OK this is going to be a really unpopular request but it is born out of pure frustration.

I have just been trying to complete an offline race on DTM experience and I just gave up. The AI just keep making insane moves that are totally unrealistic and take me out. They don't seem to be effected in the same way when it comes to contact, they seem like they are glued to their line unless shunted with quite some force. Me on the other hand, little love tap and i'm off.

So, I would like to see a flashback option like we get in the F1 games. I am not a fan really but right now I wish they existed.

I believe that too considering they'll license series rather than only cars. Times changed.

Yeah they have changed. I don't think modding is really going to be a thing going forward in most sims. Maybe authorized third party mods from groups like URD or rF2's TPA program, but I really don't see modding like we are familiar with in sims like rFactor and GTR2 continuing.

Between the (potential) complexity of the physics modelling and the increased graphical fidelity of newer sims I don't think it's really feasible for the average hobbyist modder to produce content nowadays anyway. Obviously there are exceptions, and some lovely content has been created for rF2 and AC by hobbyists, but realistically, the days of huge mods of full race seasons including multiple cars and tracks I think are behind us. And nobody wants to drive the same 5, 10, even 15 year mods from rF1 or GPL on these modern engines, either.

The man hours needed to model and texture just one vehicle to current-gen standards alone has increased exponentially since the glory days of mods like WSC1970 and WSGT. Factor that in with collecting and applying real world data so the physics are at least comparable to default developer content and you're needing a dedicated, full-time team.

Yeah they have changed. I don't think modding is really going to be a thing going forward in most sims. Maybe authorized third party mods from groups like URD or rF2's TPA program, but I really don't see modding like we are familiar with in sims like rFactor and GTR2 continuing.

Between the (potential) complexity of the physics modelling and the increased graphical fidelity of newer sims I don't think it's really feasible for the average hobbyist modder to produce content nowadays anyway. Obviously there are exceptions, and some lovely content has been created for rF2 and AC by hobbyists, but realistically, the days of huge mods of full race seasons including multiple cars and tracks I think are behind us. And nobody wants to drive the same 5, 10, even 15 year mods from rF1 or GPL on these modern engines, either.

The man hours needed to model and texture just one vehicle to current-gen standards alone has increased exponentially since the glory days of mods like WSC1970 and WSGT. Factor that in with collecting and applying real world data so the physics are at least comparable to default developer content and you're needing a dedicated, full-time team.

Agreed, I'm also a bit tired of depending on mods. Wish S397 could license like all the 12 main GT3 cars, TC1, GTE + DPi/P2 and some more of the slow open wheels. I'd be happy with that already :D
I don't want to go PC2 but I guess there won't be any other choice :cry:
GTR3 who knows when or if will actually appear :D

Why surprised. You have modders and modders. If all modding teams have the quality of Reiza Studios, SimBin or Slightly Mad Studios it would be awesome. Unfortunately there are tons of mods out there for both Simbin as ISI titles that are quantity mods. I prefer out of the box quality content and I don't mind paying for it when its original and high standard.

Yeah, i heard these excuses during the development of project cars too. We dont need mods, we serve all the best cars bla bla bla

And what did we got? No DTM, No ADAC GT MASTERS, No WTCC, No BTCC, No STCC. Just a bunch of random cars and DLCs i never buyed because i do not need them.

I really hope GTR3 get mod support, or it is dead from the start. How do you want to use this game in leagues if you can not mod ur own cars/teams and drivers at least? Iam really sad what happend to project cars, i liked the weather system, it had ai in mp and the graphics where awesome. But it died because of the lack of content and no mod support.

I want AI in multiplayer. Currently i drive f1 2016 with just my friend. It is nice to have ai. First we are not alone and secound we can adjust the ai difficoult to match our skills so that it is intresting till the end. Yes we could drive with other strangers on the internet, but you must have very much luck to find people that dont ruin your online drive.

GTR3 will not be a real GTR game if it doesn't have an official top class racing series license. I doubt that a high class racing serie wants to be in a moddable game so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Btw this was a six year old thread which was resurrected. :)

....I will be one happy boy!

I bought GTR2 on steam yesterday and had a mission trying to get it working, but after a number of re-installs and tinkering I finally got it running. My god what a sim this was.

I haven't played for nearly 10 years and it is still better than anything I have played since. Granted I still haven't had a go on AC or PCars yet but I have not had as much fun as I have just now racing 2005 GT cars at Monza.

In my opinion you can't beat a fully licensed game with all the rules etc. The 2 things I hope that sim bin carry through from GTR2 is the AI performance and Damage model. The AI is better/more realistically predictable than any sim I have played recently. They have surprised me a few times today already, I have been approaching back markers thinking "ok, a bit of breathing space" and I look back to see the AI has cruised past and is still right on my tail. Love it.

The other aspect I mentioned is the damage model. This is so important for me. I love the idea of having to protect my equipment for c.2 hours or so. In other sims (RaceRoom being one of the worst offenders for this) the whole immersion thing is shattered in milliseconds when you have a lapse in concentration and slam in to a wall at 100+mph and nothing happens. I think they struck a really nice balance in GTR2. To add to that point, one thing I would really love to see is having only 1 or 2 cars for a weekend. So, no slamming it in to the wall on FP1 and hitting ESC and starting again. Protect your car all weekend, any damage incurs a time penalty in the pits or even having no useable car for the race because you binned it in Quali and wrote off your spare in the warm up.

Any way, can you tell i'm excited.

Oh, and sim bin.....Please let us skin our cars. It's a simple pleasure we don't get to enjoy with RaceRoom. I would play that game a load more if I could run my custom skin in single player mode.

Thanks,
Steve

Would love it to be a tin top series where you start off in Clio Cups or something similar and work your way up to GT machinery. Would add a little extra and wouldn't the lower feeder series' for some of the bigger events like to be in a sim racing title for a bit of extra free advertising to their sport to generate interest/advertising/ticket sales?

Would love it to be a tin top series where you start off in Clio Cups or something similar and work your way up to GT machinery. Would add a little extra and wouldn't the lower feeder series' for some of the bigger events like to be in a sim racing title for a bit of extra free advertising to their sport to generate interest/advertising/ticket sales?
Personally I would love to have a couple of junior series to flesh it out a bit. Gtr2 (whilst my favourite SIM of all time) got a bit stale quite quickly after completing the championship mode.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.