Have Your Say: Should All Sims Have Flashback/Rewind Options?

Realistic in what terms?
If i drive my RWD car in the snowy road and for some reason overlook the icy bit, or any undulation, I'll spin out and there's a chance i'll end up upside down in the woods. Do I have a rewind option? But does it really matter? When I got an RWD car in the first place I knew that some random things like that can, and will happen. People just tend to get only good things, and put away the bad things that comes with the package.
On any amateur race track theres huge chance you can be rearended by someone, or your brakes would suddently fail. And when it happens, well, too bad for you. You ruined yourself a race, a car, and probably health too. Now transfer it into safe room with a rig and people dare to complain about ruined races... duh.
And I agree with you about damage model, it needs to be less rewarding. And gearbox need failing if you mishift. Afterall, it's just so much more fun watching a replay of you crashing, even if it ruined a race, than watching a video replay sitting in a moving chair... and yeah, watching that is really part of the fun process of simracing for me. I remember in Rally Trophy, when I ruined the stage, at least I enjoyed watching my car bouncing off the ditch or some roadside stones, just for the sake of realistic physics behaviour, that I haven't seen in any mainstream racing games before.

And the more you use bad AI as an excuse for rewind, the more chances that there'll be rewind everywhere, and AI will be still bad, if not worse. Make the rewind function is like a shortcut to deal with the problem which is much more complicated to solve properly.
Take the aliasing thing. A lot of modern games use DOF effect just to hide the aliasing of objects or shadows in the distance.
Realistic in the sense that the game can some times glitch and drop you back in heading off the track. Totally not your fault and something that never happens in real life.

Realistic in the sense that life get in the way sometimes. Seldom do race drivers have to deal with their mother in law bursting in car and telling them to get some fresh air or a knock at the door etc, etc.

Like I say. This isn't about rewarding bad driving it's about not being cheated out of a race because of something out of your control.

Yeah, if you have 2 or 3 to use per race people will inevitably use them for driving mistakes, but to be honest what do you care, it's not your experience.

I'm just imagining people around the world losing sleep "oh my god someone just used a rewind in a sim, noooooo" life will go on pal.

I generally race on RaceRoom, AMS, rFactor 2, Dirt Rally and just got into iracing for batter or worse and in all I've crashed and in all I've damaged my car's so bad my race was over. Which Sims are you talking about where the damage model is bad?
All of the above. Raceroom is especially bad. I don't deny that it's possible to immobilise your car but it's far too difficult.

And that is exactly why the rewind thingy is wrong !

Because you get habitual about it and don't realise that learning a track is about geting into the rhythm and flow of "the whole track" and going through the gears and brake points letting it becoming part of you, not just separate corners.

You never learn to get into the rhythm by rewinding corners all the time.
To me this whole Flashback/Rewind option just sounds like pure laziness, or the opposite to serious ;)

The whole allure of racing is basically missed using this option.
And you're most likely to NEVER have a Simgasm ever :)

I agree with what you have said here. Personally I wouldn't use the rewind feature for that. I think they should be used for when a player has been unfairly cheated out of a race due to circumstances beyond their control, like a glitch in the game or a distraction in the real world.

Having said that if someone wants to use it that way who am I to stop them. I do believe that the lap time should not count though.

Realistic in the sense that the game can some times glitch and drop you back in heading off the track. Totally not your fault and something that never happens in real life.

Realistic in the sense that life get in the way sometimes. Seldom do race drivers have to deal with their mother in law bursting in car and telling them to get some fresh air or a knock at the door etc, etc.
Well, from my experience at some kart tracks, yes you don't face with mother in law problem, but you face with other things... once I had a race with a bit of cold outside, so I had to open up my visor a little so my hot breath won't mist my visor. And there was a squirrel crossing the track, and guy in front of me hit it and it flew right into my face, through the visor and stuck to my nose, bleeding. Now go on about mother in law :D
There is also something happening, like suddently something started hurting really, or the helmet getting misted, or your breath turns into that disgusting wet thingy on the balaclava, there is just so much more discomfort in a real thing, and things that go out of your control.

