Good DIY aluminium profile sim rig instructions?

Bez

All the gear, no idea...
are there any go to/tried and tested instructions for DIY projects using aluminium profile, I've found a couple but wondered if there was a definitive design people use.

Edit: or a good premade aluminium profile rig on sale?

Thank you sir ;)

Actually, if I take my design, with the intended seats for the intended styles/positions, you should be able to meet 100% of your demands. When this is NOT the case, the design is fundamentally flawed and should be changed without hesitation. Being able to easily and quickly adapt to any wish was one of the main reasons to go with this material in the first place.

This is also the reason we are going to test our plans before ordering anything. Both my brother and me will take measurements with a generic gt and an f1 style seating position. Those measurements are taken into the design software to see if the rig can be set-up to accomodate those wishes. Using the sauber cut away photos we will also check measurements for a seating position with a no compromise proper seat.

We are going to order with www.motedis.de

Upvote 0
That's awesome man! Unfortunately being in Canada, for myself, using motedis and shipping this far will be a bit extreme :(

But happy your rig will meet the same requirements, and offer this option for all of members in Europe who need the same adjustability,

For people in North America I will offer my plans with 80/20 part numbers as this is the standard erector set here and with distributors all over this region shipping will be more realistic.

Extruded aluminum FTW

Upvote 0
Yep it's either 8020 or Bosch I'm afraid, but I'm sure it's all pretty much the same stuff with slight differences (royale with cheese ;) )

edit:
I do think I forgot to include something in the plans. I'm not sure how to go about mounting a heel plate for the pedals at this time.. hmm..

edit2:
I might also propose an alternative way of mounting the seat. This would be more suitable for an F1 styled seat. At this time, the movement of the seat is limited to the position of the steering wheel mounts. The F1 seat, just behind the knees, should exceed the steering wheel mounts. This means a slightly different way of mounting. However, only 2 additional parts are needed to accommodate this. Might be fun to try this out and see if it fits with a normal seat as well. I don't know if I'm going that route personally (not any time soon anyways), you can always order the additional parts when you need them and rebuild that part of the rig, which is pretty modular. Essentially, you can build the pedalbox mount, steering wheel mount and seat mount all separately and slide them into the side profiles. Cap off the rails at both ends with two profiles and you're done :p Can't wait to build it myself and find out if it works as I think it will, really hope so.

That said, if anyone else has built this rig, pictures and a build log would be awesome!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The 80/20 dealers are driving me f*cking insaasnneeeeed urtghfhfn

I may end up going with Williams design and ordering through motedis if I can't get the proper support through 80/20

Upvote 0
Well that isn't a good first experience with those guys...

IF you're going for the design I've shown here, don't order anything until you know it suits you. I cannot vouch for it yet as I have yet to build it myself, just sayin':)

Upvote 0
Hey for sure man, let me ask though are there any CAD tools available with motedis? That's one of the reasons I gravitated to 80/20 knowing it would be more expensive before shipping costs. There were tools available to generate parts list plus build cost.

Upvote 0
Not that I know of, don't really need it though, an excel sheet does suffice in my case. I do use autodesk inventor which can generate a parts list automatically ;)

edit:
hmm, couldn't resist testing something. When I sit in my seat in GT position, with a round sparco wheel, it's very comfortable when I hold the wheel some 45 centimeters higher than thee ground plane, the base of the chair. However, the mounts for the wheel are only 50 centimeters high, might make them 60 centimeters just in case. I presume this will apply to the pedal mounts as well, weill verify later :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have a question of my own now :)

Done a mockup on the rig, measured stuff, great..

The mockup proved useful as I found that I couldn't reproduce the seating position properly with the last design, so it had to be changed. This is my current plan. However, in the search for good plans..
1ep3pg.jpg

A: when I want to build in tilt for the seat, should I put the base for that on the long side beams so you can support them better for hard braking forces?
B: the pedal supports as they are now, is this going to work with hard braking forces?

Any ideas on this? I can connect the pedal supports straight to the steering wheel mounts though, that is not that much of a problem. The seat I'm not so sure of, as adding the tilt makes things higher as well for the GT position... questions questions..

edit:
maybe it is better I open a separate topic for specific rig talk?

Edit2:
Scratch all of that! I have lost some sleep over it I will readily admit. A problem I solved with this current design is that when I did measure position things is that everything is a lot closer than I first thought. To accomodate for that I worked in two levels of width so to speak, outer (steering) and inner (seat and pedals). This way there are virtually zero chances of not being able to set up the rig properly. However, as soon qs my head hit my pillow... Scratch that last one, I am to do better, with less parts!

Edit3:
Had to put my idea on paper, and didn't even have my coffee!

The idea is this. Instead of working in two width 'tunnels' so to speak, I actually REMOVED parts to avoid conflicts between them. Also, I was concerned with the direction of the forces applied to the parts in relation to how they were mounted. Also, the last design was too convoluted in my opinion. I think with the idea I have now, I managed to both simplify and get back to the premise of reducing costs once again.

Literally drawing the direction of the forces made me thinking, what would a structure to support that would look like, with a central post in it?
balance_scale.jpg

Indeed!
Then somehow I recollected some ideas I had before base on other rigs, where there was talk about buttkickers and making sure the major parts were interconnected properly to propagate all the things which were going on vibration wise.

So, moving the major supports back in one width tunnel, by simply REMOVING offending parts (so simple it is rediculous..how could I miss that) and connecting posts to a central one, I essentially have two 'chassis' parts. The central post is virtually a complete unit on it's own, where the seat part and pedalbox part are attached to. But, for visuals' sake, I have colored the design parts differently so as to convey my idea better.

The green parts, are one big part. Essentially, through the central posts, the front is connected completely with the back through the horizontal profiles. They are connected to each other using the orange parts. I have included a third orange part in the middle of the U shape (from a frontal view) to add stiffness.The only thing left now is to simply slide in some squares (blue) to complete the connections between the sides and to mount the hardware. Both the seat and pedalbox now come with all the tilt, fore/aft, up/down adjustment you want for free and it should be really, really stiff. Even when it is not stiff enough, you can bolt some alumiunum sheets to the L corners to reinforce their mounting, which is handy when they are on the same plane ;)

If anyone who knows what they are talking about (unlike me so far) can comment on how feasible this idea is, that would be great.

edit4:
whoever posted this image:
http://i.imgur.com/oPvnAZV.jpg

thank you sir, the solution for the last issue I had with the mockup which ended up buggin me. The two posts which make up the sides for the steering wheel mount. The slimmer of the two is now rendered obsolete! This evening I'm going to get busy working on a new revision as a complete plan :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can't keep editing this thing to death...

This is the first time I might be posting on topic, as I'm finally considering these to be about in the ballpark of 'good instructions', or at least a good grasp on the design, instructions are missing obviously ;)

PDF Rev 4 download

Overviews:
359zr7s.jpg

wa1pc1.jpg

Steering wheel mounting (thanks Scr33x0r):
2zjeypc.jpg

Seat mounting:
2zdw4de.jpg

Pedalbox mounting:
2q30l68.jpg

The measuring I have done on a mockup I used these values to virtually put this rig together . Although the rig is one for small to medium sized people only, there should be quite some room for fiddling with your seating position to get it just right :)
9knrpu.jpg

Again, people seem to be downloading these pdf's like crazy. This is the first revision that I'd dare say can be built without any big unforeseen issues. One disclaimer though, as I've said before, do check measurements! Don't order anything until you have validated these plans!!

(and don't mind the typo's in the graphs, that was a last minute sharing of info ;) )

Upvote 0
thanks kurt :)

I'm certain of the seat position for my seat, as it is on sliders and extenders. This means, double controls :p For a seat without sliders, you can take longer profiles to mount the seat on. Just be sure that you keep the shorter end on the lowest position when tilting, otherwise you will no moe ground clearence left. You might also keep the uprights longer for that part of the rig*.

Every sub component, including the wheelbase can be tilted, moved vertically and horizontally :)
There are obviously limitations and I think because of how I mounted the wheelbase mount, there is an angle limitation. However this can be overcome by :
a: mounting from the side, as shown in the picture I posted from another rig earlier
b: for fanatec users, simply install the angled bracket

Of course, it's very easy to see for yourself how everything will fit together with the measurements you have. The ones you miss you can extrapolate. If there is the need, I can always provide a more detailed sideview in terms on dimensions. I also noticed a mistake in the bill of materials. I believe it states the profiles used for the steering wheel mount are 50centimeters high while in fact, that should be 70 like it is in the drawings. I will fix this for the next version. I'm really confident the big design changes are over now and all that is needed now is some minor changes such as mounting options or profile lengths.

I'm going to validate the current design, as I did with the previous one. Now my brother will be the testsubject and we'll measure up his comfortable seating position for GT. If and when we see the model can accomodate for that, we'll step it up for an F1 seating position for the both of us. If the model accepts that, well, I think that means we could start ordering parts really. He's quite busy so don't know when he will drop by though, but if someone else from the Ijmuiden area in the Netherlands wants to have a go, fine by me as well :p

*when we get to the assembling part, we're planning on documenting it as a tutorial as well (which is what this topic was about) I'll and remember to properly come up with names of parts for the rig. This makes it easier to know which part is meant by what...

Upvote 0
Guys keep in mind you may need a but of different dimensions than this. Especially if you are a tugboat :)

It really depends what you need. William is clearly intelligent guy and will scrutinize this thing over and over until it's perfect for most, but if you are a tugboat or really tall and don't use seat adjusters/slides this affects width and length of footprint, especially if using tilted seat for formjla sim position. Cheers.

Like if your 6'6 don't just buy whatever anyone here posts haha add the appropriate dimensions !

Upvote 0
Yep this is quite a personal thing. The nice bit about this material though, is you can order it to the centimeter. You want the rig wider? Easy as that. Longer reach to the pedalbox? Just order longer parts! :)

At one point I'll just have to bite the bullet and order stuff. Can you pour over drawnigs all you want but in the end it just has to fit together in the real world. Only then I can guarantee the drawings are correct, not neccesarily for induvidual cases, but correct in the sense that it's not technically impossible to put together, and you don't have to dislocate vertebrae to fit in it :p

Upvote 0
For sure. Didn't want to state obvious or anything but some people just get so excite to have a well thought plan, they download...order....forget to think a bit on their end too :)

Upvote 0
Just browsing to see the different models that are designed/mounted.
Already certain that i am going for 45x45 profiles and if possible black:unsure:
Need triple screen support and place behind the seat to place the desktop on.
Found a nice alu rig on inside ISR forums by razorsimon.

Looking and asking around in the area for local vendors. Possible to order long profiles and cut them myself.

@William Geuze Ijmuiden is a three hour drive.

and a small detail, have to sell my current rseat formula aswell.:O_o:

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back