modder, yet my views fall on deaf ears as physics is a low priority for some, and that’s okay, but hell, don't try and tell me real sims are just as simcade as pcars, lol.
In your fantasy you did that, while being on the toilet. Professional Modder = Your imaginative friend!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back