AC GT3 @ VIR - Sunday 14th February 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
@jackdyson31

Forgive this slightly off-topic, obvious waffle.

Sim racing is complex, you can achieve a lot with careful planning and knowledge to bridge the gap.

But with these fast drivers, like Chris, Demitry, ( felt guilty, thought I would add all our most recent aliens too, Asku, Axel, Patrick, Reik, Enzo they all deserve a mention ) etc, there is no way of explaining it in words, they usually have that something going on in their heads, that gives them an edge. ( Rotters )

Rasmus taught me that with the right tools and effort you can go much quicker.

But you will always, mostly, struggle against the naturally faster drivers.
There is that point where you just cannot, or want to put that much effort into every race.

I have been lucky to have had my experiences in this sport next to John, Patrick, George, Robert, Raresch, and many others, who were always naturally faster, eventually I cottoned on, I was doing two things wrong.

Not running the edge of grip the tyres can provide (mph), giving up speed gained too easily.

I now with that in my "wee" skull, use that, and that alone to approach every event, I don’t practice much, I don’t need to anymore because I can quite clearly see my own deficiencies.

When racing against my old adversaries, I can see clearly what they are doing and what I am not, try as I may, bridging that gap is difficult for me, luckily, occasionally I get it, and can be quite competitive.

The above, are statements that are trying to convey an understanding,

Not a lesson in trail braking, the right racing line, use of accelerator and brake control, setups and the understanding of how each aspect affects the car, and many other important aspects of sim racing.

Some give up if gains are not gained quickly, it takes time to get everything in place, there is a lot to learn in this complex sport, a lot to get straight in your head. Personally, I have found it the most rewarding thing I have ever undertaken. ( you mainly do it in isolation, that is why it also can be difficult )

I am unfortunately not a natural, and that is what makes it so rewarding. :)

Really sorry for the, what is probably pointless waffle.

Hope it does not sound too me, me, me, but I am all I have. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

PS, always very consistent, my best lap for Monza was a 1:53:00.:unsure:

Last edited:
Gonna go to bed now. Report back when everything is set up! Curious about your reaction to the new driving experience haha.

You will have to turn about 2x as much as before though, don't wonder. But rest assured, you're simply steering like the real drivers do, instead of only having to turn 0.5x as much.
Morning ! I had already succumbed by the time you wrote this Rasmus - Nonetheless I thought about everything you and everyone else taught me all night. I did try the Nissan before sleeping with your wheel set to 900 : it drives like a different car - it feels natural now as opposed to being off rhythm like it was at 360 degrees - as you said they designed it like that for a reason. I am still working on setting up the PC : promise to report back.

Morning ! I had already succumbed by the time you wrote this Rasmus - Nonetheless I thought about everything you and everyone else taught me all night. I did try the Nissan before sleeping with your wheel set to 900 : it drives like a different car - it feels natural now as opposed to being off rhythm like it was at 360 degrees - as you said they designed it like that for a reason. I am still working on setting up the PC : promise to report back.
Don't forget to correct the degrees in content manager to 900 instead of your 980 :roflmao: :D

@jackdyson31

Forgive this slightly off-topic, obvious waffle.

Sim racing is complex, you can achieve a lot with careful planning and knowledge to bridge the gap.

But with these fast drivers, like Chris, Demitry, etc, there is no way of explaining it in words, they usually have that something going on in their heads, that gives them an edge. ( Rotters )

Rasmus taught me that with the right tools and effort you can go much quicker.

But you will always, mostly, struggle against the naturally faster drivers.
There is that point where you just cannot, or want to put that much effort into every race.

I have been lucky to have had my experiences in this sport next to John, Patrick, George, Robert, Raresch, and many others, who were always naturally faster, eventually I cottoned on, I was doing two things wrong.

Not running the edge of grip the tyres can provide (mph), giving up speed gained too easily.

I now with that in my "wee" skull, use that, and that alone to approach every event, I don’t practice much, I don’t need to anymore because I can quite clearly see my own deficiencies.

When racing against my old adversaries, I can see clearly what they are doing and what I am not, try as I may, bridging that gap is difficult for me, luckily, occasionally I get it, and can be quite competitive.

The above, are statements that are trying to convey an understanding,

Not a lesson in trail braking, the right racing line, use of accelerator and brake control, setups and the understanding of how each aspect affects the car, and many other important aspects of sim racing.

Some give up if gains are not gained quickly, it takes time to get everything in place, there is a lot to learn in this complex sport, a lot to get straight in your head. Personally, I have found it the most rewarding thing I have ever undertaken. ( you mainly do it in isolation, that is why it also can be difficult )

I am unfortunately not a natural, and that is what makes it so rewarding. :)

Really sorry for the, what is probably pointless waffle.

Hope it does not sound too me, me, me, but I am all I have. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

PS, always very consistent, my best lap for Monza was a 1:53:00.:unsure:
Dear Ernie,

Thank you for sharing such an honest and deeply felt set of experiences.

