PC1 Is Project Cars realistic?

yes please do let me know, I know what you mean, believe me I started tons of thread on the official pcars forum, before i got hate mails/ pm's there by fanboys, I think with me just having moved to PC platform and not knowing what is out there and what AI is capable of, have maybe jumped the gun. i played a lot of PC (good old microprose days) but then deployed/ overseas for over 10 years, so i got into consoles (either to take everywhere) so got used to that and not many racing sims/ racing games on consoles. at least proper ones, until pcars on consoles. all ears, let me know since i am getting into all the PC games now, new and old.

biggest problem i still have with pcars, again coming from consoles, is their FFB per vehicle and being able to adjust global FFB to how personally you feel is good and how a car feels...i just don't get it how that works and how that is realistic or fantastic...i spent hundreds of hours on FFB but never got the BMW Z4 GT3 to feel and drive like in real life....?!??!?! not sure how people do it...i gave up on pcars FFB system! (absolutely ZERO from SMS studio, in regards to help or handbook on FFB system)
Try Game Stock Car Extreme mate.Totaly awesome experience, massive bang for your buck,great physics and a fantastic bunch of guy's behind it.:thumbsup:

Of course it is subjective, but:
Game Stock Car, R3E, rF2 and this one would be hard to swallow but I was always surprised by GTR Evo .. :)
I had one of best the AI races in pCars but in general, the AI is just bad, inconsistent across sessions, tracks, cars, not really aware of you, slow, brake checking in nonsense corners, just being dick, behaving like drunk kids in MP, inpredictable, cheating, ..
And before you start to think that I`m just not threating them right, giving them space, etc .. nope, the only reason I can still enjoy pC is that I kind of learned to stay away from them, to take different lines cause I know if I stay in mine, I would be crushed by blind AI and mostly basically by hotlapping ahead of them ..

But all AIs has their good and bad sides.. to be hones ...
Totally agree with this.I was enjoying Pcars,but the AI eventually put me off.I've not touched it in awhile. They need to incorporate an aggression slider, if they do that I'll be back on it.GSCE AI is pretty solid, they give you room and don't completely wipe you out every chance they get.

• Deleted member 113561

The thread asked is pcars realistic, I've given my opinion, i don't really care if you disagree, but as usual, you want to cast those who disagree with YOU as unworthy of listening to.

As I've said before and over the years, I've bought most pc sims since 2005, and freely admit some of them have problems, and fyi, I've given rf2 the ass as it doesn't work properly with my g27.

I've also owned and driven scores of Australian muscle cars, some with 400hp, I've also watched various motorsport for over 20yrs.....on top of that i know a modder whose PAID to build private vehicles for racing teams (I've also sampled 2 of his cars), and my opinion is that the physics/ffb combo of pcars is problematic and that i have extreme doubts about the physics overall, especially as i know how time consuming building proper sims is

Everything I've said speaks to the thread title, no game bashing has occurred unless YOU want to preemptively exclude discussion of the core aspects that distinguish a real sim from the new breed of simcade games.
What has this to do with the thread? But here the point why what you say disqualifies yourself from this discussion.

"I've also owned and driven scores of Australian muscle cars, some with 400hp, I've also watched various motorsport for over 20yrs.....on top of that i know a modder whose PAID to build private vehicles for racing teams (I've also sampled 2 of his cars), and my opinion is that the physics/ffb combo of pcars is problematic and that i have extreme doubts about the physics overall, especially as i know how time consuming building proper sims is"
That doesnt qualify you to say if a game is more realistic than another, racing cars are completely different, they have different grip etc. You obv never driven a real racing car under racing conditions (nor has your friends) - your opinion has NO higher value than others!

With other words: Again youre bullshitting, and try to sell your opinion as it would be based on facts! Obviously youre a narcist! And youre clearly bashing this game - you repeatedly talked very negative about this game without any facts. AGAIN: You cant judge if this game is realistic or not, you just dont have the knowledge to properly judge that!
People like Rene Rast, Ben Collins, Nic Hamilton ... (etc) have the knowledge & experience to judge the said.

