Yes indeed Kenny. Big boxes, discs, a manual, posters etc. Those were the best days of computer gaming. :thumbsup:

I have a copy of Jane's Apache AH-64D simulator upstairs. Talk about a "complete" game; you could map out an entire career on that thing if you wanted to. It came with an encyclopaedia called a "manual", and (wait for it) the good old keyboard overlay (as you could never remember the 14 key presses to launch the missiles!). Stunning levels of detail though without being very tough to master.

http://www.old-games.com/download/6040/jane-s-ah-64d-longbow

I also had the sequel but it was designed for 3DFX cards and it won't work on any modern hardware at all (unless someone found a hack to get round it). Thankfully that isn't an issue with the likes of GPL.

I have a copy of Jane's Apache AH-64D simulator upstairs. Talk about a "complete" game; you could map out an entire career on that thing if you wanted to. It came with an encyclopaedia called a "manual", and (wait for it) the good old keyboard overlay (as you could never remember the 14 key presses to launch the missiles!). Stunning levels of detail though without being very tough to master.
Brilliant stuff eh Andrew? When I say I am a veteran PC gamer I mean it. I still have all my PC games ever purchased and here are just the flight sims:
MF44h1Z.jpg

F41VWLN.jpg

H9p9eo5.jpg

ev21HN7.jpg

o8zQ87V.jpg

Seems like an eternity the full version been in the works, checked out Jim's youtube page a few days ago n was sad too see the last updates was some years ago, great too see this but wondering how many more years before we get to the download button :)

Andy, an amazing collection you got there ! Three thumbs up !!!
I think I only don't know what is that:O_o: "Intruder" game. I've always had a soft spot for carrier based planes (yup, Top Gun:D) and most of the titles there I've had or at least have heard of but not for that one.
Also, you had "European Air War" by any chance ? :)
That was one a total blast game. Career there was over the board immersive...:inlove: omg when I remember...

To not being accused for being off topic... :rolleyes:
I remember the time when my PC wasn't exactly powerful enough for this game. Oh Lord... :laugh:
And the physic there... how to describe it to someone who hasn't tried it ?
Yeah, you just can't. Just staying of track, do a clean lap, too low default suspension, realistic damage, damn tough AI, steering with your throttle and all that stuff you don't really have to worry about on many (all?) of the GPL successors.

Without a doubt GPL physic has never been repeated on any other racing game.
And no other game wasn't this hard to drive, or even worst ...to be good at it.
Papyrus has done it. Also great games as Indycar Racing II, NASCAR 4,...
Sadly they had to fold. Realistic games aren't as popular as arcades.

Last edited:
Andy, an amazing collection you got there ! Three thumbs up !!!
I think I only don't know what is that:O_o: "Intruder" game. I've always had a soft spot for carrier based planes (yup, Top Gun:D) and most of the titles there I've had or at least have heard of but not for that one.
Also, you had "European Air War" by any chance ? :)
That was one a total blast game. Career there was over the board immersive...:inlove: omg when I remember...

Unfortunately I can't see or appreciate likes and love emoji's but thanks for those. (I have been reported for using too many of them so I am banned from using them as harmless as they are.:notworthy::() A childish thing to disable if you ask me. There are far more worse members on here saying far worse things. Even non paying members can like a post.

As for European Air War, yes it's there 3rd photo from the bottom. Flight of the Intruder was one of my favourites. I have two versions, one for the Amiga and the PC version, both big boxed and both have the free Flight of the Intruder Novel included by Dale Brown. Brilliant sim based on the book about carrier operations in the Vietnam War.

Last edited:
Hey the Microprose titles! They were bloody brilliant! :):thumbsup::inlove:
Certainly were Andrew. Loved them especially F117 and F-19. My favourite all time air combat sim was F-16 Combat Pilot by Digital Intergration. That was absolute quality.
PS, staff, sorry for taking this off topic, please don't punish me again. :unsure:

Ok Andy, thanks. Didn't know that actual title is "Flight of Intruder". Interesting. And there's even a book. And a movie ! Wow... so many things to catch up.
Unfortunately I can't see or appreciate likes and love emoji's but thanks for those. (I have been reported for using too many of them so I am banned from using them as harmless as they are.:notworthy::()
What a.... :confused:
Never heard of something like that ! Banned on ...smileys(TM) ?
That must be a totaly new term on internet or what. And you're afraid they'll punish you again you say ?!? :O_o: Really... I thougth I'm among those least favorites:laugh: but look at that... not even gone premium saves you. Weird.
I though you have specifical numbers of those you can use in one post and if you go over that nuber you can't post a message. What's then there to be punished for ?
:rolleyes::sneaky::sick::unsure::alien: testing testing. Yup, eight is allowed. :giggle: Even nine. :x3: Ok, ten.... XD

I was thinking that a full sized isle of man was impossible due to engine limitation. Obviously I was wrong and I'm very happy to be wrong. Jim makes an unbelievable work. Kudos to him.
GPL has been on my drive since 1998, old time where copying the full folder is enough to install it on a new drive. And with all the mods added, I'm happy that it's so simple.
But honestly, I start assetto corsa more often than this old glory.

Some crap in their own nest, fact is more rips of IOM Jim sees the less likely he will ever release full road for public use.

There was only ever 1 IOM abridged version got permission and that was for a Nascar 2003 league
They were supposed to keep it private and show him the work before release, in their wisdom they
never did either !

Jim bagged the conversion as graphically poor and said he would have never allowed it to be released in it's current form and that he would not allow another because he could not trust people to do the right thing

Looks quite good for the that old ims. Would be even better if he would include some shadows, i know the engine can hardly handle it. But some fake shadows would make everything stand out much more.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.