I hate the fact race room doesn't allow custom skins. It puts me off the title entirely. I may be in the minority but seriously what's the big deal. At least make an option to use skins offline for us to enjoy. Rant over.

Right on, Vern! What are we supposed to do with the YEARS" of downloaded tracks and etc. that we love running?

Fastjeff

Simbin have not actually said GTR3 will not be moddable. However there is no escaping that tracks created 12 years ago are not going to be anything like the same standard as tracks specifically made for GTR3. So why not run tracks intended for GTR2 in GTR2 and tracks intended for GTR3 in GTR3.

I'd like to add to the list:
  • Smart replay cameras, which frame not just your car like you see in current games. Instead, like on television, during an overtake both cars should be in view. And at the start of a race, show a more zoomed-out overview shot.

Now that you mention it, I'd really love that!

If it meant for a better game i wouldnt care if they didnt bag official licences for the sake of a great damage model and competitive series racing... That being if its actually true that manufacturers dont like damage in games.

Probably not very popular but I'd like to see GTR3 built from the ground up in DX12.

Would potentially reduce driver overhead and allow for more complex additions to the AI, physics and graphics, as well as allow for options such as multi-GPU support and multi threaded processes.
I understand it's "mostly" backwards compatible with DX11 too so an option could be put in place to disable aspects not compatible with DX11 for users with older hardware/software.
VULKAN might be a better proposition than DX12... :coffee:

On the subject of dynamic track, I really would like to see this fully implemented to the point where all skid marks are visually and physically represented over an entire race so if you leave one on a corner at the start of the race it's still there at the end, however from what I've heard this eats up a lot of resource so maybe this is an unrealistic expectation. Further to this I would like to see barriers act like barriers and tire walls work like tire wall I.e. Tire walls being a lot softer that steel barriers causing less car damage and moving a lot more that a steel barrier on impact.

On the subject of damage I think GTR2 has one of the best physical and visual damage systems out there, I'd only like to see this taken further and improved apon. For me damage is very important in a sim, when I'm racing GTR2 I get a sense of fear of damaging the car and makes me drive much more consciously and realistically, also it deters wreckers, especially if there is a voting system or banning system in place for anyone who exploits it for the purpose of ruining everyone eleses fun. Also in GTR2 I can visually see who's got damage and pass accordingly. Also (and this is in conjunction with dynamic track) if you blow the engine up maybe you leave oil all over the track and the track reacts accordingly affecting grip in that area. One thing a lot of sims never simulate is damage from beneath the car I.e. Big. Curbs damaging undercarriage, aero, and suspension. If you land hard from a jump in a real car you can total it, never happens in a sim though, I'd like to see this.

I'd like to see the "force cockpit view" kept. If you use it and a car has limited visibility (as some in real life do), drivers not using it have an unfair advantage.

I'd love to see the A.I. Slow down problem we're all familiar with in long offline races solved, when the a.i. Get damaged they need to pit and fix it if it's significant enough to slow them down. Having said that GTR2 has some of the best A.I. of any racing game I've played, which I'd only like to see improved. Also it would be nice if you could add A.I. To a multiplayer race (like you can in Rfactor), just to give you some competition whilst you're waiting for the server to fill up.

Would like the pit crew not to automatically add loads of fuel unless you tell them to in strategy, in GTR2 if you make a zero pit stop strategy but then pick up damage and pit the a.i. Are still set to add full fuel by default and you have to waste time turning that down to zero before making repairs.

Would like windscreen wipers.

If someone's wheel comes off and rolls across the track you have to avoid it cause it will cause damage.

Proper turbo simulation, proper everything simulation. Basically all that GTR2 already is but better! As realistic as possible! Can't think of anything I really don't like that's in GTR2 so keep everything and just improve, I feel so immersed in this sim already.

Would be very happy to see BTCC touring car add on packs and the like.

I love being able to hit a button and get stats back from the pit about state of the car, position and pit requests, don't wanna see that change.

Sounds in GTR2 are great, more of the same please!

Thank you to Simbin for an already great racing game! Wish the multiplayer server was not down.

I honestly don't like compromises and SimBim always on the Sim side in my head. Hmmmm...

"The product at the end of the day needs to appeal to both sides, hardcore racer as awell and the casual gamer."
Yeah the word "compromise" is a scary term! Console guys already have a WORLD of GAMES to "PLAY" with... I know this is where the money is but damn, serious sim guys are still forced to dick around with half finished simulators that don't come close to GTR 2 and we're nearly two decades down the road and they are already talking "compromise" for next gen stuff???!!! I'm almost 60 and I don't know if I will ever get my dream SIM in my lifetime! :-(

Yeah the word "compromise" is a scary term! Console guys already have a WORLD of GAMES to "PLAY" with... I know this is where the money is but damn, serious sim guys are still forced to dick around with half finished simulators that don't come close to GTR 2 and we're nearly two decades down the road and they are already talking "compromise" for next gen stuff???!!! I'm almost 60 and I don't know if I will ever get my dream SIM in my lifetime! :-(
I know right?

I am not a developer but i can not quite understand why noone has managed to make a game like GTR2 with todays physics. I wouldnt even care about the graphics, they still are ok although obviously not as good as todays games

The original GTR had an Arcade mode. GTR2 had amateur and semi-pro as well as simulator mode. It let you choose whether you did all the practice and qualifying sessions and let you reduce the race length from the full 3 hour races. Compromise for the less hardcore is really nothing new. Don't worry.

It's a bit of an exaggeration to say that console players have everything. I am one of them, and I can tell you that basically all we have are European cars and European tracks. On the PC side, of course, things are very different and it is a critical difference if you are a true race fan.

I oso that begs my question, are we going to see more South American tracks and a bunch of ovals in this release?

I honestly don't like compromises and SimBim always on the Sim side in my head. Hmmmm...

"The product at the end of the day needs to appeal to both sides, hardcore racer as awell and the casual gamer."

While I understand where you're coming from and wish things could stay the way they were, the whole dynamic of gaming has changed from the days of GTR2. Consoles have come a long way in tech terms and consequently hold a far larger share of the financial market than they did in 2006 when GTR2 was launched and the XBox360 was less than a year old.

This means that to make the money they need to progress to the next title, they need the extra (read as 'most of the') revenue from the sales to the console market; because there almost certainly wouldn't be enough cash from the sales to PC's hardcore driving fans alone.

The good news is that the driving genre on consoles has improved by leaps & bounds and is now limited more by the inability to allocate enough functions, because of the lack of buttons on the controllers, rather than the ability of the consoles to reflect a valid simulation of driving/racing.

What is galling is that this problem is more to do with the manufacturers of the consoles than the game developers (GD). If they (MS & Sony but mostly MS) were more open with the ability to use different ways to control the consoles/games, then the GD could write that into the games, i.e. allowing all the necessary functions for those with just a basic controller, and adding extra functions/commands for those who have the equipment; a good example of this, is PCars, where there are far many more functions & commands available to assign, than can actually be assigned to just one XBOne Controller or even a Wheel & Controller combined.

Let's hope Microsoft allow the use of more/multiple and more varied controllers with 'Scorpio'; I hate that I can't use a HOTAS for Elite on XBOne, like I do on PC.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea