Good DIY aluminium profile sim rig instructions?

Bez

All the gear, no idea...
are there any go to/tried and tested instructions for DIY projects using aluminium profile, I've found a couple but wondered if there was a definitive design people use.

Edit: or a good premade aluminium profile rig on sale?

Got an offer from a local business:), but can only say that motedis is the most bang for the buck.
Price for the same parts and even abit less accessoires made a difference of 100€:(
Have still 2 options, friends, i need to ask. Most likely the profiles will be ordered @motedis.

As for ordering, i am still looking for that monitor stand to be included.
Waiting for some news about the height for it. Thinking about 1300. As the precut pieces are 1000 which is not long enough, it will be 1450. Have to calculate how much 45x90 i need and then order a 3m or 6m length.

For turning the monitors http://www.motedis.com/shop/Dynamic...Gezamenlijke-180G-45x90-groef-8-10::1366.html

With the vesa plates from sim-lab.eu

Upvote 0
Exciting times! I have the same experience as you Kurt, Motedis seems to get you very competitive pricing to say the least :)

If I'm lucky, depending on some tax bills which I need to pay or not (sent a big complaint/objection letter), I might order next month. Either way, can't wait for some build logs to validate plans and measurements :)

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

i don't know if you know there is a rig from motedis?:
http://www.motedis.com/shop/Friends-of/Sim-Rig:::200_423.html

Fore some ideas you can also have a look here:
http://forum.virtualracing.org/showthread.php/53792-Zeigt-her-eure-Cockpits/page391

This is my one:
attachment.php

Upvote 0
I agree @William Geuze

I'm not a fan of that rig, you put in so much time effort money etc into your sim, why not a touch more with the frame.

Cheers

If I cannot get a good price here I'll order from motedis. Wouldn't that be something, with all the shipping and taxes if it would be cheaper. That's how expensive it is here ! (ITEM, 80/20)

Upvote 0
The rig with a triple monitor stand is ready, i think. Thanx @William Geuze for the design and plans.
Will make the final parts list later this week;)
Already bought 3x 100x100 vesa mounts, to attach the screens to the 45x90 profiles.
Also bought a set of pivot plates for the side screens. Maybe abit more expensive than what you can do with accessoires from Motedis.
These things can be found @sim-lab.eu
Very reasonable price for these accessoires and very helpful guy.:thumbsup:

Now the last thing is the seat.
Most of them are FIA aprroved which i do not need.
Found 2 seats which i am like and whhich do not have the FIA approval.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B005BP5ZCW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00
everything like slider and side brackets included

http://gp-race.com/es/baquets/169-baquet-apex-07-no-fia.html
No slider and brackets included, but can be bought separately. Sent them 2 emails of the beginning of this week but so far no answer.

Also 2nd hand rally, race teams seats which fia aprroval has finished can be a solution.
Favorites were Cobra Sebring, Sabelt GT 160.....
Anyone that can point me to some teams or something, is highly appreciated.:thumbsup:
Advice on choosing a seat, off course more than welcome.:)

Upvote 0
Hi Kurt. I'm still about to stab my eyes out due to the wait from local dealers for a simple quote.

Well done.

I would say you could get a cheap one, like cheap as balls, from wherever, take it apart and keep the shell.

Then order a bead fit kit like the indi scRoth or the bbs kit, and re use the shell for a custom seat. Might be over kill if you don't use it to train or for long periods of racing but, I'm telling you its the way to go if you use for a while :)

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How about this one? For under 300€, completely adjustable with angle gussets everywhere.
The two orange pieces are not included in the price because you can easily order them at a local hardware store. These can be chipboard or mdf or some kind of other cheap wood.
Capture2.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Upvote 0
For under 300€, how much is that then?:unsure:
Think that is much too expensive. For that price, pedal base and triple monitor stand included, is possible for 300€:)
Or am i missing something?

Good to see you have more cad skills than i:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Hi Kurt,
Maycad (which by the way is the most intuitive and bug free program i have ever used for this kind of designs) gives exactly 290€. Be advised that all extrusions are 40x40 and there are angle gussets everywhere which adds to the cost. These gussets can be replaced by some other type of joints but according to the software this requires machining (drilling) of the profiles at specific points and then goes away the adjust-ability. Believe me, I have spent hundreds of hours trying to make it cheaper. Triple monitor stand is by itself 300€ at least.

Upvote 0
Sorry but go and have a look @www.motedis.com
Do not think the prices from maycad are accurate m8.
45x45 and 45x90 for monitor support gives me a total of around 450€ shipping included.
Thats profiles, accessoires, cupholder:cool:

Upvote 0
I am not selling anything here Kurt. I am just giving you ideas. I am aware of the Motedis designs and they look really cheap for the quality and strength I can figure out from the photos. After all you can give my design to Motedis to implement it and I am sure it will be much cheaper than what Maycad gives. I am only having fun designing rigs like this using Maycad which - don't forget - spits out Maytech prices and not Motedis.

Upvote 0
Did a check between www.motedis.com and www.etsl.com.
Ordered all the same parts, just a 1.5m profile bar @motedis was not available so had to cut some customs pieces.
All the parts should be more than enough to make this constructed.
Price difference was around 17€ cheaper @etslux
Etsl price= 470,46€
Motedis price = 487,15€

Difference of 16,69€:cool:

Upvote 0
Ordered the BucketSeat BS6 Sportsitz
yesterday @amazon.de;), one more left:laugh:
bucket seat.PNG

Here is my parts liston the rig i want to build.
Parts list latest.PNG

Ordered abit xtra of bolts and some swivel joints to make a keyboard arm:rolleyes:
Therefore i ordered a xtra profile of 1.5m. The rest parts will also be used for that.
The price can be reduced by more than a 100€ if you leave out some accessoires which are more personal.
Also as i was looking for black profiles but these are very rare and so expensive:cool:, i saw a post @virtual racing.org forum and since i still have a large piece of mat black foil lying around, the proflies will be covered with that:p:D:inlove: At least thats the plan.

The swivel arms and vesa mounts for the triple screen monitor setup were ordered @sim-lab.eu
A drawing of my aluminium rig was made by the magnificent dutch @William Geuze :p:p:thumbsup:, thx for that.
RIG FINAL.PNG

This it for now. The order will be made later this week, if my friend does not find a cheaper local dealer:D

Attachments

• ontwerp_kurt (2) (1).pdf
    503.1 KB · Views: 728
Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.4%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.4%