It is in no way waffle, if one were to nominate it, I would say it is a reflection of the decency and commitment of this entire community at RD/AC racing to our sport and the deep felt desire of every racer to taste the glory of driving at their limit.

I shall endeavour to write something by way of my own thoughts upon the matter:

Sim racing like all forms of competition is an art at maximising performance - if it were not complicated and hard there would be no point in doing it.

You are right however, there comes a point where logic cannot explain performance. Take Mika Hakinnen or Senna driving faster than the physics simulation limits for example. It is a human quality - but it is limited. And that brings me to something you said that is of unique instructional value :

a)
"Not running the edge of grip the tyres can provide (mph), giving up speed gained too easily"

That is opportunism and talent all in one dance. There are those who dance to go through the motions and there are those who dance because something inside them propels them to move quickly. The first is taught and the second is what you are.

So these drivers are fast because in a sense they embody speed and dynamism in their characters.

b)
"Some give up if gains are not gained quickly"

I find this to be very true. At 10 years of age I was cheering Alain Prost across the line when he fought with his McLaren/Porsche I think it was. When I was 24, disillusioned with physics, I bought Crammonds GP2 on the off chance - I still recall clearly when it booted the first time on a DX/4 intel, Matrox graphics and 16 Mb of RAM. I knew life had changed forever - I was not fortunate to have any backers as a kid, so it was the new and only way I could learn to drive a race car. I knew sim racing was my great advantage into the sport, even back then. People thought these were games but I saw beyond them. And victories and little lap records at the local kart circuit followed in that first year. Life intervened, but the passion never died and I found myself racing dinghies, little yachts and road bikes with little flashes of success here and there. GPL came out and I wanted to beat Greger Huttu (got to within 0.5 secs of him on lots of tracks) and then life intervened again up until two months ago. I sincerely hope life has gone away now and my little sim rig is here to stay so that I can do this properly and see how far I can go. Whatever I have done in life, I have always found myself racing something, somewhere, against someone :roflmao:. It is my nature.

"I am unfortunately not a natural"

you are - because you keep doing it.

I want to apologise for any waffling of my own, and to thank you for both a) and b) - the first of which I really needed to understand and the second for reminding me of what it takes. The two taken together clearly hint that this is going to take quite some time to get "right".

:)

Last edited:
Didn't read the birthday part.. Happy Birthday then! :)

View attachment 445835

This one would be sweet :)
Would feel a bit stupid to upload this screenshot with big fat Fanatec in the steering box :whistling:

Since these are the settings that I would recommend anyway, here's the second part of the screenshot I'm going to upload. No brand in there so no need for you to screenshot it :)

View attachment 445836

And finally if you're using Custom Shaders Patch, I would recommend to use these FFB Tweaks:

View attachment 445837

There's a bug with CM though and I have no idea why:
After going on track and going back into CM, the selected LUT may reset to what was used before...
Or it will after you went on track, closed CM and launch CM again.

For me it worked to set everything up, then go on track via the default Assetto Launcher and then launch CM again.
It also might have something to do with this:
View attachment 445838

Sadly setting the ini to "read only" will cause a crash to desktop...
Rasmus,

I don't have the FFB Tweaks option in Content Manager. Any idea?

@RasmusP

The LUTs are done as per your instructions (and I drove a couple of laps to give you some feedback) : my initial impressions

a) I can feel the rear wheels now and can correct the RS slide before it happens or otherwise allow it to slide eg T3
b) The curbs are magnificent - just wonderful to drive over
c) I can brake later because I know when I am about to lose the rear, I feel the brakes and the front slide through WT
d) The FFB is butter smooth and communicates in time with the car's movements - I know what the car is saying to me!
e) The car steers where I want it to go, not like 0.5 seconds later
f) The car is easily flat out in 6th in the esses (5th was difficult in the esses there on Sunday)

Combined with the CSP/SOL it all feels so real :confused:

here is the proof:

1613484674297.png

Sunday best was 1:52.7 - I did not touch the setup, I drove it like Chris did (not as good as him obviously :roflmao:) and I know that I still don't have good reference markers for a few of the important turns like T11/12, T10, the one before NASCAR bend. I am sure therefore the late 1:49's are possible with this setup.

Big hug.

Last edited:
That is a good point-braking????

markers, never have apart from the odd occasion figured that one out. Even with max setting for track objects, still have to guess most of my braking points every lap.
Have to keep it in my head, which is really problem when I am on a different approach line.
I when necessary look for the tyre marks for corner approach, must have something to do with the lack of detail available from a simulated track.

Tried that braking App, did not get along with that, maybe I should have given it more time. :unsure:

That is a good point-braking????

markers, never have apart from the odd occasion figured that one out. Even with max setting for track objects, still have to guess most of my braking points every lap.
Have to keep it in my head, which is really problem when I am on a different approach line.
I when necessary look for the tyre marks for corner approach, must have something to do with the lack of detail available from a simulated track.

