Have Your Say: Should All Sims Have Flashback/Rewind Options?

Ok I was suggesting it was an impossible move that could never be pulled off but you tried anyway.

As for discipline I have deducted myself points in an offline championship before because I felt my pass was unfair. I just want to keep my experience realistic and a glitch that ends my race with 10% of a 2 hour race isn't realistic.
I agree about the glitches point, but I think that if you know you can rewind, you'll try more stupid moves in the end, because "hey why not?". I do tend to eliminate car/track combos that are too problematic, so there's a lesser risk of glitches ruining my race. Either way, flukes happen in real life too, probably more often than in games, actually.

As soon as it's available, there's the temptation to use it for other situations too. It changes the whole experience, because it's there. You start risking it when you wouldn't otherwise.

This. Imo it would promote a "wrong" kind of attitude towards practising.

Patience seems to be a loosing virtue these days.

:confused::cautious:
So you sayin....
rFACTOR 2 really does have "resume from replay" feature !?? :O_o::alien:
Well ** me.... :devilish: I haven't had a slightest clue about it.
All those races all those years wasted in vain my God... :cry:

I agree about the glitches point, but I think that if you know you can rewind, you'll try more stupid moves in the end, because "hey why not?". I do tend to eliminate car/track combos that are too problematic, so there's a lesser risk of glitches ruining my race. Either way, flukes happen in real life too, probably more often than in games, actually.
More racing happens in games in 1 hr than it does IRL around the world in 5 years .

Why angst and cry simcade

Sims have arcade stuff like virtual mirrors ???

I have said for 10 years sims need to 2 versions

Pro version : would have no aids whatsoever or arcade features, which would save setting up for Pro driving and clear a heap of menu space

AMA version : would have everything normal sims have like virtual mirrors, auto pits, press ESC to pit etc etc etc

No. Cheapens the experience for everyone.

Example:
The internet is full of hot lap videos from loads of racers displaying their attempts at certain car/track combos, because they're proud of their accomplishment and it serves as an aid for other racers also trying to improve their lines. What stops people from using this feature to the max and repeating this feature after every turn until they nail each one and then moved to the next and repeats the process until they have the perfect (or close to perfect)lap. Now when they rewind to the beginning of the lap and press play they now have the perfect lap on display with no rewind in sight. Attaining the best lap you can is now a simple process.

I have no problems with aids like steering control, stability control, auto transmission etc because even though they help newcomers they quickly learn that they make you slower and the only way to get faster is to learn without them. That doesn't cheapens the experience.

I say no, simply because it is supposed to be a SIM. And if you are simulating real world racing, you can't rewind from a crash in real life. Maybe SIM-Cade's like Forza or F1 20XX that would be acceptable.

Simpl
No. Cheapens the experience for everyone.

Example:
The internet is full of hot lap videos from loads of racers displaying their attempts at certain car/track combos, because they're proud of their accomplishment and it serves as an aid for other racers also trying to improve their lines. What stops people from using this feature to the max and repeating this feature after every turn until they nail each one and then moved to the next and repeats the process until they have the perfect (or close to perfect)lap. Now when they rewind to the beginning of the lap and press play they now have the perfect lap on display with no rewind in sight. Attaining the best lap you can is now a simple process.

I have no problems with aids like steering control, stability control, auto transmission etc because even though they help newcomers they quickly learn that they make you slower and the only way to get faster is to learn without them. That doesn't cheapens the experience.
Simply limit to 2 per session?

Oh, you're so good at writing provoking articles, don't you :p
If you go to kart track, there are also stupid people who divebomb, crash into you and do other silly things basically risking their own and your health. And you're paying money for that.
So the stupid AI is not an excuse.
I'd vote for no. Kills the whole fun learning the car and track.

I say no, simply because it is supposed to be a SIM. And if you are simulating real world racing, you can't rewind from a crash in real life. Maybe SIM-Cade's like Forza or F1 20XX that would be acceptable.
I hate this argument. It's a sim so should replicate real life.. i agree.

But how do you explain terrible damage models like those of AC and raceroom. Drive in to a wall at 200mph and carry on like nothing has happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure why not... much like all other aids that exist today no one is forced to use them.
We have lots of these features today.. i.e. Resets/ Vulnerability/ Aggression / talent adjustments/TC/Stability control...

Having the ability to continue from a specific point in the race is a nice feature. Interruptions is a big thing for me so it's a great feature that allows me to continue at a later date.:thumbsup:

As long it doesn't work in MP.

HELL NO! It's a cheating tool, for today's people that want's everything just handed over to them. In Arcade blaah you can have what you want, not gonna touch them. But if someone starting to say it's coming to true sim's, i'm gonna sacrifie a tiny cute little white rabbit in front of very young audience...

Why not? If you dont like it dont use it. Rewind would be a great way to learn new tracks in practice. And when the Ai wants to play rough. As long as it invalidates a lap i see nothing wrong with it. At the end of day these are still video games. No matter what you want to call it.

HELL NO! It's a cheating tool, for today's people that want's everything just handed over to them. In Arcade blaah you can have what you want, not gonna touch them. But if someone starting to say it's coming to true sim's, i'm gonna sacrifie a tiny cute little white rabbit in front of very young audience...
Can you explain why?

............. if you are simulating real world racing, you can't rewind from a crash in real life. Maybe SIM-Cade's like Forza or F1 20XX that would be acceptable.

Well sorry to break the news but most sims have aids and aids are not real life, how can they reconcile that ? By saying but you can turn them off ?
Well why can't anyone said no just turn off rewinds too !
Does anyone see the irony ?

Like I said why can't everyone have their pie and eat it too .......just not at the same table

I think developers miss out, Pro and AMA version of a sim would also be additional income ? How ?
Well many of the drivers that purchased the AMA version would get better and more confident
and starting turning off a aid here a aid there and want to race with Pros on the Pro servers

To do that they would need to buy the Pro version as well hehehe
Anyone buys both versions give a discount though ;)

Simpl

Simply limit to 2 per session?
I'd be more onboard if there was some sort of penalty for using the rewind feature more so than just an invalid lap. Like a loss of 1,2 or 3% bhp for a small amount of time (minute maybe two) , anyone who wrote off their car will take that sort of penalty as opposed to starting again. I'm more concerned about the balance of easier should come at a cost. It can't be so severe that they don't want to try but enough to notice and make them not want to keep doing it.

I'd be more onboard if there was some sort of penalty for using the rewind feature more so than just an invalid lap. Like a loss of 1,2 or 3% bhp for a small amount of time (minute maybe two) , anyone who wrote off their car will take that sort of penalty as opposed to starting again. I'm more concerned about the balance of easier should come at a cost. It can't be so severe that they don't want to try but enough to notice and make them not want to keep doing it.
I see what you're saying but...I think everyone immediately thinks this is bout correcting poor driving. For me at least it's not.

Another example...I'm deep in to a 3 hour endurance race when out the corner of my eye I see my cat peeing on the floor. Completely distracted me and off I go before I could hit pause.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Lewis Hamilton has to deal with pi$$ing cats or nagging wives when he's racing.

I think in most games with a rewind feature, the amount of assists the player can use is tied to the difficulty level - so you'll forego an opportunity later in the race to rewind every time you rewind. Also. you typically earn more XP/money/points/whatever for using less rewinds. So in those cases, the player is forced into a decision about their opportunity cost.

I'm certain that could be mimicked in sim racing. And the developers also have the opportunity to do what you described and handicap the player every time the use the rewind.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back