Have Your Say: Should All Sims Have Flashback/Rewind Options?

Give me the option.

This is PC gaming. This platform is built on letting the player decided how they play the game.

If I don't want to use the flashback, I'll just turn it off. If I do want it, I'll turn it on.

And to the people that gatekeep sim racing by saying real sim racers don't use flashback and assistants, they can shut their mouths because nobody died and made them king.

A rewind option would be great.

That way I could start every race on the grass, a lap down with a broken car, run a load of laps in reverse gear, and end the race in pole position.

Resume from replay, or save to continue later makes sense due to endurance races.
But rewind.... no, just no

Ohh... On a good old days, Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 2 have this feature. You can save the game at any point of the race.

And I like an other feature of that game. The multi-driver playing. You can select more driver/car (2,3, or the all of them) and during the race, the game switching beetween the cars. :)

I use it a lot in Forza, but I feel like I'm developing bad habits that might transfer over to actual race sims.

I'd say devs should feel free to include it for as long as there's an option to completely turn it off for those who want challenge (and extra rewards for games with progression).

Last edited:
Give me the option.

This is PC gaming. This platform is built on letting the player decided how they play the game.

If I don't want to use the flashback, I'll just turn it off. If I do want it, I'll turn it on.

And to the people that gatekeep sim racing by saying real sim racers don't use flashback and assistants, they can shut their mouths because nobody died and made them king.

So who died and made you an opinion police?

If the devs are inclined to implement it, I say go for it (as long as it can be disabled, of course).

Everybody is at different skill levels and everybody approaches these sims differently - if such a feature would help sell more copies, then that is good for the overall community in my book.

Personally though, I would be much more intrigued by a sim going in the opposite direction and punishing you for stupidity. I'll tell you what's a big immersion killer - the fact that every sim currently on the market is a willing accomplice in my tendency to come tearing out of the pits (breaking the pitlane speed limit in the process in most sims) and then put it into the wall (because I forgot I was on cold tires) within the first couple turns. Oh well! Esc and try again!

Depending on my mood, this often is not a bother to me (other than being mildly irked by my own stupidity)...but other times (like when I'm doing an offline championship) I find myself wishing the sim would handle the situation realistically. Black flag my butt for the speeding; make me miss the rest of practice (or worse) for putting it into the wall; etc.

since all other driving aids can usually be turned of one way or another, why not put it in? If it attracts more players and then a few of those filter through to league racing or other more sophisticated online events, fine!
See no need being against it at all, used it from time to time in Dirt3 myself, to no ill effect. however, like any other drug, it's a slippery slope, very easy to get used to. If you then run in a league which does not allow it, you face a problem ...

btw: why doesn't this tread have a vote attached to it? would make sense, wouldn't it?

Yes! I won't always use it, just like I don't touch any of the assists in, say, Rfactor 2, but it's neat nonetheless.

I'd love to see some replay features you normally see in strategy games as well: Sims should have a function where you can jump into any car at any point in a replay and redrive the race from that perspective against the AI. And, honestly, more games just need that ability that allows you to save a race midsession and return to it later like the F1 series has.

I don't use this and I think it's very boring to use it. If you crash, you crash. You can't rewind in Reallife :D
The only game I use this sometimes is F1 from Codemasters because the AI often crash into you from behind. But normaly I don't need this.

I've never used a replay option in any sim. If you crash, deal with it; drive better. lol. I do think some features are meant to satisfy the more casual/ arcade player, replay being one of them. And there's noting wrong with that but to me things like replay and offline career mode and unlocking content are aimed more at gamers, not sim racers. To me, the purpose of a game is to win something..prizes, etc. A sim should be bare bones and only include those features that relate directly to racing..pit stops, car setups, fuel mixtures, etc. But with that said, I completely understand that developers need to appeal to a wide demographic and alienating one group over another doesn't result in good sales. For me, I simply discard the features that don't interest me. First and foremost, I want good ffb and physics, everything after that is just fluff.

It would be useful because AI tends to have many problems, but I prefer to learn to avoid the problems rather than rewind, because that feature ruins the whole experience.

For a training mode purpose it could be very usefull to be able to train on specific situations. But other than that, it’s just cheating imho. What would be left of real life racing if there was such a thing. Totally nothing imho.

Just like with sims. The fact you have to seek your own limits and deal with them make it fun. Continue resetting your race just before the point it went wrong for you ain’t no fun. It would be as fun as setting the AI to the lowest possible option and win every ten minute race with 2 laps ahead of the AI. No fun, no pleasure and no joy.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back