F1: The Halo - Five Races In - Opinion

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 Halo Opinion.jpg

With five races of the 2018 F1 season already complete, has the controversial Halo become par for the course with fans, or is it still dividing opinion?

Many, many fans were left cold by the introduction of the Halo head protection system for the 2018 Formula One season
, however with five races already done, what are fans opinions of this new piece of Grand Prix car furniture now?

Let us know in the comments section below!

Check the Formula One Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment for more news and discussion as it happens. Get yourself involved today and join in with the community!

It's still ugly, and makes it difficult to see the helmet, but i don't notice as much on TV (except for the onboard), and suppousedly saved an F2 driver, so iguess it's doing it's job.

Painting the Halo was a bad decision though, on the teams with black/carbon Halos it fades into the background much easier.

No, the cars don't look as good as 2017, but, the drivers are all for it, so why complain? It's there for driver safety, and it's already pretty much done it's job at saving a life/serious injury. It'll get improved on over the years, and we'll begin to not notice it at all.

Jimlaad43

Nice apex, I'll take it!
Staff
Premium
It has had no effect on the racing, and it has saved a life.

Nobody can complain about it.

Halo, or dead Tadasuke Makino. Two choices, no inbetween. If you're still a halo hater, get over it.

It has had no effect on the racing, and it has saved a life.

Nobody can complain about it.

Halo, or dead Tadasuke Makino. Two choices, no inbetween. If you're still a halo hater, get over it.

No proof that it saved his life. It may not have come over far enough to hit his head anyway.

A normal roll cage would provide better physical protection and not obstruct the middle of a driver's field of view. But that would make too much sense for F1 and the FIA.

No proof that it saved his life. It may not have come over far enough to hit his head anyway.

A normal roll cage would provide better physical protection and not obstruct the middle of a driver's field of view. But that would make too much sense for F1 and the FIA.
The view does not get obstructed, you see around it

Never was against the Halo, though an aeroscren would've been much preferred. It has been around for just a short while and it might've already saved a life or an injury. Sure, it doesn't look pretty but I'll take the lives of drivers over negatively-affected looks that I don't even notice most of the time any day. The Halo gets a :thumbsup: from me.

First of all, Makino survives the crash regardless. A glancing blow that leaves scuff marks but wasn't heading for the cockpit, does not a life saved make.

Secondly, take note of how unpopular the Halo was when it was introduced. What do you think has happened to that majority since then? They stopped watching.

I stopped watching too, and the only reason I'm still here at all is because I have nothing better to do and want to make sure the anti-halo argument doesn't get swept under the rug.

This will be the death of single seater racing outside of the US if it isn't repealed.

don't notice if the race is exciting ..... Only notice it once the race gets boring. But like the Halo Hud

Dbyd-pbU0AcxjY6.jpg

T Cam position and halo designs are different enough that the Merc HUD can’t be used on all cars... each car design will need a slightly adjusted HUD. Hopefully we see that happen sooner than later.

As for the halo in general, I don’t like admitting that I’m beginning to get use to the ugliness of it

T Cam position and halo designs are different enough that the Merc HUD can’t be used on all cars... each car design will need a slightly adjusted HUD. Hopefully we see that happen sooner than later.

As for the halo in general, I don’t like admitting that I’m beginning to get use to the ugliness of it
All t-bars have the same dimensions, it's an "off the shelf" product with one a few minor thingies glued on top of it by the teams.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 77 18.8%
  • €151-500

Votes: 115 28.0%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 66 16.1%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 36 8.8%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 40 9.8%
  • €3001-5000