People do seem to get there knickers in a twist about this game.I think the real sim question is one with no answer. But it was fun watching all the mud flying again lol:thumbsup:
Im convinced it can be answered, but i doubt some independent judges and analyzers would do it for free.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neuer.

Considering you're so sure of what is or isn't knowable, what are your credentials when it comes to sim racing, rl car ownership etc.
Btw, when i said i owned and or drove various aussie muscle cars, these cars were heavily modified, from the entire drive train/suspension and tyres, so they weren't that far off Bathurst spec other than extra weight.

You also don't believe or comprehend the notion of modders being paid to build custom race cars in that theres interactions between the modder and drivers until a quality product is produced. ....and as I've said, I've driven some of these private cars and they’re very impressive.

Remember you're the one blurting out that they're all the same whilst not sharing how you know this.
Another thing, many games use race drivers to promote, but it doesn't make a simcade game a sim.

• Deleted member 113561

Neuer.

Considering you're so sure of what is or isn't knowable, what are your credentials when it comes to sim racing, rl car ownership etc.
Btw, when i said i owned and or drove various aussie muscle cars, these cars were heavily modified, from the entire drive train/suspension and tyres, so they weren't that far off Bathurst spec other than extra weight.

You also don't believe or comprehend the notion of modders being paid to build custom race cars in that theres interactions between the modder and drivers until a quality product is produced. ....and as I've said, I've driven some of these private cars and they’re very impressive.

Remember you're the one blurting out that they're all the same whilst not sharing how you know this.
Another thing, many games use race drivers to promote, but it doesn't make a simcade game a sim.
Still it doesnt qualify you! You have never driven race cars under racing conditions with racing setups. Nor do we know if you have proper / realistic FFB-Setup. Go drive in a championship in real life and then you are qualified to say if car ZYX in Game XYZ is a simulation or not.

Where did I say something like this?

Still it doesnt qualify you! You have never driven race cars under racing conditions with racing setups. Nor do we know if you have proper / realistic FFB-Setup. Go drive in a championship in real life and then you are qualified to say if car ZYX in Game XYZ is a simulation or not.

Where did I say something like this?

Spot on

I think it's obvious now you know next to nothing about real life cars and racing and have been hypnotized by pcars graphics and blurt out sheer nonsense in a bid to defend it from ALL criticism.....that said, I'm mainly promoting the existence of sims as opposed to bashing pcars, trust me, i could do a lot worse.

Nor does it make a sim a simcade! lol
As soon as you've understood what you've said, let us know, lol.

Isn't when driving a car G-forces are a big part of it, you feel them, you feel the state of the car at different revs, you could drive around a sharp corner without the need to look at your speedo simply by feeling the G-forces. No game has this feel to it, therefore no game will be close to the real thing IMHO.

But as a game PC and others are really really enjoyable and to me that's all that matters.

• Deleted member 113561

I think it's obvious now you know next to nothing about real life cars and racing and have been hypnotized by pcars graphics and blurt out sheer nonsense in a bid to defend it from ALL criticism.....that said, I'm mainly promoting the existence of sims as opposed to bashing pcars, trust me, i could do a lot worse.
Youre a blatant troll and basher. You spread lies about Project CARS and just say things that are fundamentally wrong. I mean look at the thread, many people disagree with you.
Look what youre saying:
"hypnotized by pcars graphics" <<< thats so much bs
"...and blurt out sheer nonsense in a bid to defend it from ALL criticism" In multiple post i stated that PCARS has flaws. But obviously you just didnt read it and now just tell lies about me (aka he is a fanboy). Youre pathetic.

I have friends with real life experience in racing (ie Formula 4) and they can judge if its realistic or not. You cant, you just dont have the experience. No matter if you drove in your freetime some muscle cars. I participated in Go-Kart races, so im now qualified to judge about LMP1s?....

Seriously, go to a psychiatrist. You really need it!

p.s. sry for the bold writing but i use it for better readability (otherwise you barely see the quotings inside the text)

• Deleted member 113561

Again, HOW WOULD YOU KNOW?
Cause you claim Project CARS is a simcade, and you try to convince everyone thats its true at any costs (lies) - your posts do not state ANY facts ... conclusion: Youre a troll and a basher ...

Just bloody ignore him.All your doing is enabling him.I'm assuming it's one trick Dave.He's on my ignore list,so he's just a ghost.It's funny how after all these months, he sound's like he's still playing the same old song.And still getting a rise out of people.

Just bloody ignore him.All your doing is enabling him.I'm assuming it's one trick Dave.He's on my ignore list,so he's just a ghost.It's funny how after all these months, he sound's like he's still playing the same old song.And still getting a rise out of people.

Well to be honest it Neuer31 that's calling him names and calling David a liar, so if anything Neuer31 is trying to get a rise or some response. It always seems that when someone is losing an argument or discussion they resort to name calling and abuse.
Anyway Davids opinion is just that, his opinion and he is entitled to share it. If people don't like it they should say so without being abusive.

Hehe, another defender of the universe comes to the party!

I guess here is a man quite happy to keep shelling out a fiver a month for DLC and making your game cost 60 quid now rather than the original 39, that sort of takes care of your "profit" doesn't it?

Anyway on to facts, I can say I have driven a couple of race cars, well track day cars, not that far removed and there are no comparisons.

You can use a simulator for learning the track and the layout, but you can never really relate that directly to a circuit in terems of being able to drive flat out. Playing RF, Gran Turismo and a few others enabled me to learn the Nordschliefe, but it didn't mean I was banging in 8 minute laps off the bat coz it's not a racetracks, its a toll to all intents and purposes. If I could damage the car and had it to myself I probably could though.

The most accurate sim in terms of physics is Iracing, I don't think there would be any argument with that. The tracks are laser whateverd, the physics are fairly realistic and the game is endorsed and played by professionals and people NOT on their payoll as well as those that are.

Everything else is a step below. In my opinion Rfactor is close, the engine is used by most sim companies for leisure simming and for professional simming. The perhaps in time AC and RF2 might get close. The game you buy is old now andnot very good, but still a great platform.

PCARS is a GAME, it is not a sim per se. It is largely designed for console users who play with pads so inevitably is a little woolly like Gran Turismo in terms of FFB and wheel stuff, If you don't think that has any effect then you are utterly naieve I'm sorry. It lke saying players who play FPS's with pads are equal, when that isplainly untrue. There might be one or two that can compete but most cant

PCARS looks pretty , hooked hundreds of people in very, very cleverly and is continuing to do so in a very Destiny way!

• Deleted member 113561

Lol, you got nothing champ, nuthin but hot air.....but carry on, I'm sure your claims are very convincing.
Youre trying desperatly to turn around this discussion / battle ... but you already lost it.

I could proof: That you have no experience at all to have the ability to judge if a game is Sim or not.

Well to be honest it Neuer31 that's calling him names and calling David a liar, so if anything Neuer31 is trying to get a rise or some response. It always seems that when someone is losing an argument or discussion they resort to name calling and abuse.
Anyway Davids opinion is just that, his opinion and he is entitled to share it. If people don't like it they should say so without being abusive.

Im not trying to get a response ... im fighting the troll / basher. He sells his opinion as facts and further he spreads it like this. Thats absolutely not okay. Its like im spreading around that David has 3 permabans in 3 seperate forums (its still my opinion but i have no facts to proof that ; in the end those could be just lies - who knows).

Hehe, another defender of the universe comes to the party!

I guess here is a man quite happy to keep shelling out a fiver a month for DLC and making your game cost 60 quid now rather than the original 39, that sort of takes care of your "profit" doesn't it?

Anyway on to facts, I can say I have driven a couple of race cars, well track day cars, not that far removed and there are no comparisons.

