• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Cars [IER Simulations] Ferrari 458 GT3

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa Modding Discussions' started by mclarenf1papa, Aug 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. mclarenf1papa

mclarenf1papa

Ratings:
    +1,779
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We've only just announced the car officially on our Facebook page, but I've posted progress in the "What Are You Working On?" thread over the past week or so.

@Stereo suggested the idea that competitors for our Porsche GT America would be relatively feasible with the AC Patch's "model replacement" feature. The two options were the Z4 GTD or the 458 GTD. Having worked on a 458 Challenge in the past, I ultimately decided that the GT3/GTD variant would be a good project to do my first bit of scratch 3D modeling. The BMW would have been the simpler task as far as graphics were concerned, but I had no data.

[​IMG]
    Physics: Jackson
    Sounds: TBD
    Liveries: TBD
    ___________________________​

Note: We would like to have more technical data for the car prior to its release. It will utilize the patch's extended physics features and thus would benefit more from more extensive data. Aeromaps, suspension kinematics curves, and bumpstop graphs would best benefit the project at the moment, but any data would be of use. If you can assist or know someone who might, please send a message. If it serves to quell worries about data leakage, sensitive data can be encrypted with the patch using a secure AES encryption algorithm. We've already reached out to most of our industry contacts, but any assistance would be appreciated.

I went back and forth over making this an IER release, but I've surprised myself with my improvement in 3D modeling, so it mostly meets our quality standards. Release date is very much up in the air - visuals won't take much longer, but I'd like to have the car be more physically accurate before its release.

A bit more about "model replacement"​
    Using the Kunos 458 GT2 as a base, most of the exterior bodywork and appendages will be (and have already been) swapped with scratch made pieces built to resemble the car's GT3 specification. This allows us to produce a car that's 70% of its real counterpart in far less time while still only including scratch-made content in the download. It works by cutting objects from the rendering tree of the original model and putting new ones in their place. @Stereo has recently released a wheel rim package using the feature.

I'll note that the proximity to RSS's GT3 announcement is entirely coincidental and that the car was started before the announcement was made.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    • Love Love x 14
    • Like Like x 7
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Leonardo Ratafiá

Leonardo Ratafiá
    Premium

Ratings:
    +945
    so performance wise would be similar to the 911 GTA/GTD? it would be a great partner to the 911 indeed

3. erba72

erba72

Ratings:
    +92
    Wow ! you guys rock ! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Really looking forward to your insanely good job !

4. mclarenf1papa

mclarenf1papa

Ratings:
    +1,779
    Will release two variants. One will be the GT3 specification of the car (as pictured so far) and one will be a GTD-like specification (rear wing supports will likely stay the same as the GT3 car but it'll otherwise be GTD spec). 911 will probably receive an update whenever this gets released to ensure parity between them.

• Love Love x 9
  5. Shap

Shap

Ratings:
    +110
    Will this be a paid mod?

6. AlleyViper

AlleyViper

Ratings:
    +390
    From FB:

• Like Like x 2
    • Beer Beer x 1
  7. bastoner97

bastoner97

Ratings:
    +929
    My favorite GT car ever! I’m so happy that a team like yours has taken the “burden” to do such a car! Can’t wait for it

8. Hoksu

Hoksu

Ratings:
    +614
    What happened to that?

9. Dave_6

Dave_6
    Premium

Ratings:
    +278
    I think he actually worked on a real one.

10. Ryno917

Ryno917

Ratings:
    +598
    Good stuff! I'm excited for this one even if only to make the beautiful Momo livery car from ca. 2016 I think it was?:

11280461_496484263838227_2114530909_n.jpg

Still think that specific livery+car combo is one of the prettiest of the modern era.

On that note; any chance we'll be able to paint the rear window?

As far as data goes, I don't have any first hand experience but I've heard the team that ran them in the PWC is fairly approachable; they're a Canadian outfit out of Toronto. The name escapes me right now, unfortunately.

• Love Love x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  11. AlleyViper

AlleyViper

Ratings:
    +390
    Btw, no chance to cover the gt2 side naca duct, even if it could result in reflection continuity problems at that spot?

12. mclarenf1papa

mclarenf1papa

Ratings:
    +1,779
    Glass likely won’t be paintable, NACA will definitely remain (would look worse covered).

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.