Richard WIlks and the guys at HSO did a phenomenal job of revitalizing this mod for rFactor. The visuals are obviously dated but the physics are incredible and it's one of the few mods that depicts wheelspin accurately in high horsepower cars.

Gpl was the first with the Nordschleife ( nurburgring) the whole ambiance from racing in the 60's.. ..... and every car feels different. Lotus.. brabham.. cooper... eagle..ferrari..honda.. brm.. You want to learn everything about this cars. A lot of days I spend on this game. I feel love from that days :thumbsup:

I spend many years racing Grand Prix legends online with leagues.
Fantastic time, but to much time required. I don't race much online anymore
I will never forget some fantastic races with 33-56k modem at the very beginning.

What have been done during all these years by modders is just unbelievable. I am always in love with the graphics and the sensation of this game
Spa 67 or Monaco Rocks @60fps on a nice config is something that has about no counterpart in the simracing world in my opinion. There is for sure better graphics available around, but the all package is incredible
Grand prix legends and its mods remains something special to me.

once I found out a more realistic diff-setting, GPL was an absolute blast. #1 for me in hours raced, my favourite was the 1965 mod, full season 100% distance, pushing like crazy to maintain myself in the midfield at east london, winning in monaco, ahh the memories.

I think it was Jackie Stewart who said GPL was actually much harder than the real thing. This was how the myth of "harder equals more realistic" came into being. I've never played it, but I hope there are good physics mods available.

I think the Jackie Stewart feedback is a myth. There was never any evidence he ever tried GPL and it seems very unlikely. Nevertheless the mods are typically easier to drive.

A big part of the "shock" of GPLs difficulty was I suspect most people were brought up on Crammonds GP2 where you corner at 4g and brake at the 100m board, while in GPL you corner at 1.3g and brake at the 300m board. The other issue was the Lotus 49 was the "obvious" car to choose but it was the most difficult to drive. Cars like the Cooper and Eagle were much more forgiving. And finally few people had wheels back in 1998. I know I drove with a joystick until late 2000.

There were a number of myths about GPL circulating in the community back in the day. As well as the Jackie Stewart story there was the myth that GPL only sold 7000 copies. Later Papyrus revealed it actually sold 200,000 copies.

Yeah, link for rF1-version would be nice. I'm too lazy to start installing gpl again after many years, I have cd and all but work needed is just too much. I still have few rF1-installs on my computer so addind Can Am to them would be easy. Found HSO's page but didn't find anything about Can Am.

correct, and like I mentioned, the stock car setups were just awful, impossible to go fast without overdriving the car. the limited slip differential modeling was fantastic though (for its time), and once you found out how to set up for proper trail-braking the feel of the cars was very predictive. The AI was wonderful too by the way.

Not too sure about Jacky Stewart but I saw a video of him looking at the Montjuich track in GPL, and I recall Nigel Mansell having a go as well.

For impressions on GPL for anyone who missed it, this video series is still pretty cool:

Last edited:
Even though I'm a big fan of all type open wheel cars I have lately really started to enjoy some of the classic cars.
Is there a link for the Rfactor mod?
Am sure others would be interested too.

I could not resist. (sorry if it is not exactly related to can am 1971)
A lap on the tack I have designed at that time with my friend Jackseller from F1legends.net , in memory of our friend Jops who passed away in 2005 at only 40 years old (rank -83 for the people who know what it means). I will never forget him.

(I have made the layout, placement of objects etc... ; Jackseller has made all the graphical things, textures , .....Jackseller is in my opinion the best moder of Grand prix legends. What he has made for years at F1legends.net after Jops died is just incredible.)

The track exists also for GRT2, GTL, Rfactor, ....
Conversion by Neel Jani

I think it was Jackie Stewart who said GPL was actually much harder than the real thing. This was how the myth of "harder equals more realistic" came into being. I've never played it, but I hope there are good physics mods available.
Once I learned how to drive the cars, I found out that the cars weren't difficult to drive. It's difficult to go fast, it always is (if it was easy, everybody would do it), but they aren't that difficult to drive. GPL difficult to drive is another myth.

This is why I play sim racing games, and also why I do think that modding is ESSENTIAL to any PC game that wants to be succesful. Not everyone wants to race with the same F1 or GT3 cars over and over. Variety is important.
Believe me i know someone who's been playing F1 for years, buying the new one each year, but it's his thing i guess.

Oh I certainly remember my GPL days ..I could hardly believe the graphics and then my first drive..physics were just superb.

I never actually got this mod at the time, I may even re-install GPL just to try it .. thanks leon_90 for bringing this mod to our attention :thumbsup:

Yeah, link for rF1-version would be nice. I'm too lazy to start installing gpl again after many years, I have cd and all but work needed is just too much. I still have few rF1-installs on my computer so addind Can Am to them would be easy. Found HSO's page but didn't find anything about Can Am.

Are you sure?

Second thread under HSO Championships, mod main download is in the "rules" thread, but you'll need to be logged in to download I believe.

The "harder than real life" quote comes from David Kaemmer and is printed in the game manual.

Driving a 1967 GP car is more difficult than driving just about anything else, and the simulation is more difficult than driving a real car. The above tips will help you come to terms with the ’67 GP car, but getting used to the simulation will just take time. Many people think that it feels like driving on ice. That is an apt description; in a real car, there is so little grip on ice that the G-forces acting on the driver are very small-which is just like the simulator.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 41 85.4%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 15 31.3%