AC GT3 @ VIR - Sunday 14th February 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Good evening Rasmus,

And I thought you would never ask !

I would jump at the chance to do this - I shall check out ACTi (I didn't know what it was) and then we could have a go !
An alternative to ACTI could be built-in telemetry data and Race Studio Analysis software (free).

You just need to set
[TELEMETRY]
DEBUG_PHYSICS=1
in Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\system\cfg\assetto_corsa.ini file to make it export all the necessary data channels.

An alternative to ACTI could be built-in telemetry data and Race Studio Analysis software (free).

You just need to set
[TELEMETRY]
DEBUG_PHYSICS=1
in Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\system\cfg\assetto_corsa.ini file to make it export all the necessary data channels.
This looks interesting! And a lot easier than motec..
thanks for the link! I'll look into this when I have a day off!
To be honest I hate motec.. You touch a wrong thing and there's simply no UNDO button...
But anyway for now I have Motec and it works and I know some others have at least ACTI installed so we could share data :)
Good evening Rasmus,

And I thought you would never ask !

I would jump at the chance to do this - I shall check out ACTi (I didn't know what it was) and then we could have a go !

I usually never have a clear idea what the best line should be atm because most of the tracks are new to me and I have achieved nothing special on them. If I have experience at a track then I know a little more, like for example at Monza I was losing 2 secs at the Variante II exit, but I didn't know how to solve this . I just use the DRIVER61 principles to get a rough idea : long straight exits, end of long straight braking, compound corners in that order of priority. I also try to keep the car accelerating or decelerating only. and to change up at the right revs (which is hard because I don't know what the LED's actually mean). In the races if one of you passes me I watch to see the line to see where I am giving up time and that helps me to understand more.

Thanks a lot for taking an interest, yes I do want to work on it to the maximum mate.

Yeah that all sounds great. I promise you your data will look like complete crap, just like my data looked like :roflmao: :roflmao:

The good thing is that you can easily note down what to "correct" and then check after maybe 10 laps if the data shows improvement.

I had the luck to have two very fast friends so whenever I needed a benchmark lap to correct my driving, I got it within a few days. This was in 2017/18 and I don't really practice since then and I am always able to have fun either at the upper midfield or towards the back but definitely always fast enough to battle with some others :)

ACTI is pretty easy: Just follow the instructions. In the end it comes down to a little program that runs in the background (and you need to change the folder-path to Assetto in its config file) and an AC app that you put into the standard apps folder.
That app has another config file where you set the path to the ACTI folder.

That's basically it! Go on track, open the ACTI Trigger Control app and hit "connect" and you'll record data!

About car LEDs: download the sidekick hud app. It will show you TWO shift indicators.
You need to go on the drag strip with your car of choice, then roll slowly in 1st gear, accelerate into the rev limiter, shift up, brake until you're at low rpm for that gear and accelerate into the rev limiter again.
You need to go all the way down to idle rpm but definitely below any cockpit LED comes on.

Sidekick will read the torque output from the car physics and calculate the optimum shifting point!

Then you'll have two shifting indicators. First for optimum shifting point, second when going close to the rev limiter. In most race cars it's one and the same but with the Ferrari GT3 for examples, the points are miles apart!

I find it hard to believe that you could lose 2 seconds in a single chicane. Or did you mean that you were 2 seconds down for the laptime after Variante II? That's quite possible, there're two chicanes and a long speed section between them, so if your exit from T1 is too bad, you can lose quite a bit.
Here's a GT-R @ Monza WR lap I found (sadly not mine, as I suck at driving The Bus) and it also has a link to the setup in the description. You can try it and then compare and see where you're losing time and how much

Hi Dmitry!

Thank you for taking an interest - Because I didn't have the delta watch that Chris told me about today at Monza, I was doing it manually as was driving around.

Let me explain - at every corner exit I have a habit of looking at the stopwatch on the dash and noting what time it is. Sort of like a manual telemetry to tell me if the lap is any good or not.

So at the exit of the first Variante a good exit time is 18/19 seconds. A good exit time at the second Variante is a 43/44 second time. A good exit at the last Lesmo is at 60/61 seconds, 84 seconds at the exit of Ascari and then 104 seconds exiting parabolica.

So I was carrying on like this and I really needed a set up that day because I had 24 hours to get sorted. I looked around online and found this gentleman:

and saw that my times were not very different to his at the first Variante but at the exit of the second he was 2 seconds up on me and then 2 seconds again at the Ascari exit. So I concluded that I was 2 seconds off because of Variante Alto where to be honest, I was exiting as if I were on a shopping trip on Saturday morning. Now perhaps there is some error in my judgement but I usually find this measure to be quite accurate (I used to play GP2 and I used to do it there to check how I was doing over a lap, and the key to a good time in GP2 at Monza was to go flat as soon as you rotated around the first apex at Variante Alto). That is why I think my main problem is at Variante Alto because I could match this driver's braking and exits everywhere else (I mean almost).

Last edited:
This looks interesting! And a lot easier than motec..
thanks for the link! I'll look into this when I have a day off!
To be honest I hate motec.. You touch a wrong thing and there's simply no UNDO button...
But anyway for now I have Motec and it works and I know some others have at least ACTI installed so we could share data :)

Yeah that all sounds great. I promise you your data will look like complete crap, just like my data looked like :roflmao: :roflmao:

The good thing is that you can easily note down what to "correct" and then check after maybe 10 laps if the data shows improvement.

I had the luck to have two very fast friends so whenever I needed a benchmark lap to correct my driving, I got it within a few days. This was in 2017/18 and I don't really practice since then and I am always able to have fun either at the upper midfield or towards the back but definitely always fast enough to battle with some others :)

ACTI is pretty easy: Just follow the instructions. In the end it comes down to a little program that runs in the background (and you need to change the folder-path to Assetto in its config file) and an AC app that you put into the standard apps folder.
That app has another config file where you set the path to the ACTI folder.

That's basically it! Go on track, open the ACTI Trigger Control app and hit "connect" and you'll record data!

About car LEDs: download the sidekick hud app. It will show you TWO shift indicators.
You need to go on the drag strip with your car of choice, then roll slowly in 1st gear, accelerate into the rev limiter, shift up, brake until you're at low rpm for that gear and accelerate into the rev limiter again.
You need to go all the way down to idle rpm but definitely below any cockpit LED comes on.

Sidekick will read the torque output from the car physics and calculate the optimum shifting point!

Then you'll have two shifting indicators. First for optimum shifting point, second when going close to the rev limiter. In most race cars it's one and the same but with the Ferrari GT3 for examples, the points are miles apart!
"complete crap" :roflmao: - Niki Lauda could not have said it better!

On the serious side - wilco - this is real friendship :) thank you.

PS I am installing now.

I was quite competitive at T12, at least when following those I was around, I basically allowed the car to flow in an arc
controlling it when I had to with the brakes. I managed to maintain the same gap in as out. Even considering the Nissan
has not the best traction, by the end of the straight usually manage to grab a couple of tenths.:)

PS, come to think of it, it was one of very few places the big old girl was competitive at this circuit.:roflmao::roflmao:

Well then now I know that I was lucky to finish (after three trips to the pits, one to obey the blue flag, and a free gift of a 130 litres of fuel onboard, but ... with brand new tyres - because every cloud has a silver lining you know ? :roflmao:) in one piece.

For me T12 was where I ran wide every time in the race, in fact if anyone is interested I found a new elegant way to get lapped : take the "Patron" driveway as you exit T12, great place to let people by. I don't know what I was doing :roflmao: :roflmao: except trying to hang in there for dear life .... That said, I loved every minute and was really happy with what I achieved and learned. But obviously I want to compete better (in a respectful way) and am willing to work hard to learn how to.

Well then now I know that I was lucky to finish (after three trips to the pits, one to obey the blue flag, and a free gift of a 130 litres of fuel onboard, but ... with brand new tyres - because every cloud has a silver lining you know ? :roflmao:) in one piece.

For me T12 was where I ran wide every time in the race, in fact if anyone is interested I found a new elegant way to get lapped : take the "Patron" driveway as you exit T12, great place to let people by. I don't know what I was doing :roflmao: :roflmao: except trying to hang in there for dear life .... That said, I loved every minute and was really happy with what I achieved and learned. But obviously I want to compete better (in a respectful way) and am willing to work hard to learn how to.
I had a short look into the replay Frank provided.
It may be some lag or quality issue since you were a bit "rough" in general regarding the physics but:

- What steering degrees are you using? What do you set in the wheel software (which wheel btw) and what in Assetto?
It looks for me like you're waving left and right, which happens to me when I'm using too low rotation!

Hi Dmitry!

Thank you for taking an interest - Because I didn't have the delta watch that Chris told me about today at Monza, I was doing it manually as was driving around.

Let me explain - at every corner exit I have a habit of looking at the stopwatch on the dash and noting what time it is. Sort of like a manual telemetry to tell me if the lap is any good or not.

So at the exit of the first Variante a good exit time is 18/19 seconds. A good exit time at the second Variante is a 43/44 second time. A good exit at the last Lesmo is at 60/61 seconds, 84 seconds at the exit of Ascari and then 104 seconds exiting parabolica.

So I was carrying on like this and I really needed a set up that day because I had 24 hours to get sorted. I looked around online and found this gentleman:

and saw that my times were not very different to his at the first Variante but at the exit of the second he was 2 seconds up on me and then 2 seconds again at the Ascari exit. So I concluded that I was 2 seconds off because of Variante Alto where to be honest, I was exiting as if I were on a shopping trip on Saturday morning. Now perhaps there is some error in my judgement but I usually find this measure to be quite accurate (I used to play GP2 and I used to do it there to check how I was doing over a lap, and the key to a good time in GP2 at Monza was to go flat as soon as you rotated around the first apex at Variante Alto). That is why I think my main problem is at Variante Alto because I could match this driver's braking and exits everywhere else (I mean almost).
The only thing is this guy you found is almost a second and a half off the WR laptime I linked. Also, the video is from early 2017, I believe there could've been some physics changes after that.

The only thing is this guy you found is almost a second and a half off the WR laptime I linked. Also, the video is from early 2017, I believe there could've been some physics changes after that.

Ah right, I found this video the night before the Monxa race Dmitry, I didn't know what the WR is - If memory serves, he does say that he could have pushed the setup into the 1 min 47's. And people were doing his times on the practice server.

Plus you know if I am at 1 min 51 seconds and he is at 1 min 48 seconds for me it is still a massive improvement to aim for. I can't pretend to think about WR times when I can't even drive or feel the car basically - and to dare to compare to your levels would be just arrogant on my part.

That said tt is pretty desperate stuff when you are trying to just survive a first race in this kind of field with what you have in your kit bag, while time is running out to the starting flag, so you try to learn from anything and anywhere. Besides this was all I had that day - and I did not know anyone here and I don't want to disturb people, so it was the best information at the time. I was able to use his setup to go faster - it gave me an anchor.

On the physics side - that is super interesting: AC is such a massive sim, just fantastic ...

Ah right, I found this video the night before the Monxa race Dmitry, I didn't know what the WR is - If memory serves, he does say that he could have pushed the setup into the 1 min 47's. And people were doing his times on the practice server.

Plus you know if I am at 1 min 51 seconds and he is at 1 min 48 seconds for me it is still a massive improvement to aim for. I can't pretend to think about WR times when I can't even drive or feel the car basically - and to dare to compare to your levels would be just arrogant on my part.

That said tt is pretty desperate stuff when you are trying to just survive a first race in this kind of field with what you have in your kit bag, while time is running out to the starting flag, so you try to learn from anything and anywhere. Besides this was all I had that day - and I did not know anyone here and I don't want to disturb people, so it was the best information at the time. I was able to use his setup to go faster - it gave me an anchor.

On the physics side - that is super interesting: AC is such a massive sim, just fantastic ...
Just to put this into relation:

This was my first race at Monza (my 8th race I think overall). A lot easier than a GT3 :p

Since then I races about 5x at Monza in different cars. And still my best lap with the Ferrari was only a low 1:49...

It takes time to build speed. A lot of time. Look at it like learning an instrument. You don't just grab a guitar and play song! :barefoot:

I had a short look into the replay Frank provided.
It may be some lag or quality issue since you were a bit "rough" in general regarding the physics but:

- What steering degrees are you using? What do you set in the wheel software (which wheel btw) and what in Assetto?
It looks for me like you're waving left and right, which happens to me when I'm using too low rotation!

Cheers Rasmus,

I have a G25 and it is set to 360 degrees outside and inside with 7% speed reduction. Yes there was lots of lag - it was not the 150 fps I usually get in solo practice. I don't know if that makes a difference.

I can say was that this mornings laptime was about 1 sec faster because I changed the gear shifts and the lines to Chris's ones - so I think I was just crap and suffering from nerves and a bad case of the "weight transfer". For example the esses depend heavily on the timing of your turns: on a perfect lap I could get them flat out - but in the race so MUCH was happening and I don't have enough experience to move offline and snap into rhythm again yet.

