^ yup, what he said
Grand Prix Legends is unique to every other sim. The reason is in the modding community itself, more than in the software: what they deliver is not only a mod but a full documentary experience. Every race has the list of contendants which attended the real event, and they perform similarly to what they did back in the day. Every car is maniacally detailed. To let you understand, real pictures are extensively used even to reproduce the correct font for the car numbers per race (they were not standardized back then). You get to see the history of motor racing. As I said, is like a documentary, but one you get to actually live and not just watch. Plus you can always use a generic list of entries if you want always the same cars to enter every race. Why you wanna do so? Well because AI learns from it's previous results, and change it's aggressiveness, experience and therefore results depending on how good or bad they are doing in the championship. Just like humans. Plus cars have failures realistic to their real "original" defects. These are all unique to GPL features. Plus no stupid BOP, every car performs how it really performed, every car has it's soul, so that you get to understand that even the underdogs are fun and can have a chance on the big boys sometimes. And you can live this experience for 65/66/67/69 F1 seasons, 66/71 CanAm beasts, 67 WSC, 67 F2 and new one are in store for the future, like Tasman series, more WSC and F1. Each reproducing the particularities of the cars present. So, massive torque 66 CanAm, aerodinamic dependant 71 CanAm with slick tires, prone to failure on long time races WSC cars, "take-me-to-the-edge-and-stay-there" F2 and 65 F1 cars and so on. There is nothing like GPL, and probably never will, for the historic simracer. That's why you should all try it ;) it runs on all OS, including latest Win10 and Linux. The community has prepared a specific installer to make it work on today PCs and will help you whatever issues you may encounter.

Yup, what he said.

I'll confess that with all the modern choices available to us today, I go long stretches without firing up GPL...But it still has a home on my hard drive because, every so often, the itch strikes.

The modding ethos built around GPL is much more typical of what you find in the flight sim world (like "Wings Over Flanders Fields") than what you typically find in the sim racing world.

GPL is the future of simracing! ;):p:D

Well, maybe not.... but there's probably as much new content being developed for GPL now as for one or two modern sims out there today.

There are all in one installers that can be downloaded that give you most of what you need to get started, there are plenty of helpful people at SRMZ.net who can answer questions.

When some people think of GPL they imagine a sim that fits on a couple of 3.5 inch floppy disks and runs at 640 x 480 .... I'm running it at 5760 x 1080 on triples. It's great fun. :thumbsup:

(OK the menus still are low res ;))

Don't think Square Enix is going to bother with RBR, but actually quite surprised that iRacing haven't put out GPL on Steam, would give them money after all...

iRacing don't own the rights to GPL. In this period the rights to games were normally owned by the publisher, in this case Sierra, who sold on the sales rights to Sold Out Software. Dave K had to buy the rights to the NR2003 code.

This mod must hold the record as the mod longest in development. Development started before the 65 mod, so I would estimate 2002 or 2003. I worked for a while on the 55 mod a few years later but problems optimising the cars forced a switch in priorities. It is great that this mod is finally nearing completion. Hopefully I can fix the sound issues I have with GPL.

- and then I spent 3 hours locating my old disc - getting the all-in-one-installer again, installing GPL for the umpteens time, and spinning around Monaco... been a few years, but it still has a very special feeling does GPL. Now I cannot wait for the 1955 mod. Please keep us posted when it´s out Paul. And thanks for the headsup... one more sim on the computer... so frigging short days. :):):)

iRacing don't own the rights to GPL. In this period the rights to games were normally owned by the publisher, in this case Sierra, who sold on the sales rights to Sold Out Software. Dave K had to buy the rights to the NR2003 code.

Hmm, that is not what the correspondence I had with iRacing some years ago ended with. There I was told, with no way to interpret different, that GPL, earlier NASCAR games, IndyCar series, SODA Off-Road etc was under iRacing(FIRST) control.

Don't think Square Enix is going to bother with RBR, but actually quite surprised that iRacing haven't put out GPL on Steam, would give them money after all...

This trailer also got me wanting to install GPL again, but I know when I did it on my old PC, I had it for 3 years without starting it once... But I still have some GPLRank goals to fulfill!
You can download the full vanilla version legally for free. Use the community installer to bring it up to date.
Excitedly waiting for this mod!

I always have GPL in my lap top HDD since it was new. In that era it was an epoch making simulator. I used to play the game. But it has been quite long since I did not do it. Assetto Corsa seems to be playing its role now.

Hmm, that is not what the correspondence I had with iRacing some years ago ended with. There I was told, with no way to interpret different, that GPL, earlier NASCAR games, IndyCar series, SODA Off-Road etc was under iRacing(FIRST) control.

We may be at cross purposes. IRacing may believe their purchase of rights to NR2003 code gives them rights to earlier code, but sales rights are different. Reiza has purchased rights to rFactor code but this doesn't mean they can sell rFactor. The fact that Sold Out Software sold GPL for many years after iRacing was formed supports this.

• Deleted member 130869

I'd say most of it runs through SRMZ.net (Sim Racing Mirror Zone), and there is still strong activity from a faithful core of players. It's been 3ish years since I tried online but I had issues with my setup so I couldn't connect.

Thanks Gui, I will have a look (that 1955 mod and the Can Am mod really interest me + I have to try the Targa Florio track in its original mod version before the good people of Sim Traxx finalize the rebirth of the track on Assetto Corsa).

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 262 13.6%