So I dug out my nearly decade old copy of GTR 2, expecting to feel sad that what felt so awesome at the time will look horrible and feel very basic. I was somewhat shocked on 2 fronts
- visuals when fully maxed and AA'd are not bad and actually don't look too far and away from some current gen sims
- more importantly the FFB (with this mod http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=22841) and handling are absolutely fantastic. Honestly that feeling of being on the edge and pushing a slip angle whilst still being completely in control feels better than anything modern I'm playing.

I had a rather amusing thought that if IRacing suddenly dropped a new tire model tomorrow that exactly mimicked GTR2, the fanboys would go absolutely ballistic with happiness and crow around the internet claiming that their new tire model is infinitely superior to any other current gen sims. After that thought though, I got sad that a decade on some so called 'sims' have gone drastically backwards in the physics department.
What physics engine does GTR 2 actually run on, is it an early version of gmotor or their own proprietary one?

All good products start with an idea and a solid plan.

Typical that some hats always see the negative side of things first.

We've seen some mouthwatering screenshots. We know the S3 guys build a proper simulation with R3E with more official series you have seen in other games in recent years. KW can finance whatever game he wants if he wishes.

What can possibly be wrong with announcing, planning and executing the creation of GTR3?

Some people really need to drink less vinegar during their meals and relax a little.

We are getting more and more racing games each day. Be happy with all the choice you have.

Well, I've been at this point a few times now, mind you? Some pretty, "mouthwatering" screenshots, lots of promises but only half baked products and time frames that didn't stand a chance. Not only in the racing sim genre and I could live with broken deadlines, if development was ongoing wich it isn't most of the time due to financial reasons. If being sceptical with the experiences at hand is for you the same as "seeing allways the negatives" then I guess, that we are just two different types of persons with different needs and tastes. That has more something to do with having an opinion and preferences than being a "hat", who sucks up everything, so excuse me that I voice my opinion on what I want to spend my well earned money on. A person not jumping on the hypetrain is certainly not something to worry about and more racing games doesn't equal better racing games. That's a nice little difference.

That R3E is enough simulation for you as for many other people, is all nice and good for you and I guess you will have alot of fun with GTR3 then - no problem with it. But I personaly don't like R3E and it isn't enough for me, so that isn't an argument for me to buy GTR3 either. Next to that I don't like cross platform approaches because in 99% of the cases those products ended pretty bad even with alot of manpower and big development time and million dollar budgets. Now do the math and guess what happens when you create a game with a new engine and limited manpower in a short time frame on three different platforms. If you worked in the gaming environment you will know that a year or two from initial planning to a playable prototype or tech demo is nothing.

They really need to make a big step from R3E to make me buy the game and I am not talking graphics here. Big series franchises or not. If that was a determining factor I would have bought F1 2016 or Nascar Heat Evolution, or I would just boot up my good old GTR2, GTL or rF1 with some great mods because that's basicly the same tech that is in R3E with the difference that most of the basic stuff is working in those older titles and that I have the freedom of choice.

Let me put it like that: I will convince myself when and if there is a tech demo in 6 months. Until then it's tea time with a grain of salt at hand. ;)

• ronniej

The my sim is better than yours discussion is getting old now and hasn't got much to do with different views. It's a pointless discussion without facts that never ends and nobody wins.
With all do respect, It's part of the reason why people click on your website. It would be pretty boring if everyone drank the same kool-aid. Right or wrong, whether its arguing over rF2 vs AC vs Pcars, etc., it helps this publications bottom line. However, I understand the point your trying to make, but I feel the races Lorenzo puts together, the driving academy you do and the mod downloads this website offers far out-weigh any bickering on forums or article pieces as it's mostly entertainment really. Unless of course there is moral or legal policing that needs to be done (Racism, etc.)
Then I think you have no other option than waiting for another ISI title.
I fear you might be right. Still no concrete news of it unfortunately.

A proper career mode. Something along the line of what DiRT 4 is promising. Sign with a team, earn enough money to start your own team and hire your own staff. That would be awesome to have in a GT game.

Also if they went with an older IMSA GTO/Group C license and season I would be ecstatic.

I assume that the physics engine will be a development of the work that has already been done for Raceroom. Unreal 4 will be used as the graphics engine.

Don't see a reason why 2 people would agree or like it, but they said they will be using Racerooms physics and upgrade it heavily, making it more hardcore.

"Additionally we are going to improve on the physics found in RaceRoom Racing Experience and take over the best bits of the audio from RaceRoom as well."

If this is going to just be a further development of ISI gMotor sourced physics why all the hype then? Just come out and say we are rewriting Raceroom dropping RendR and replacing it with UR4.

All this talk about restaffing and attracting investment and making a brand new title etc. makes no sense. If the reality is they are just remaking R3E why all the hype and attempt to make the entire process out to be something it is not?

Then again I have never liked the feel and driving experience of R3E so I probably am not part of their target market.

So I dug out my nearly decade old copy of GTR 2, expecting to feel sad that what felt so awesome at the time will look horrible and feel very basic. I was somewhat shocked on 2 fronts
- visuals when fully maxed and AA'd are not bad and actually don't look too far and away from some current gen sims
- more importantly the FFB (with this mod http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=22841) and handling are absolutely fantastic. Honestly that feeling of being on the edge and pushing a slip angle whilst still being completely in control feels better than anything modern I'm playing.

