F1: The Halo - Five Races In - Opinion

Can't say that it looks marvelous, but couldn't care less about it now.
The graphics they put across screen during race is very naff though - would rather they got rid of that :geek:

You either have evidence that he'd die without the halo, or you're being sensationalist. Two choices, no inbetween.
Regardless of this, the Halo will save lives, and you're going to have to get over it.

What's more important? Your racing heroes living after accidents where fatal amounts of debris would have hit their helmet without the halo, or aesthetics.

Anyone who says Aesthetics needs to reevaluate their priorities and get their heads out of their behinds.

You either have evidence that he'd die without the halo, or you're being sensationalist. Two choices, no inbetween.

He's being sensationalist.

False dilemma
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A false dilemma is a type of informal fallacy in which something is falsely claimed to be an "either/or" situation, when in fact there is at least one additional option.[1]

A false dilemma can arise intentionally, when a fallacy is used in an attempt to force a choice or outcome.

On top of which he's choosing to ignore what I've been saying about the halo being dangerous in more situations than it is safe. Even if you can look around it, it's still a distracting pylon in your cone of vision.

The additional option here is the shield, btw. That's my final answer. Shield, or nothing at all.

On top of which he's choosing to ignore what I've been saying about the halo being dangerous in more situations than it is safe. Even if you can look around it, it's still a distracting pylon in your cone of vision.

The additional option here is the shield, btw. That's my final answer. Shield, or nothing at all.
There is no cone in the way, you look completely around it, you kind of don't notice it

Well, this went sideways very quickly. If people can't see the obstruction of view and the claustrophobic lay-out in case of real emergency and favour that one time that a Bianchi accident will not end up lethal as a way forward, it just showcases a narrow viewpoint.
There are quite a lot of experts saying that the Halo wouldn't work in his case. I don't know if they're right or not, but either way I wouldn't use Jules' case in this argument

Regardless of this, the Halo will save lives, and you're going to have to get over it.

What's more important? Your racing heroes living after accidents where fatal amounts of debris would have hit their helmet without the halo, or aesthetics.

Anyone who says Aesthetics needs to reevaluate their priorities and get their heads out of their behinds.

I'm not saying I'm against the halo. I'm just saying I didn't consider your argument valid.

To be honest I'm all for safety devices, I just think they could find some way to make it look less hideous, so we could have all the benefits of the added safety, without if being so horrendous. I see the halo as more of a provisional solution, before they find a way to make an aeroscreen, canopy, or even an evolution of the halo itself that can provide even more safety without looking so bad.

I feel like the halo is a compromise. Why stop here? Why not put the drivers in a closed cockpit? For me, it's either a completely closed cockpit or nothing at all. Glass shields and halos are just compromises that make no one happy.

No proof that it saved his life. It may not have come over far enough to hit his head anyway.

A normal roll cage would provide better physical protection and not obstruct the middle of a driver's field of view. But that would make too much sense for F1 and the FIA.

The middle view is actually the least important for a F1 driver. They're usually looking to the left or right, zeroing in on the next apex. A roll cage or anything blocking the side view would impair visibility while cornering.

And if you saw the aftermath of that accident, it's pretty clear that the halo was an asset. There were literally skid marks on the halo, meaning the tire was rotating with enough downward force to leave that mark. Without the halo, it would have continued downward and into the cockpit.

You don't have to look around it. Hold your hand up narrow wise in front of you face, you can clearly see through it because of how your eyes trangulate. No different with the halo. If you try it in VR, you immediately see it has virtually zero impact on visibility. In fact, after about 20 minutes, I had gotten so used to it that when I tried it without it, it felt strange.

Why people/fans keep saying it blocks the view when the actual drivers have said it doesn't, is beyond me.

It's a small stalk of a pylon though, it isn't as thick as a building pillar. The drivers said it themselves that it takes getting used to, but as far as visibility restrictions, its not bothering them at all.

I can tell you reasons why the shield cant replace the halo:

- The angle at which the shield starts in front of the car WILL distort the view.
- I couldn't see the driver from certain camera shots (which is worse than the halo)
- Drivers can't wipe off debris/stains on the shield. If the driver runs on grass/gravel on a wet track on race day; a pit stop is needed to wipe it off and time is wasted.
- Structural Integrity: It's supported by a thin base unlike Indycar. Any debris would either bend it or crack it. Halo stays rigid due to a strong 3-point mount.

Sponsorship by Havianas is the most brilliant F1 advertising idea yet. It looks like the straps on your flip-flops. Love it. Halo not so much, but it works.
f1-australian-gp-2018-havaianas-sponsorship-on-the-force-india-7901326.jpg

Last edited:
It is at the moment, a necessity ugliness. Hope the engineers can come up with something that looks better in the future. For now, please make them black to make them less distracting.

To be honest, I don't even notice the halo any more. Well maybe only that awkward moment when the winner is trying to athletically bounce out of their tired and smokey steed, but always fails. :D

Seems Grosjean had a little tiny crash in fp1 , a brushing i may say but it seems the brakes damaged... sorry for ot :D

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back