Good DIY aluminium profile sim rig instructions?

Bez

All the gear, no idea...
are there any go to/tried and tested instructions for DIY projects using aluminium profile, I've found a couple but wondered if there was a definitive design people use.

Edit: or a good premade aluminium profile rig on sale?

Having profiles stacked on top of each other isn't a really handy thing to do with the 45x45 from motedis and their 90 degree small brackets. It has a small lip which runs through the channels in the profile to prevent it from moving side to side. If you stack the profile bars, you'll have to remove the lip to make everything fit. This is a tip I received from someone else and I stick to this while assembling stuff :)

Those joints look good, expensive too :p

Upvote 0
Just thought i saw a mistake in measurements. The length of the pieces in the summary is correct but in the drawing the 590 is not clear. 500 and 590 are written over each other, which was confusing.
Great work my friend.

Upvote 0
Did a quick calculation and privé was around 215€ + shopping included.. Length made 1800 instead of 1600. And stubborn as i am, added 2x680 for the seat.

Dunno if all parts are in the summary.
Pedals bars are?
Wheel base bars are 500mm? Think that is abit too low?
With monitor support i think the price will be around 400€
Sorry for the typos, sent from my mobile.

Edit: i have 6 bars i can not locate, the amount is correct.

4 pieces 45x90X50, are for the pedals base i assume? Extra strong for the pedals? In future upgrading to the Ultimates;)
2 pieces 45X45X40 for the wheelbase. Why not 45x90? and that low?

Maybe a fault?

Good nite:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hmm that still is expensive-ish :p

Wheel base are 45x90x600, pedal base is 2 times the 45x90x400 and 2 times 45x45x400.

If you think it is too low, measure it out ^^ If I raise the pedalmount to the maximum, where you will press the pedals, you are at the same height as the wheel mount is in the drawings. You do have to take the height of the pedals themselves into account :p

Mistake in pdf spotted, thanks :)

Upvote 0
ALU RIG PRICELIST.PNG

2pcs 45x45x200 for the sides of the wheelbase
2pcs 45x45x500 for the wheelbase
2pcs 45x45x400 for the pedalbase
2pcs 45x45x1800 for the rig sides, instead of the 1600. Were cut from a 6000 profile
6pcs 45x45x590 4 of them for the middle of the rig and 2 for the pedalbase
2pcs 45x45x680 not on the pic but to put the seat on
2pcs 45x90x600 side pieces of the wheelbase
2pcs 45x90x400 for the pedalbase

Counted 18 profiles + 2 xtras makes a total of 20.
Angle corners not correct yet and also end cover caps are not yet included.

Hopefully the triple monitor stand can be made for around 130€.
Total cost can be lowered once this is made:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Hmm, we may have established something of a pattern here! I think it is reasonably safe to say that a relatively simple rig, with some extra parts to allow more freedom in movement for some parts, we're looking at around 250 euros. Not the cheapest way to build a rig, but absolutely, definitely, not the most expensive either!

Upvote 0
Agreed. Especially if you look at he engineerings rig . They use more than that cost in aluminum then offer brackets with powdercoat for even more. I think this is cheaper and just as sturdy

Upvote 0
The plans look great and there is a lot to be said for the satisfaction of making your own things even if it is no cheaper than buying something pre-made. I have made my own pedals and button box and am currently working on a shifter just because it is fun to make stuff even if you don't save any money in the process.

Upvote 0
Had a look at the Totalspanishsimulator the height of the wheel base is 650mm.
Also the guys from HE are making a cockpit for their stand @simracing Expo. The base cockpit that William drew is more than enough but more interesting for me and others, they are making a triple 27" monitor stand for alu rig.
The more ideas and thoughts the better.

Upvote 0
Yeah that's the rig I was referring to, the one they built for the eo. I don't know, seems to be a costly add on for nothing some of the bracketry. It's cool and all. I think you could achieve the same thing for cheaper but cool they are making rigs.

Upvote 0
View attachment 104623

2pcs 45x45x200 for the sides of the wheelbase
2pcs 45x45x500 for the wheelbase
2pcs 45x45x400 for the pedalbase
2pcs 45x45x1800 for the rig sides, instead of the 1600. Were cut from a 6000 profile
6pcs 45x45x590 4 of them for the middle of the rig and 2 for the pedalbase
2pcs 45x45x680 not on the pic but to put the seat on
2pcs 45x90x600 side pieces of the wheelbase
2pcs 45x90x400 for the pedalbase

Counted 18 profiles + 2 xtras makes a total of 20.
Angle corners not correct yet and also end cover caps are not yet included.

Hopefully the triple monitor stand can be made for around 130€.
Total cost can be lowered once this is made:thumbsup:

Sorry mate for which design is that part list?

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back