I had a rather amusing thought that if IRacing suddenly dropped a new tire model tomorrow that exactly mimicked GTR2, the fanboys would go absolutely ballistic with happiness and crow around the internet claiming that their new tire model is infinitely superior to any other current gen sims. After that thought though, I got sad that a decade on some so called 'sims' have gone drastically backwards in the physics department.
What physics engine does GTR 2 actually run on, is it an early version of gmotor or their own proprietary one?
Did you use them wheel settings with a g25 or with a newer wheel?

That R3E is enough simulation for you as for many other people, is all nice and good for you and I guess you will have alot of fun with GTR3 then - no problem with it. But I personaly don't like R3E and it isn't enough for me, so that isn't an argument for me to buy GTR3 either.
So it's enough for plenty of pro-drivers out there to use as training facility, but it "isn't enough for you"? :roflmao: Are you kidding me?
Maybe you don't like it, that's one thing. But "not enough", what nonsense...Raceroom feels a lot more like driving a real car, then rfactor for example, or Petrobras de Marcas (did not try the full version of AMS, but was told PdM is the same)...
btw Project Cars, AC (engine), rF (engine), and R3E are all being used by different pro drivers for training..seems they are enough simulation for them:rolleyes:
ps: rFactor(2) and AMS are not enough for me. And i can say they are really not enough for me - they are just no contemporary sims anymore. But i don't feel the need to spread this out in every f*ckin thread.

The sim racing community is so funny sometimes – though being small and niche many of their members fight against each other and claim that their sim is the one and only. Relax and enjoy what we’ve got.

Maybe @Paul Jeffrey RD can do an article about what/when the physics gurus think the next big break through will be or whats next on the horizon.

Outstanding idea and one I shall steal and claim as my own :D lol

Thanks for the thought man, I'll look into this for sure and see how many devs I can rustle up for a chat on the topic. Will be interesting to see what the differences of opinion is amongst the different studios...

Cheers :)

If this is going to just be a further development of ISI gMotor sourced physics why all the hype then? Just come out and say we are rewriting Raceroom dropping RendR and replacing it with UR4.

All this talk about restaffing and attracting investment and making a brand new title etc. makes no sense. If the reality is they are just remaking R3E why all the hype and attempt to make the entire process out to be something it is not?

Then again I have never liked the feel and driving experience of R3E so I probably am not part of their target market.
I don't like R3E either, because of its payment system, but they can't just change almost everything about the game now, that's why they'll have one party continue with R3E and the other (new) party work on a new game, just taking 2 things from R3E and making them better.

Vinegar mode off:

Simbins return will absolutely shock the whole racing community. Im sure they will set a nerw benchmark with the Unreal engine!! those pictures just blasting through my screen are amazing! Keep them coming. And i like the fact it will be released on all platforms. Currently i do not own a PS4 but im happy for the peeps who own consoles so they can also enjoy the benefit of the shear quality Simbin is releasing on simracing quality. Finally there will be dedicated simracing simulators (not games!!) on the consoles. Hopefully rF2 and AMS will be released on consoles too in the near future:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Are DiRT, Project Cars and Assetto not "dedicated simracing simulators"?
Rally is considered Rally and Racing is considered circuit racing. MAKES SENSE TO MEE WOHOO!
homer_simpson_woohoo-300x190.jpeg

So it's enough for plenty of pro-drivers out there to use as training facility, but it "isn't enough for you"? :roflmao: Are you kidding me?
Maybe you don't like it, that's one thing. But "not enough", what nonsense...Raceroom feels a lot more like driving a real car, then rfactor for example, or Petrobras de Marcas (did not try the full version of AMS, but was told PdM is the same)...
btw Project Cars, AC (engine), rF (engine), and R3E are all being used by different pro drivers for training..seems they are enough simulation for them:rolleyes:
ps: rFactor(2) and AMS are not enough for me. And i can say they are really not enough for me - they are just no contemporary sims anymore. But i don't feel the need to spread this out in every f*ckin thread.

What the hell are you talking about? Alot of pro drivers use racing games, that's no secret. R3E is not enough for me because for different reasons that I am too lazy to list but some are allready mentioned here. Pro drivers actually have very different views on simulators aswell, so I would be carefull to take that as an agument. Next to that are pro drivers not forced to think about renting overly expensive virtual cars and tracks.

Anyway, the topic is GTR3 and what we think about the interview, so I think I made my point pretty clear that I am sceptical. That R3E is enough for you is ok and no nonesense. But please give me same treatment.

Tbh, I don't know why people get so hyper sensestive and call a discussion "fighting". As long as it stays civil I see it as a positive to exchange opinions and views. Alot better than everybody saying "That's cool" or "That's sh*t".

Tbh, I don't know why people get so hyper sensestive and call a discussion "fighting". As long as it stays civil I see it as a positive to exchange opinions and views. Alot better than everybody saying "That's cool" or "That's sh*t".

It's mostly that we've all seen our fair share of shitshows when these things are discussed that makes us so hyper sensative. Ideally though you are ofcourse right.

And to carry on the discussion seeing as R3E is not for you, yeah I'd be skeptical too if the game is indeed going to come out in 2018 I imagine the tech-trading between GTR3 and R3E will have to be quite generous. Now for that very reason unlike you I'm a bit optimistic about the whole thing, R3E is very much for me and if SimBin UK gets a hand from the lads at S3 I think both products stand to benefit greatly from it. Time will tell I guess but it's certainly a possible to see a 6 or a 9 and vice versa about the whole thing.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.