How to disable camera shaking in AMS2?

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Has anybody figured out how to properly disable cockpit view camera shaking? I know it's realistic but I like my camera view rock solid and steady :) Have played with values but as there is not "back to default" button I am a bit lost.

End goal: have a solid cockpit view without excessive bouncing, shaking and leaning :)

What value is that with? I believe the title is correct, WM=100% means 'world moves (World moves 100%), and car stays static'.
20200705_041207 (FILEminimizer).jpg
20200705_041220 (FILEminimizer).jpg
20200705_041231 (FILEminimizer).jpg
20200705_041256 (FILEminimizer).jpg
20200705_041333 (FILEminimizer).jpg
20200705_041342 (FILEminimizer).jpg

It really needs separate settings for world and car so that you can adjust them to your liking. At the moment it all seems like a compromise - to get one were you want it, you have to accept an unwanted change to the other. I don’t remember noticing this problem in other sims.

this is the one thing that stops me from enjoying AMS2... i just can’t drive without getting dizzy:sick:

It's weird... I drive in VR and at 50% it feels perfect. I reduced world movement once and wanted to throw up when I hit one of those angled high speed corners (I think Indianapolis Speedway) because the car was at like 45 degrees sideways but my head was locked to earth.
I love all the chassis shaking and bouncing. Makes it feel more immersive. ‍♂️

• Deleted member 197115

Can you please explain what that "shaking" supposed to simulate, as things look smooth from driver's perspective when eyes movement compensate for all bumps and vibration.

Just look at RHM description and video.

Unfortunately if the sim is working properly you're going to get judder. Either the car will move in the visual field, or the world around it, but you can't get rid of both without detaching the car from the road.

I thought AMS2 was a bit extreme with bumpiness until I studied a bunch of real footage of the cars simulated. The stock cars judder and bounce all over the place, and that's pretty much the case for most of the cars at the limit except for some of the more tame road style cars with soft suspension.

Lots of complaints about the F1 cars above, so here's an example that shows that they also judder and bounce quite a bit...

• Deleted member 197115

Don't get confused by the the static camera footage, it is nothing what you experience through the eyes.
Just try to focus at something on monitor and shake you head, up and down, side to side. Do you see your view jumping around with your head?
And a more scientific explanation.
Biological facts
The feel of equilibrium, acceleration, gravity, and so bumps are not feel by the eye but with the inner hear. Which is made of liquid and crystals in circular tunnels.

When the inner hear feels bumps and head motion, it instinctively moves your eyes to soften/filter/remove those bumps.

2 experiences to demonstrate that.
1) when put somebody on a chair, in complete dark, you film his eyes with an infrared cameras, you turn the chair, is eyes will roll too, even if he see nothing

2) this one you can do it yourself, looks at in front of you, at your screen, now shake your head, the vision will not move.

When there is conflicting information from inner hear and eye, you feel strange, it's difficult to focus on the road, and you can have nausea.

What happens in a car
When you are driving, you are looking the road, and all the bumps are filter/corrected by your inner hear, so the viewing of the track is smooth and it's the car cockpit that moving around you.

What happens in a Sim
Because you are sitting and a standing chair/seat, you head is not moving at all, so the inner ear is not working, the eye don't correct the bumps.
That's make 2 issues :
1) you can't focus on the road, the road is shaking and not smooth, it's difficult to drive
2) you can get nausea because you have conflicting information from eyes and inner hear.

How it should be in a Sim
The camera should stayed focus on the track and not locked to car cockpit,that's what my App is doing by filtering bumps and slopes.

I have to agree with Andrew. This issue isn't about how much the actual car moves or vibrates in real life, because we aren't static cameras fixed to a solid piece of bodywork. Our eyes and brain adjust to compensate for the movement of our bodies and the environment around us.

Personally, I don't really have an issue with the amount of camera movement in AMS 2. However, the fact that people are complaining about it at all shows that there is something going on here. Excessive movement is not a problem I've seen mentioned with other sims very often, including this sim's predecessor, so they're obviously doing something right which AMS 2 is not.

Out of interest, what is the solution in your view? I mean, you can set it to one extreme or the other, or anywhere in between. I'm not sure what else can be done? (Genuine interest here)
The solution is having a world movement percentage setting which is affected by car suspension movement only. Instead of the horizon jumping up and down when you go over every little bump in the road, the car body bumps up and down instead. With this setting, you wouldn't get the body of the car floating around like a boat due to track elevation changes and banked turns, and the scenery won't shake excessively either. I'm pretty sure they have this in rFactor 2, and it is called "Stabilise horizon" and can be set to off, low, medium or high. I think in some racing sims this is possibly called "head movement".

Here's another perspective:
I play in a motion rig, which does a great job of rendering how bumpy a track is. The game then adds it's own visual bumps and the sum of the two means I can't drive properly on some track/car combos. If I change the setting to remove the bumps, going up a hill locks the camera at the road and I can't see where I'm going.
Reiza said the AMS1 system is coming. I'm not familiar with it but it sounded better.

The "World movement" setting isn't enough. We need a "horizon stabilisation" setting like rF2 has. My eyes shouldn't see the world bounce up and down. If you have world movement set to 0 you see the car dash rolls all over the place.
Horizon stabilization in rF2, even when set to high, is not even as effective as world movement set to 0 in AMS2. The horizon still moves a bit. If you want the same amount of horizon movement as rF2's horizon stabilization set to high, set world movement to around 30.

And yes, the car moves around a bit more in AMS2 with low world movement, compared to rF2, because...the car moves around a bit more in AMS2 compared to rF2...

And you can't have a static cockpit and a static horizon. The car is moving. Either you stabilize the camera to the horizon, in which case the car appears to move a lot, or you "bolt" the camera to the car, in which case obviously the horizon will be bouncing around, because the camera will be fixed to the car. You can adjust the ratio between the two options by adjusting the world movement higher or lower, but you can't make the movement disappear.

Horizon stabilization in rF2, even when set to high, is not even as effective as world movement set to 0 in AMS2. The horizon still moves a bit. If you want the same amount of horizon movement as rF2's horizon stabilization set to high, set world movement to around 30.

And yes, the car moves around a bit more in AMS2 with low world movement, compared to rF2, because...the car moves around a bit more in AMS2 compared to rF2...

And you can't have a static cockpit and a static horizon. The car is moving. Either you stabilize the camera to the horizon, in which case the car appears to move a lot, or you "bolt" the camera to the car, in which case obviously the horizon will be bouncing around, because the camera will be fixed to the car. You can adjust the ratio between the two options by adjusting the world movement higher or lower, but you can't make the movement disappear.
You can make both of them disappear. That's the great thing about a "simulation"; you can "simulate" what you want to simulate, and I vote for simulating what the eyes would see.

You can make both of them disappear.
The only way to completely eliminate both horizon and cockpit movement would be to lock the camera to the horizon, and make the entire car "hover" above the ground, never reacting to any bumps, jolts, or undulations. Trust me, that would look and feel ridiculous and completely unrealistic. No sim does that, unless it's a hovercraft simulator.

Just because a sim uses a different term than Reiza's "world movement", it does not mean that the concept is any different. Reiza themselves have agreed that their implementation of this feature is not the best in AMS 2, which is why they've agree to do something about it. The tweaks are coming, people just need to have a little patience.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back