Last edited:
Just to put this into relation:

This was my first race at Monza (my 8th race I think overall). A lot easier than a GT3 :p

Since then I races about 5x at Monza in different cars. And still my best lap with the Ferrari was only a low 1:49...

It takes time to build speed. A lot of time. Look at it like learning an instrument. You don't just grab a guitar and play song! :barefoot:

OMG :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: "Is anyone going to the finish line" ....

On the serious side : understood - I will be more patient, and thank you for sharing.

Last edited:
I have a G25 and it is set to 360 degrees outside and inside with 7% speed reduction. Yes there was lots of lag - it was not the 150 fps I usually get in solo practice. I don't know if that makes a difference.
Ehh.. Uww... Urghs?! :speechless:

I know some people might use something different but I would really really really recommend to to set the profiler to 900 degrees, set assetto to 900 degrees, speed reduction to 0%.
Then follow my LUT guide to replace the notchy default minimum force with a curve (my LUTs don't do anything else, they don't change the ffb shape or anything).

And then we can get you faster!

The cars won't always use the set 900 degrees! Instead assetto will use the part of the 900 that's real for the cars in reality.
So gt3s will mostly be around 540 degrees. After that you'll see that the visual wheel will stop moving and the ffb becomes a bit dull.
But apart from when crashing/spinning, you won't hit that point anyway.

So with this you will have the same steering the drivers in real life are using.
I'd say there's a reason why the built the cars like they are :p

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe that you could lose 2 seconds in a single chicane. Or did you mean that you were 2 seconds down for the laptime after Variante II? That's quite possible, there're two chicanes and a long speed section between them, so if your exit from T1 is too bad, you can lose quite a bit.
Here's a GT-R @ Monza WR lap I found (sadly not mine, as I suck at driving The Bus) and it also has a link to the setup in the description. You can try it and then compare and see where you're losing time and how much

Fantastic lap isn't it ? He is 5 secs up on me at the Ascari exit. At the Variante Alto he is 2+ seconds or so, at the Variante Basso he is 1 sec faster than me. Through the Lesmos he is blistering.

I will get the setup and try it - thank you so much for sending the video :)

Ehh.. Uww... Urghs?! :speechless:

I know some people might use something different but I would really really really recommend to to set the profiler to 900 degrees, set assetto to 900 degrees, speed reduction to 0%.
Then follow my LUT guide to replace the notchy default minimum force with a curve (my LUTs don't do anything else, they don't change the ffb shape or anything).

And then we can get you faster!

The cars won't always use the set 900 degrees! Instead assetto will use the part of the 900 that's real for the cars in reality.
So gt3s will mostly be around 540 degrees. After that you'll see that the visual wheel will stop moving and the ffb becomes a bit dull.
But apart from when crashing/spinning, you won't hit that point anyway.

So with this you will have the same steering the drivers in real life are using.
I'd say there's a reason why the built the cars like they are :p
Ahhh I didn't know mate - I just finished setting up telemetry, now I'll sort the wheel settings.
Is the LUT some sort of FFB parameterisation curve ? And where can I find the guide Rasmus please?

Hi Frank, I'd be most grateful to have an opportunity to learn mate. It is so generous of you - maybe we can get together for the upcoming (Sunday) race ?

I'm on daily. It doesn't look like we have a race set for Sunday yet. I check the practice server occasionally when we do. You can message me here and tell me when you're on if you like. It looks like you've got a lot of help already!

I'm on daily. It doesn't look like we have a race set for Sunday yet. I check the practice server occasionally when we do. You can message me here and tell me when you're on if you like. It looks like you've got a lot of help already!
Cheers Frank, yes indeed I do seem to have made lots of generous new friends :)

Ahhh I didn't know mate - I just finished setting up telemetry, now I'll sort the wheel settings.
Is the LUT some sort of FFB parameterisation curve ? And where can I find the guide Rasmus please?

Should we derail it further or start a PM? :roflmao:
The guide is in my downloads:

It's a bit old and after editing for the thousands time, I stopped..
Some phrases here, some new screenshots there.. I'm still looking for the same profiler screenshot in English, if you could be bothered :p
And I should put in some Content Manager screenshots too I guess... (Sadly can't, don't have the G27 anymore).

What the LUTs do in short:
g27_ac_howffbwouldalternated-jpg.185553

The idea comes from project cars 1 where you had 2 settings:
- deadzone removal (basically like min force)
- deadzone removal falloff (cutting off the ffb smoothly at the very center)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.