Good DIY aluminium profile sim rig instructions?

Bez

All the gear, no idea...
are there any go to/tried and tested instructions for DIY projects using aluminium profile, I've found a couple but wondered if there was a definitive design people use.

Edit: or a good premade aluminium profile rig on sale?

After buying my bulk buy on E bay I measured off some cuts I would need to sort out the specific lengths. I tried one cut myself on a small piece that wouldn't be required with a hacksaw, not a good idea:(. Anyway took them to a local metal shop and asked a young lad if he could cut them square at the prescribed lengths, "No prob's his reply" unfortunately I forgot ask him how much. Went to collect later on in the day and he charged me £40 for nine cuts :confused: I was expecting to give him a tenner. If you look at the companies that supply the stuff they charge between 50p/75p. So make sure you ask the costs beforehand if you use somewhere local.

Upvote 0
I use this Tony.

You can buy them new for around £100
or used £50

Super handy mate and cut through a section of 45x90 in second's.
£40. pi** taker's

Attachments

• saw.jpg
    saw.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,163
Upvote 0
Yeah I know, but it was to late once it was cut, won't be using them again.

Paul, is the photo of a circular saw with a metal cutting blade? Can't wait to get cracking on garage conversion and sim build, presently in Sri Lanka but get home on Tue.

Upvote 0
Yeah I know, but it was to late once it was cut, won't be using them again.

Paul, is the photo of a circular saw with a metal cutting blade? Can't wait to get cracking on garage conversion and sim build, presently in Sri Lanka but get home on Tue.

Yes mate it is.
There is a multi purpose blade but you get a cleaner edge with the metal blade.

Saw Evolution.

Upvote 0
Just to say I've been reading this thread with such enthusiasm that I've pulled the pin and got confirmation from the wife to get my sim rig built.
Got a quote for a very basic rig for RM1000 which is about £200 without seat...
Decided to go it alone and buy profile, connectors and a seat by myself.
I have the seat, and the bulk of the parts already, and will be uploading pics of my current excuse for a rig, the building process and finally the finished result soon I hope.

Upvote 0
get my sim rig built
Congratulations and I'm sure you will have fun doing it!! However, I would suggest that you check out the rigs at Sim-Lab for a base, or if only to do some price comparisons (which you probably have already done:D). I used one of their small rigs just because it was easier and turned out to be cheaper than what I could do it for even with shipping to USA(TR1 model). I then added some of my own stuff to it to modify it for my use. The main reason it worked better for me was that the plate connectors they have custom cut are first rate and eliminate a lot of little connectors, especially for the wheel and pedal mounts. A more compact and clean unit in my case. Just a suggestion, but I know you will be happy no matter how you do it. I should have done it years ago but really glad I went with 80/20 rig :thumbsup:.

Upvote 0
Congratulations and I'm sure you will have fun doing it!! However, I would suggest that you check out the rigs at Sim-Lab for a base, or if only to do some price comparisons (which you probably have already done:D). I used one of their small rigs just because it was easier and turned out to be cheaper than what I could do it for even with shipping to USA(TR1 model). I then added some of my own stuff to it to modify it for my use. The main reason it worked better for me was that the plate connectors they have custom cut are first rate and eliminate a lot of little connectors, especially for the wheel and pedal mounts. A more compact and clean unit in my case. Just a suggestion, but I know you will be happy no matter how you do it. I should have done it years ago but really glad I went with 80/20 rig :thumbsup:.
Yeah I checked and their basic rig without seat is €330 (RM1,500)
My seat cost RM 500 and most of my profile is only costing RM800
Perhaps another one or two hundred for all fixtures and fittings, so around the cost of the base rig without seat and postage to Malaysia, which would be eye-watering at best...

Upvote 0
[QUOTE="ZeroRisk, post: 3041285, member:
Perhaps another one or two hundred for all fixtures and fittings, so around the cost of the base rig without seat and postage to Malaysia, which would be eye-watering at best...[/QUOTE]
I see what you mean. Sorry, I thought you lived in the EU!! Have fun and good luck with the build. Look forward to seeing it when completed.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I get that a lot. Formally from London, England but been living out here in the tropics for 6 years now.
Good thing is that the alu prof here is quite cheap and they cut for free. Tapping a thread is between RM1 and RM5 so 20p to a quid...
Even my Sparco bucket seat only cost RM550 so about a ton in British money. Not bad really to get up and running with this stuff.
Only thing wrong with it is that I didn't start this sooner.

Upvote 0
Reference the tapping. I didn’t bother getting it done professionally as the aluminium is very soft and I was able to use a longish bolt of the size I wanted, so just screwed it in. You obviously have to keep backing it off, but it takes no effort.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back