Have Your Say: Should All Sims Have Flashback/Rewind Options?

I find that while it's more rewarding to play without them, it definitely helps for powering through a career mode or dealing with a particularly vicious course for the first time. I wouldn't want them for anything with an online leaderboard, but as they're usually disabled for those anyways, why not have the option? It makes it a lot less intimidating for new players to ease in.

I find that while it's more rewarding to play without them, it definitely helps for powering through a career mode or dealing with a particularly vicious course for the first time. I wouldn't want them for anything with an online leaderboard, but as they're usually disabled for those anyways, why not have the option? It makes it a lot less intimidating for new players to ease in.
4ae.jpg

This is a trick question, … it is a trick question !?
Is it a trick question … or isn't it !?
This … is a trick question … ?
Come on, it surely must be a trick question !

This must be a trick question goddammit !!!

Or it is just click bait … and I fell for it.

Add it in, why not? Those don't wanna use it don't have to use it. PERSONALLY I would use it only conservatively. Since I have been busy with life, my race craft has been hurting. I was trying to do a long endurance race in AMS, (had to be like an hour and a half in) and made an idiot mistake that totaled the car.

If people need it then include it, but have the option of disabling it, not at the expense of other more important features I hasten to add.
After all is said and done the option of a 'rewind' doesn't exist in 'Real Life'.
:cool:

I would just add, that if for example rf2 shipped without any aids available other than abs and tcs and someone suggested adding a stability control, I can't imagine the shitstorm that would erupt form that, and yet it has stability control, brake/throttle control and even frikken steering control! (that last one really ruined 1 particular league race where somehow it got set to low and I felt I was fighting some weird invisible hand the whole race! :confused:)

So if sims really were already purest sim trying to mimic real life, then I would get the outrage at the mere suggestion here, but the fact is that the devs have already conceded that it's also a game by adding the above features, so why not make their games more accessible to the masses and people like me who would like this feature? More revenue for them = more content, bigger teams, more updates etc. I mean it's not like you have to enable it if you don't want it.

I have seen games these days that holds the players hands constantly. I mean, what is going on with people today that need that much help or think its ok or "fun" with so much hand holding? Some games have "press E to open the door" on every fudging door! Seriously?! :O_o::D

When i started out on the Commodore 64 there was no manuals or tutorials. Nothing indicating what to do in the game. You were a green blob and some sci-fi/fantasy/messy looking "world" around you that gave you no idea whatsoever on what to do. Developer: "there you go kid, have fun!!!" :confused::D Somehow we figured it out and had fun figuring it out (NO internet... NO walkthroughs!!!). Today when i get into a game that does EVERYTHING for me i just sigh and think "do the developers think we are THIS dumb?"...

Having to go through mishaps make you more engaged and make you more careful, and if you really want to win then you sharpen your skills and senses. If you play casually then you will get annoyed that you have to train and start over etc of course, but with too much "saving" for people that want challenge (most simmers im sure) you lose that sense of fear and for me personally i get tired real quick when something is too easy. Arcade games and the likes - sure, but in simulators? Nah.

no flashbacks, no restarts, no retries, if anything is needed, racing games should reward/promote the player who plays on despite misfortune, bad luck, poor car setup and car damage,(e.g. car licence for higher class cars, just because you didn't win the series doesn't mean your stuck for progress), and should fully demote anyone who quits out of a race early because they cant get 1st and/or takes out players on purpose,(by removing licence ranks so repeat offenders can't drive higher class cars or compete in certain events until they change there bad habits, and instead of flashbacks give them 3 warnings that they are about to be taken down level)

no flashbacks, no restarts, no retries, if anything is needed, racing games should reward/promote the player who plays on despite misfortune, bad luck, poor car setup and car damage,(e.g. car licence for higher class cars, just because you didn't win the series doesn't mean your stuck for progress), and should fully demote anyone who quits out of a race early because they cant get 1st and/or takes out players on purpose,(by removing licence ranks so repeat offenders can't drive higher class cars or compete in certain events until they change there bad habits, and instead of flashbacks give them 3 warnings that they are about to be taken down level)

Well this might sound strange given that I've just advocated flashbacks, but what you're describing is a progression system that I would absolutely love to see in modern sims. It's something I can't stand about the modern sim is that it's just 'here's some cars, go drive them'. And after you get over the wow factor it all kind of feels a bit pointless, even though I've come up with loads of my own progression idea on excel. IRacing's IRating is one of the main reasons it's my main sim, it's a great way to feel engaged and feel like there's something at stake. Anyway this is another topic (ie the career mode thread). I guess I'm saying if they're doing things semi casually like restarts allowed, stability assists etc, then why not use flashbacks. However I'd much prefer to see your idea implemented.

Oh yes. That'd most welcome especially in Dirt Rally. Sims are fun, but they can bothersome to restart a race because of some silly mistake. And if you don't want to use it, simply turn it off.

No they dont have to make it for me,But if others like it its okay :thumbsup:--if the day comes where you can use it in multiplayer I would protest tho :D
This is spot on. I completely get where the questioner is coming from. Just today I was 30 mins in to a 45 min race and AI back marker takes me out. I would have loved a flashback then. It's offline, who cares what you do offline. I would welcome flashbacks in offline mode only.

If the devs are inclined to implement it, I say go for it (as long as it can be disabled, of course).

Everybody is at different skill levels and everybody approaches these sims differently - if such a feature would help sell more copies, then that is good for the overall community in my book.

Personally though, I would be much more intrigued by a sim going in the opposite direction and punishing you for stupidity. I'll tell you what's a big immersion killer - the fact that every sim currently on the market is a willing accomplice in my tendency to come tearing out of the pits (breaking the pitlane speed limit in the process in most sims) and then put it into the wall (because I forgot I was on cold tires) within the first couple turns. Oh well! Esc and try again!

Depending on my mood, this often is not a bother to me (other than being mildly irked by my own stupidity)...but other times (like when I'm doing an offline championship) I find myself wishing the sim would handle the situation realistically. Black flag my butt for the speeding; make me miss the rest of practice (or worse) for putting it into the wall; etc.
I have been calling for this feature for years. Realistic damage model and punishment for damaging your car.

Maybe 2 cars per weekend. Don't bend both of them or you're out of the weekend.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 86 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 322 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 455 39.2%