Paul Jeffrey

Premium
We talk to Niels Heusinkveld and try out the soon to be released Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Sprint.

Catching up with Niels Heusinkveld at the recent very busy Sim Racing Expo over in Germany, we took the opportunity to quiz the man behind Heusinkveld Engineering about his newly announced Sim Pedals Sprint set of high end sim racing pedals. With Niels in a buoyant mood following what appeared to be a largely very positive reception to the new hardware, we took the opportunity to question him about the features and improvements of the new gear, learning plenty about how some dramatic software features and production improvements have moved the product range on from the already very impressive offerings of HE Engineering.

Not content with merely taking Niels at his word, we also couldn't quite resist the chance to get strapped into the cockpit and have a go ourselves, recording a short but sweet talk and drive segment as we give our first impressions based on the limited time we had with these brand new set of pedals.

Frankly, I was very impressed, although it is exceptionally hard to gather any serious kind of feel with something like a high end set of pedals with such a short period of time behind the wheel... not helped any by a crowd of people watching on, and a camera and microphone in my face!

However, with that said I'm going to be lucky enough to take receipt of a review set of these pedals in the very near future, so please consider this more of a taster video, with a much more in depth and detailed look at the HE Sim Pedals Sprint set to appear on our various social media channels in the near future. So stay tuned, get subscribed and watch out for some new footage in the (hopefully) coming weeks...

Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Sprint Talk n Drive.jpg

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
I'm going to be buying these Sprint pedals along with the Sim-Lab P1-X. I was planning on getting the HE Sprint Baseplate as I wanted a heel rest. I'm wondering what other options there are, whether or not this is the best solution. I hear it can be fiddly. I want to have great adjustment ability and it to not be overly difficult as I can be very OCD about getting everything just right, so I'm sure to make numerous adjustments on the way to perfection. I know Sim-Lab has the baseplate with slider, but I don't need to make continuous adjustments once I get it right, but if that was better for me, I'll consider it. I didn't know if the slide functionality had any cons or not. Thanks.

Upvote 0
I'd also say that just mount the pedal directly to the P1-X pedal tray. The thing you might want to adjust is the heel rest, and you can quite easily have one made for you (plastic, steel) once you figure out if you need one, and how tall.

Upvote 0
I'd also say that just mount the pedal directly to the P1-X pedal tray. The thing you might want to adjust is the heel rest, and you can quite easily have one made for you (plastic, steel) once you figure out if you need one, and how tall.
Thanks. I don't lose any adjustability then by not using HE Baseplate? I know Sim-Lab has a separate heel rest similar to HE's, minus the mounting part for pedals. I suppose I could see if I needed one and what I would want and get it then, as there would be that part of pedal tray where my feet could go until then.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

No, you can still move them on profile.
I ditched my HE Pro plate. Suggest also get heelrest from sim-lab, you'd need it.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I don't lose any adjustability then by not using HE Baseplate? I know Sim-Lab has a separate heel rest similar to HE's, minus the mounting part for pedals. I suppose I could see if I needed one and what I would want and get it then, as there would be that part of pedal tray where my feet could go until then.

No, you don't lose any adjustability. Just get the Simlab heelplate and you are good to go. Actually, my advice, when purchasing the rig, just get most of the spareparts... You will need them at some point. ;)

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Get different shoes. Puma makes great ones. Drift Cat I believe.

Upvote 0
Good sugestion, would have prefered a more cost effecient way ^^

Wouldn't the grip tape wear out the pedals?

Shoes work well. My driving shoes have excellent traction so that this isn't an issue.

Grip tape would be adhesive side down to the pedal surface. If anything, the grip tape would protect the pedal face from wear. What it might wear out is the bottom of your shoe.

Below I have adhesive back neoprene on my clutch pedal so the ball of my foot doesn't bend backwards uncomfortably. The clutch pedal face no longer touches my shoe, so the face shouldn't wear out.

clutchpad_4981.jpg

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Good sugestion, would have prefered a more cost effecient way ^^

Wouldn't the grip tape wear out the pedals?
It will wear out your shoes.
DSD used that on their pedals, that was the main complaint as soon you had floor under the pedals covered with rubber shavings.
Grippy rubber sole works the best.

Another improvement that was highly requested was to the pedal face itself, many people found that the stock wilwood grip tape was too abrasive, personally I didn’t mind the old grip tape but it did wear through my boots pretty quickly.

Upvote 0
A curved pedal faceplate for the brake would make it feel so much better. I don't understand why they didn't designed it that way, and of course, adding some texture, not just a slippery and flat piece of metal.

OBPPRV302-V3-Full_2.jpg

Reactions: CC
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

A curved pedal faceplate for the brake would make it feel so much better. I don't understand why they didn't designed it that way, and of course, adding some texture, not just a slippery and flat piece of metal.
The current design mimics some real race cars pedal faces.
I wouldn't mind wider brake pedal though, that should make it easier to setup the distance between pedals for both heel-toe and left foot braking applications.
Any ideas on aftermarket replacement?

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I have to admit I liked the highly curved pedals on my CS V3 pedals.

With inverted pedals the curve of the clutch pedal is painful! With the long throw, your toes bend backwards.

I may eventually 3D print / cast / mold / form something for myself. Not sure how I would do it at this point.
You can probably just get real Tilton pads https://www.summitracing.com/parts/til-72-6034, they are curved, like really curved. :)

Upvote 0
You can probably just get real Tilton pads https://www.summitracing.com/parts/til-72-6034, they are curved, like really curved. :)

Those look wide but not nearly curved enough at least for a clutch pedal.

Not sure they would bolt up especially since there is a slight curve on the HE pedals and their supporting arms, so a flat backed pedal could be problematic.

What I've seen is that the deep pour Epoxy I've been using is VERY pliable after curing for 48 hours and could be easily bent to fit these pedals exactly and possibly screwed in from the back of the pedal. It also shapes VERY easily. So I could pour a rectangle and in 2 days press fit it to a pedal. Then a day later rasp, file, sand it to shape and drill into it using the holes matching the pedal face to secure from the back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back