Well, from my experience at some kart tracks, yes you don't face with mother in law problem, but you face with other things... once I had a race with a bit of cold outside, so I had to open up my visor a little so my hot breath won't mist my visor. And there was a squirrel crossing the track, and guy in front of me hit it and it flew right into my face, through the visor and stuck to my nose, bleeding. Now go on about mother in law :D
There is also something happening, like suddently something started hurting really, or the helmet getting misted, or your breath turns into that disgusting wet thingy on the balaclava, there is just so much more discomfort in a real thing, and things that go out of your control.
That's amazing. I would take the mother in law over that any day.

But what am I meant to do at that point when the mother in law disturbs me? Make up a scenario in my head that a badger ran on to the track?

That's amazing. I would take the mother in law over that any day.

But what am I meant to do at that point when the mother in law disturbs me? Make up a scenario in my head that a badger ran on to the track?
Well, whatever scenario it is, it's due the chaotic nature of this world, why bother making something up? it's the same reason afterall.
If single player, why not just pause the game? If multi... I just do what you could do in real life, park on the trackside grass, or go to pits. You can insta-go to pits, that's already a huge advantage over the real thing.

Last edited:

Honestly ! - That have never happened to me in a racing game and I have been playing them since the mid 90'S ;)

Ok I'm assuming we didn't hit the pause button in time.

The mother in law example actually happened to me. I was mid race and she burst in and scared the shiz out of me telling me I should get some fresh air. At this point I careered off the road and hit a wall.

But the one example that has happened on multiple occasions is the game glitches. That's when I feel really cheated. For no reason the game freezes, reappears with me off the track with a damaged car at the back of the pack.

But the one example that has happened on multiple occasions is the game glitches. That's when I feel really cheated. For no reason the game freezes, reappears with me off the track with a damaged car at the back of the pack.
Now if that's the game problem it's much more critical to get rid of stutters like that. Or any kind of input lag, or any other things that disturb driving. But what I fear is if the stuff like rewind will be built in, it'll be a shortcut and an excuse to not to solve these problems in a proper way. Which is more complicated and costing more time and money... Pretty graphics, and rock-solid stable 120 fps with no input lag - very expensive to make. Pretty graphics, 60 fps cap, input lag, few ocassional stutters - add a rewind button and all consequences are eliminated.

Last edited:
I WISH this feature could be implemented, as It would improve my singleplayer experience to have that feature. As I see It, the only way it could affect other peoples experience negatively is, that it could take away dev. resources for their WISHES. I can understand that.

But why not use the possibilities of a simulator to the fullest. Isnt that the purpose of a simulator to simulate driving a racecar on track, taking away all the struggle of real life racing. That could for instance be: training a difficult section of the track repeatetly to improve instead of having to drive through all the track.

Yeah they should have it, just like in real life!

Are we seriously debating about rewinding in every racing SIMULATION? How can a game be accounted to some sort of simulation if you can go back in time in the first place? There are no consequences to our acts if we are allowed to try anything on track and can rewind at will. Forza's got loot boxes; should all pseudo simulation games have them as well? Where is the world heading to?

Yeah they should have it, just like in real life!

Are we seriously debating about rewinding in every racing SIMULATION? How can a game be accounted to some sort of simulation if you can go back in time in the first place? There are no consequences to our acts if we are allowed to try anything on track and can rewind at will. Forza's got loot boxes; should all pseudo simulation games have them as well? Where is the world heading to?
In real life you can't crash in to a wall at 100mph and carry on. What's your point?

there's no pause button in real life either :cautious:. That's actually very unrealistic now that I think of it. And for pure realism, when you crash into a wall you should have to sit there and wait for them to come give you a tow back to the pits.

It would be a perfect feature to train a difficult corner 10-20 times to get it right instead og driving the whole track each time. A more effiecient training tool which could help me a lot.

Honestly OP when you wrote rewind and sim in the same sentence i was like....
tenor.gif

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 162 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 304 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing