GPL Isle of Man TT Mod 1.png GPL Isle of Man TT Mod 2.png GPL Isle of Man TT Mod 3.png GPL Isle of Man TT Mod 4.png
Never has the term "Golden Oldie" been more appropriate than for GPL, and it's set to get even better with an incredible looking W.I.P Isle of Man TT mod...

Built by one man modding powerhouse Jim Pearson for the venerable Grand Prix Legends simulation, the work in progress build of the mammoth Isle of Man TT course looks nothing short of exceptional even at this late stage of development, really maximising what is possible for a game that is fast approaching 20 years since its initial public release in 1998.

According to the latest progress video at the head of this article, Jim has reached about 95% completion up to the Sulby section of the circuit, with the remaining parts of the lap still under heavy development and featuring placeholder trackside objects.

Regardless of the age of the sim, or the state of completion with this mod, the upcoming Isle of Man TT Course for Grand Prix Legends is looking incredible and is a testament to both the enduring quality of the simulation, and the dedication of modders such as Jim Pearson who continue to produce outstanding pieces of community made content, even two decades after the game first hit the store shelves all the way back in 1998. Awesome.

Grand Prix Legends is available exclusively on PC.

For more from the world of racing games of different genres don't forget to check out the Other Racing Games sub forum here at RaceDepartment. You will find a vibrant community of fellow racing game enthusiasts to discuss the latest news, rumours and debate from the world of racing games on console and PC.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Do you still enjoy GPL? Looking forward to trying out the Isle of Man TT course in this classic Grand Prix simulation? Let us know in the comments section below!

Now this is a blast from the past! I thought when the Isle of Man (Albridged) was released in 2003 that this was it. Interesting to see this coming up again :)
Not too long since I updated my GPLRank either, still aiming for that -Benchmark, it's all down to Spa and Nürbs for me now!

What a great effort by Jim once again, just shows how strong this community still is 20 years from release.

Guess I'll judge it by it's size.
If it's bigger than my current IofMan folder which is 45,8 MB (48.028.880 bytes) then... it must be improvement. :) Yes, It does look incredible by GPL standards.
But driving a whole IoM with GPL physic and driving it fast without crashing my God... wish I could see that. :D Upload a video if you manage it, somehow. :geek:

• Deleted member 503495

Shift+R, Shift+R, Shift+R, Shift+R, Shift+R, ....

Wow... This game is only ten years younger than the Commodore 64 titles I played when - young. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: - and it still wont quit. Amazing. I need to dust GPL off and re-install it - again. and try this mod when available.
A game that is older than some of the people using it now... can´t really get my head around that - but on the other hand - I still dust off "Maniac Mansion" once in awhile and go through that too, so... The true pearls just don´t die.:):):)

Time to get in the attic and dig out my big box GPL out. It's been years since I used it. Great work on that track though. :thumbsup:

Massive respect to Jim. I know the level of dedication this has taken and the results are magnificent. So many fond memories of GPL and it still looks great for its age. With a modern lighting engine this would be almost holding it's own against titles 20 years younger. Time to reinstall. This deserves to be driven to death.

A true labour or love and a reason we we should all take a moment to appreciate what sim racing community is all about.

Was there a version of this track previously?

I seem to remember downloading a version many years ago. It had the full track but due to limitations within the game it had to be shortened to roughly the same length as the Nords. It was something to do with number or track pieces/grids. Sorry; so long ago I can't remember the finer details.

Like the version featured above though, it must be a labour of love to complete a track this gigantic. Top marks to the creator, looks fantastic.

Like others above, I have my dusty copy of the game on the shelf upstairs. Would never want to sell that on EBay! lol

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea