F1: The Halo - Five Races In - Opinion

I'm 100% OK with it , since safety goes first. I love the new HUD you get to see on TV (If codies were paying attention they should totally put that on the game , but I don't have way too high expectations) BUT , am I the only one that thinks it does look horrible on TV depending on the shot ?

It is a minor detail , and I'm assuming they'll get cooler and stuff, nothing like 2010 cars :laugh:

• Deleted member 6919

Yeh I'm fine with the halo now, but what is really annoying me is how teams are using it for aero, shouldn't be allowed full stop, this was a controversial safety device as it was, so adding more carbon all over it just takes the mick, it was brought in to perfect the drivers head mainly, so what we're do is add more shite on it which can break off and be hit the driver as well, and as usual Ferrari try to take the piss.

don't notice if the race is exciting ..... Only notice it once the race gets boring. But like the Halo Hud

Dbyd-pbU0AcxjY6.jpg
The telemetry overlay on the halo is great.

First of all, Makino survives the crash regardless. A glancing blow that leaves scuff marks but wasn't heading for the cockpit, does not a life saved make.

Secondly, take note of how unpopular the Halo was when it was introduced. What do you think has happened to that majority since then? They stopped watching.

I stopped watching too, and the only reason I'm still here at all is because I have nothing better to do and want to make sure the anti-halo argument doesn't get swept under the rug.

This will be the death of single seater racing outside of the US if it isn't repealed.
Just out of interest, have you watched any race since the halo was introduced?

Just out of interest, have you watched any race since the halo was introduced?
Like I said, no. I don't even acknowledge F1's existence this year. Watching the races would be telling the FIA that the halo is okay and that they can get away with anything and everything.

Some people....

If somebody argues that the halo is actually unsafe overall, does not improve safety or that there is a better option that does the same job, then fair enough.

But people who argue against the halo purely for aesthetic reasons and claim that something as minor as this addition is going to kill single-seater racing, I just don't understand at all.

Get over it and just be grateful if the drivers are that bit safer.

Like I said, no. I don't even acknowledge F1's existence this year. Watching the races would be telling the FIA that the halo is okay and that they can get away with anything and everything.
That's a shame because all the races apart from the last one had suspense to the last minute

Quite frankly, I'd have preferred a shield like the one in Indycar...strictly for more driver safety.
I see it as better protection for small objects, which can still find their way through those 'massive' openings on the Halo.
That said...if it'll keep a tire from 'bouncing' off the head of a driver, I'll take it.

If somebody argues that the halo is actually unsafe overall
Driver vision is compromised by the front pylon. This can and probably has already led to more accidents that would not have occurred before.

This was never just about the way it looks for me. It utterly fails in function too.

Last edited:
It might have saved a life, but ask yourself the question just how fast a driver can get out of a car on fire with that halo blocking his escape route. Than the extra seconds might actually cost the world a life.

I still think other options provided better protection from both crashing and confinement issues.

Driver vision is compromised by the front pylon. This can and probably has already led to more accidents that would not have occurred before.

This was never just about the way it looks for me. It utterly fails in function too.

Well, to me that is a valid argument whether I agree with it or not. It's just the aesthetic argument that I take issue with.

First of all, Makino survives the crash regardless. A glancing blow that leaves scuff marks but wasn't heading for the cockpit, does not a life saved make.

Secondly, take note of how unpopular the Halo was when it was introduced. What do you think has happened to that majority since then? They stopped watching.

I stopped watching too, and the only reason I'm still here at all is because I have nothing better to do and want to make sure the anti-halo argument doesn't get swept under the rug.

This will be the death of single seater racing outside of the US if it isn't repealed.

You still haven't answered my question. Halo, or a dead driver? Don't swerve and blame a made up argument, answer my question, because it is a simple one.

Drivers are almost never looking straight forward, with the exception of very long straights the moment the have finished one corner they are looking ahead to the apex of the next. A lot of tintops have far more restrictive views. All cars already had some level of central obstruction (some teams more than others) on the nose anyway so it's essentially a small change from the drivers perspective.

For a tall driver like Hulkenberg visibility looks excellent to me

For shorter guys like Bottas the car body and his own hands/wheel provide more of an obstruction than the halo does.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back