Tried that braking App, did not get along with that, maybe I should have given it more time. :unsure:

Often I use a memory of the picture as a braking marker - so like I will know from "eye memory" roughly where to slow, or I will know from the noise the car is making to start braking. At other times I use the actual boards on the turn approaches or even a bump in the road (I learned this recently).

At other times still, I know that if the car is starting to break away then I really need to brake soon, especially when I don't know the track.

All this is nice for hot-lapping but when you are racing it is your skill that is better: consistency. Therefore to drive say like a true quick man lap after lap you need exact braking markers on the track.

When I consolidate a track I will check the video, I will know from experience where I should brake to get the car to do a certain thing - say slide into the turn, and I will find something in the scene that does not change ever and remember it. Then I do that for every corner. Now I go back out and just cruise around learning to spot that sequence. After a few laps a rhythm forms and you know what's coming at every turn before it does so to speak.

When I get to that stage I start going faster to reprogram the new braking points as I have defined them.

I think when you are on a different approach line you have to quickly look for other details are which tell you where that marker is by second order reference - this reorients you quickly. It is a bit like navigating by stars: if you know a star that knows a star :roflmao: ...

I hope that is of some use? That is how I tend to do it. I learned these things gradually of course (in GP2).

Last edited:
@RasmusP

The LUTs are done as per your instructions (and I drove a couple of laps to give you some feedback) : my initial impressions

a) I can feel the rear wheels now and can correct the RS slide before it happens or otherwise allow it to slide eg T3
b) The curbs are magnificent - just wonderful to drive over
c) I can brake later because I know when I am about to lose the rear, I feel the brakes and the front slide through WT
d) The FFB is butter smooth and communicates in time with the car's movements - I know what the car is saying to me!
e) The car steers where I want it to go, not like 0.5 seconds later
f) The car is easily flat out in 6th in the esses (5th was difficult in the esses there on Sunday)

Combined with the CSP/SOL it all feels so real :confused:

here is the proof:

View attachment 445931

Sunday best was 1:52.7 - I did not touch the setup, I drove it like Chris did (not as good as him obviously :roflmao:) and I know that I still don't have good reference markers for a few of the important turns like T11/12, T10, the one before NASCAR bend. I am sure therefore the late 1:49's are possible with this setup.

Big hug.
Very nice!

Now go get some laps at red bull ring in and record via acti so we can give you a first little boost for Sunday! :D

It's not listed here! I have CSP version 1.46.

View attachment 445969
Yep it came with a later update. It's kinda fresh!
What wheel are you using again?
If you're using a Logitech wheel you don't need to bother, effect is minimal.

If you have a t300 or better, it's awesome though!

https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/read-more-ffb-tweaks.181245/

I didn't see any difference updating until the very current version, which changes the shading in the cockpit, which I absolutely dislike...

I'd still give it a go. Maybe you feel a difference!

The normal gyro from AC wasn't really great. It tried to simulate that the front tyres want to keep pointing at their current direction when they are sped up.
But it has flaws according to the author of the ffb tweaks. Apparently this standard gyro always points in the same direction so you just get a damping effect when going faster.

The gyro from the ffb tweaks is actually always dependent on the direction of the front tyres so it helps with correcting slides. Instead of just dampening everything at higher speeds, it pushes the wheel into opposite lock (keeping the front tyres pointing straight, when the chassis rotates around the front tyres) and then dampens that position.

For me it's easier to catch slides with it but with the g27 you might not really feel the effect.
But it won't hurt, that's for sure! :)

I would try it as well mate - the G27 is a great wheel imo

I have 0.1.73-preview1 from Ilja's patreon which has the new wet physics options and love it.

I have the saturation set at 50% and filter set to SOL_extras and graphics options maxed out. It is like looking outside the window.

Last edited:

The normal gyro from AC wasn't really great. It tried to simulate that the front tyres want to keep pointing at their current direction when they are sped up.
But it has flaws according to the author of the ffb tweaks. Apparently this standard gyro always points in the same direction so you just get a damping effect when going faster.

The gyro from the ffb tweaks is actually always dependent on the direction of the front tyres so it helps with correcting slides. Instead of just dampening everything at higher speeds, it pushes the wheel into opposite lock (keeping the front tyres pointing straight, when the chassis rotates around the front tyres) and then dampens that position.

For me it's easier to catch slides with it but with the g27 you might not really feel the effect.

" (keeping the front tyres pointing straight, when the chassis rotates around the front tyres) "

You do feel aero load and I definitely get this inertia effect on my G25 under hard braking in T1 Rasmus, I also get an excellent definition of wheel lock and pneumatic range on the front and rears on the exit of T1. I forgot to set the brake gamma to 1.55 and then you really feel the chassis swing into the front wheels when the rears lock at places like T1 ....

Last edited:

Rasmus, thanks for yourhelp. I also see that you checked the 'unlock experimental options'. What does that do?
And another questions: you didn't check the 'enhanced understeer effect'. What does that do and why don't you use it?

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.