You can use a simulator for learning the track and the layout, but you can never really relate that directly to a circuit in terems of being able to drive flat out. Playing RF, Gran Turismo and a few others enabled me to learn the Nordschliefe, but it didn't mean I was banging in 8 minute laps off the bat coz it's not a racetracks, its a toll to all intents and purposes. If I could damage the car and had it to myself I probably could though.

The most accurate sim in terms of physics is Iracing, I don't think there would be any argument with that. The tracks are laser whateverd, the physics are fairly realistic and the game is endorsed and played by professionals and people NOT on their payoll as well as those that are.

Everything else is a step below. In my opinion Rfactor is close, the engine is used by most sim companies for leisure simming and for professional simming. The perhaps in time AC and RF2 might get close. The game you buy is old now andnot very good, but still a great platform.

PCARS is a GAME, it is not a sim per se. It is largely designed for console users who play with pads so inevitably is a little woolly like Gran Turismo in terms of FFB and wheel stuff, If you don't think that has any effect then you are utterly naieve I'm sorry. It lke saying players who play FPS's with pads are equal, when that isplainly untrue. There might be one or two that can compete but most cant

PCARS looks pretty , hooked hundreds of people in very, very cleverly and is continuing to do so in a very Destiny way!

1st: The initial Alpha was avaible as Full Member for 45€ ... at that time it was around (i think im not sure of that) 50 - 60$ --- actually its avaible for 50€, which imo is due to adding costs of the publisher, which i think is ... nahhh ...
About the DLCs ... lets compare the DLCs from PCARS with others:
5.49€ for 1 Track & 3 Cars in Project CARS
5.49€ for 1 Huge Track & 3 Cars in Project CARS
3.49€ for 5 Cars in Project CARS
14.99€ for 1 Huge Track (lets consider this 2 Tracks) & 10 cars in Assetto Corsa (Dreampack 1)
7.99€ for 1 Track and 8 cars in Assetto Corsa (Dreampack 2)
10€+ per Car or Track in iRacing
25.99€ 9 Tracks & 3 cars (DTM 2014 championship) in Raceroom Experience
22.99€ 8 Tracks & 6 cars (ADAC GT Master 2014) in Raceroom Experience
rfactor is outta the equation as they have no DLCs ...

I would say that by far, iRacing is the most expensive
I would say that Project CARS, Assetto Corsa and Raceroom Experience are rel. cheap (considering aswell that R3E DLC is a complete championship and that AC DLC Tracks are laserscanned) and all on same price level

Note:
I didn't count R3E old 2013 DLCs as theyre all reduced from initial price
I also didnt count Project CARS free cars as they were promised to be rewards for the patience of the customers cause of the 3 release delays, nor did i count the free liveries.
I also didnt count duplicates in Assetto Corsa's Dreampack (ie. Ruf AWD & RWD, thats just a quick physic change and doesnt represent the endless hours of modelling the car)

2nd: The actual most accurate and enhanced simulation (in terms of technology!!!) is rfactor 2 at the moment. About realism will be always discussed (im not answering that), but i often heard that iRacing has too less grip. And about the drivers telling how good it is on the iRacing website... its the same as Ben Collins is talking about how good PCARS is on the Website. Its marketing.
Yeah sure ... thousand of players keep saying how great the game is ... reminds me of Apple fanboys *cough* *cough* you will find the same for every popular sim (rfactor, ac, pcars, r3e, etc.)
The point that you dont even know the word "laser scanning" shows that you have no idea. Laser scanning is good for accuracy in terms of track width etc. but you still have to model the track etc. That can lead to many inaccuracies in the end product aswell, so its not the holy grail.
I agree though its nearly always superior (but most time by not much), except when it comes to cost. Most say that R3E and Project CARS are comming very close without laser scanning.
Keep also in mind there are some laserscanned tracks in Project CARS aswell.

