Halo Confirmed for F1 2018

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 Halo 3.jpg

Following a Strategy Group meeting today, the FIA has confirmed the controversial 'Halo' concept will finally be introduced from the start of the 2018 Grand Prix season.

Trialled by serveral teams during various Grand Prix practice sessions last season, and chosen above the 'shield' concept run by Ferrari at Silverstone last weekend, the Halo head protection solution has now been confirmed for mandatory introduction next year.

Pushed through in answer to a drive for increased head protection in light of several head trauma related fatalities in recent years, the Halo has been met with a mixed reception from drivers and fans alike since making its first public appearance.

F1 Halo.jpg

Alexander Wurz, chairman of the Grand Prix Drivers' Association, said:

"We drivers respect the FIA's stand on safety and support its ongoing quest to make racing safer.

"Over recent decades, we have seen increasing speeds and every faster lap times and this ultimate racing quest is solely possible due to increasing safety.

"Equally, over the same period of time, we have seen an increase in popularity of our sport.

"F1 is a role model for ever-increasing safety without jeopardising performance. While the halo solution might not be the most aesthetically pleasing for everyone, we drivers will nevertheless race and push as hard as we can on track, which is the key for F1 to continue its growth and popularity."

The decision to take up the option of introducing the 'Halo' solution comes in the wake of Sebastian Vettel's failed test of the more aesthetically pleasing 'shield' at Silverstone, where the German claimed he felt "dizzy" and pulled into the pits after just a single lap.

F1 Shield.jpg

The FIA have been evaluating a number of head protection options in recent years, and have now confirmed the Halo will be making an appearance on all cars as of next season, albeit with some modifications from the version see out on track during 2016.

F1 Halo 5.jpg

Full statement from the FIA:

Today the Formula One Strategy Group met to discuss a number of issues regarding the FIA Formula One World Championship. For the first time, all teams competing in the FIA Formula One World Championship were present at the meeting with observers from Renault Sport Formula One Team, Scuderia Toro Rosso, Sauber F1 Team and Haas F1 Team in attendance.

Key topics discussed at the meeting included:

Frontal cockpit protection

Following the unanimous agreement of the Strategy Group, in July 2016, to introduce additional frontal protection for Formula One and the repeated support from the drivers, the FIA confirms the introduction of the Halo for 2018. With the support of the teams, certain features of its design will be further enhanced.

Having developed and evaluated a large number of devices over the past five years, it had become clear that the Halo presents the best overall safety performance.

2021 Power Unit

An update was given to all attendees regarding the two recent extraordinary meetings held in Paris involving significant representation from the bulk of global motor sport power unit manufacturers.

Further analysis will be completed over the summer which will be reviewed at the next meeting of the Strategy Group in September.

Cost control

A new approach to cost control was presented and received unanimous support. A dedicated Working Group made up of representation from the Commercial Right Holders, the FIA and the teams will be tasked to come up with innovative solutions aimed at ensuring the sport remains sustainable in the coming years.

Improving the show

A number of sporting measures aimed at improving the show were also debated and specific studies will be carried out to assess these.

F1 Halo 2.jpg
F1 Halo 4.jpg

Check the Formula One Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment for more news and discussion as it happens. Get yourself involved today and join in with the community!

Happy to see the introduction of head protection in Formula One? Do you think it necessary? Is the 'Halo' the correct choice in your opinion? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Oh boy... The Halo is a doomed fix. Its a small plaster on a shark bite... There are some major flaws such as the gaps between the middle stem can still allow debris, springs, bolts and other car stuff through to the drivers head that could cause injury. Not to mention the visibility could be a factor at places with large elevation change such as Eau Rouge. (But Rosberg already tried it at Spa and reported not much difference).

Plus I wonder how this device will effect the aero flow over the car, it can create an unstable vortex just before the rear wing which could mean downforce being unloaded in conditions of changing direction quickly. Suzuka esses for example.

In my opinion they SHOULD have spent at least 5 years developing this technology to make sure the final design was a fault proof idea. The Halo has a lot of things wrong with it. So too the Aeroscreen and the Shield. This is why we should have had a lot of time dedicated to finding a solution.

I´d like to see actual crash-tests, cause i´m not convinced yet.
Will the middle strut break in a frontal hit or if a car lands upside down ?

So far its only judged by its looks. To terrible results that is i must say.

Soon , there have windscreens, then wipers, then a roof, hold on its super gt! This year i ve come back to watching f1 as i was losing interest before , some races this year have been quite good, now with allot of these so called changes i feel they are destroying all the excitement (what's left of it!) surrounding f1, they stopped refueling, the v10 engine, taken away imola and other great circuits and are now adding this!

The only thing I know of having gone through impact testing was Red Bull's Aeroscreen, but it's really not that different from the Shield. The main difference I can see is that the Aeroscreen had a completely straight profile, while the Shield arcs somewhat from front to back. When looking out the front of my own car, I notice some distortion in the view where the windscreen curves slightly. Perhaps the Aeroscreen should be judged by drivers (especially Seb for the one-to-one comparison) to see if the same distortion exists. But, none of this makes any sense if nothing has been impact-tested.

But there's still gaps where stuff can go.

They should just stop faffing around and make the cars closed cockpit if they really want to protect the drivers, IMO.

They are paid millions. Motorsport is dangerous, not ****, but seriously this, does this really add any protection to the drivers, I doubt is, a single small upright right in the drivers view.

They need to man up like the Moto GP drivers

YT Bird strike = DUCK

This is not good news, it's just so ugly, that should still matter. I think the system of virtual safety car and safety car is fine. Just don't leave huge cranes and machinery on the trackside during racing!

I prefer the reinforced glass shield but it would add a couple pounds to the overall weight. While they are at it, maybe they can reduce the wake these cars produce drastically by next year to allow for much close racing. That will make up for this eye sore.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back