Formula 1800 @ Brands hatch wednesday December 29th 2010

exactly, with this type of car the weight trasfer is very fast so you have to be more precise to down gear at the right RPM
these cars are incredible, to drive them you have to consider pedals as wheel parts :tongue: awesome

Totally agree i love this car - (even though my time is just 1.38.670). I have done very little to change anything from basic setup. Coast from 30 to 25 an lover 5 gear a little. I still think I can find ½ second with this setup :)

I'm not sure it gives me an advantage as to me it feels planted and i'm really not struggling to control it. Try drop[ping the brake bias more to the rear and drop the brake pressure if that's what your struggling with. As i said earlier i am using some modified pedals which help with not locking up as there is alot more feel in the brake so i can slam it down initailly and slowly come off if that makes sense, where as the standard pedals your brakes are either on or off.

The trick i find with the F1800 is to be soft on the brakes and almost engine brake more using the gears. Maybe your going down the gears too quick which is making the rear unstable and introducing oversteer?

Thats what it looks like in your vid too, steering wise. I know how to use seperate axis on brake and throttle, and over 70% to the front is not "normal" bias as it should lock up your brakes and does so for me. I guess your pedals might be helpful yes. I'm ordering fanatec club sport pedals very soon since mine are broken and I currently use a very loose clutch pedal for brake. I still know how to control pressure though and are used to driving without abs.
It's not snap oversteer I'm getting, which I try to control to get harder turn in in the hairpin sometimes.

Anyway, the braking isnt the problem really, just something I noticed. Balancing the brake bias should only get my shorter braking distance so it's not a problem. It's the oversteer I cant control. If it's skill or hardware/wheel settings-related I dont know. But I know looking at your previous vid that was so much faster than me, if I choose those lines through the corners, I could not keep enough speed and would be much slower.

Yes, i've also noticed that she is very sensitive to proper downshifting. Just a little too high rpm and the tail comes loose. I think she makes a very good training car because she is difficult and unforgiving. Makes you work all contols in harmony. Can't just muscle your way around the track. At least that is how it seems to me, very much a novice. I'm not fast, but at least i'm beginning to keep her on the track most of the time!

Thats what it looks like in your vid too, steering wise. I know how to use seperate axis on brake and throttle, and over 70% to the front is not "normal" bias as it should lock up your brakes and does so for me. I guess your pedals might be helpful yes. I'm ordering fanatec club sport pedals very soon since mine are broken and I currently use a very loose clutch pedal for brake. I still know how to control pressure though and are used to driving without abs.
It's not snap oversteer I'm getting, which I try to control to get harder turn in in the hairpin sometimes.

Anyway, the braking isnt the problem really, just something I noticed. Balancing the brake bias should only get my shorter braking distance so it's not a problem. It's the oversteer I cant control. If it's skill or hardware/wheel settings-related I dont know. But I know looking at your previous vid that was so much faster than me, if I choose those lines through the corners, I could not keep enough speed and would be much slower.
Don't wind yourself up about it man, your still flying and it's only hotlaps, race pace will be completely different. It's just different driving styles and as they say different strokes for different folks. I have managed to get mine down to a 1:37:1 and was 2 tenths up on that before binning it the next lap by attacking the track and apexes more.

Will post vid in a minute, but i honestly think mid 36's are on here, just wish i had started praccy earlier now.

Thats a very fast time you got Lee :)
I'm working on my own setup - my driving style is different than yours. I think its fun to find a setup for yourself even if it isn't perfect.
I dont think I can get close to yours 1:37:1 though hehe

Totally agree i love this car - (even though my time is just 1.38.670). I have done very little to change anything from basic setup. Coast from 30 to 25 an lover 5 gear a little. I still think I can find ½ second with this setup :)
It's the best open wheeler out of all of the latest sims, nothing can touch this car. iRacings skippy is really really good but when you nail a lap in this, it feels so rewarding!

Thanks but it's too close now to start new setups for me. Just did a 1,38;3 with some new tweaks that feel comfortable in my setup so will go with that, there were some obvious mistakes I can correct on that lap so should be ok (I hope!). Will be very hard to go 12 laps without one mistake in this car heheh =)

I'll upload that setup. People who have a hard time with stability in this car should maybe try it, it's quite the opposite from Lee's setup. I use your differential and gearing setup though, it felt good.

C'ya all on the track tomorrow and good luck!

Well, I've just been practicing laps with Ivan's setup and I think it's quite good. Just as stable as the default, but with better gearing. I tweaked it a little for my wheel and pedals, but I'm now doing 1:41 every now and then, and 1:42 pretty consistent and I'm staying on the track for the most part, so pretty darned good for me!!

I'll try Tomas' setup too, if he has posted it. But I have to say I like Ivan's very much.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back