3rd: (imo) youre wrong about the effects of having PCARS on consoles. I can tell you what has changed because of the consoles sofar: Design of Menus & Improved controller use (in sense of the profile for the XBOX & PS Controller is better done than when it would have been PC-exclusive). The Game was ported from PC --> Consoles ... not the other way around. Also has the PC way better graphics and runs much better on the PC than on the PS4 & XBOX. For most Console --> PC ports its exaclty the other way around. I still think that some elements (ie. graphics) could have been pushed a little more when it would have been PC-exclusive. But not the Physics (i mean did you ever compare the performance of PCARS between i5 and i7 ... its a significant difference).
Per se is iRacing, rfactor 1 & 2, Assetto Corsa etc etc etc. also only games ...

P.s. About iRacing: I really like their Public League system, even it has flaws in the lower tiers. I would say iRacing is pretty well done and one of the best games / sims on the market atm (overall) ... though its way too expensive (the profit must be huge), a bit outdated, has no rain, and some weird collision physics, etc. As said about realism can be discussed

P.p.s This says it all about you: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/banned-for-no-reason.47384/

So we're reduced to bashing because of DLC?

IRacing is pretty much zero content and nothing but DLC
R3E is the same.
Rf2 wants you to pay yearly just to be able to play online
AC has DLC and more planned.
GSCE just asked the community to raise thousands to add more content and features.

Heck, the boards of most of those games are full of gamers begging the devs to give them a reason to throw more money at them for more content.

But yes, shame on PCars! Shame! Bad Pcars! DLC is evil when PCars does it, the others do it because they love the community so much. It's so obvious.

Irrationally hated Pcars before it even got 1 line of code written, will hate it for many years to come.
Has absolutely nothing to do with it's gorgeous graphics engine, great sounds, brilliant content, excellent features and slick packaging. Nothing at all. Nope, no envy here, move on, nothing to see.

:)

I was a wmd member since 2012 and recently got my investment + the whopping 10% back and put it into dlc for R3E, AC and contributed to further enhancements in GSCE which is way underrated and under priced. I have no problem at all with pretty little racing games like Pcars selling dlc. If people are willing to buy it, more power to SMS.

The development process was fun trying out new updates almost every week day and hoping the next update would bring good FFB and physics but those never came. The only thing that made it acceptable and, at times, pretty good for some cars was Jack Spades ffb tweaks. Pcars is still taking up space on my hard drive and I only run it after an update just to see if it gets somewhat decent but it gets closed quickly out of disgust because it could have been more than just pretty with mediocre physics and crap ffb with 37 sliders.

I can see how many people would really like it as it is like a sim with training wheels even with no aids turned on and is very pretty and shiny with nice weather effects and ok sounds. Pcars is a lot like a Hollywood action movie where I had to suspend disbelief to enjoy it. It was way too much disbelief for me to suspend.

Oh well, different strokes and all. Some prefer fiction where others prefer non-fiction.

Last edited:
Notice how calm and rational David Cordells post sounded....now compare that to the simcade brigade and their troll this troll that accusations.
People accuse me of saying the same thing, and that’s awesome as you should be aware that i repeatedly said that if pcars wasn't going to be a sim, at least make it operate properly with wheels, and damn, we got one of the worst offenders for wheel owners.

At the end of the day, neuers silly argument revolves around accepting that race drivers have used pcars, race drivers know best, therefore pcars must be a sim, but is he aware that nearly every game/sim has race drivers using and promoting it?....does this mean that supa arcade-ish Dirt3 is a sim because tiff nedall ( sp) said it was?

Rl race drivers need to adapt to proper simulations, and when they do, they speak very highly of them, for example, rubens barrachello wrt race07 and SCE.

Proper simulations oh you mean the ones the F1 teams use that have accurate physics that require much more computational power then a crappy gaming pc can output like 5 or 10 server pcs daisy chained to split the load of calculating the algorithms just for the physics data. So what chance does race07 have at replicating real life physics.... 10% thats my guess because if it takes 5-10 server pc's to get 98% accuracy in terms of physics a normal pc has no bloody chance no matter how much they delude you with this is the most realistic sim ever. So go f**k off and enjoy your unrealistic simulators which all racing sims including pcars are and get off your high horse about racing sims being realistic.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 70 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 139 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 379 39.6%