F1: The Halo - Five Races In - Opinion

Don't swerve and blame a made up argument
Actually I am going to swerve and blame a made up argument because that's what it is. Made up. The fact that Makino's onboard was never released pretty much confirms it. If the halo really did save his life, wouldn't they have released the onboard as soon as possible to show the world how right they were and prove me wrong?

Actually I am going to swerve and blame a made up argument because that's what it is. Made up. The fact that Makino's onboard was never released pretty much confirms it. If the halo really did save his life, wouldn't they have released the onboard as soon as possible to show the world how right they were and prove me wrong?
They can't show an onboard if a camera gets ripped off.

I am still waiting for an answer.

In all my years of being on the internet I have never seen such a lame comeback. Everyone is now dumber for having read your post. I award you no points.
In all of my years on the internet I have never seen such a lame person with no arguments:roflmao:

Saving a life (no evidence against it) is more important than anything else, even though it might look ugly to some people (me included)

Not a great lover of the HALO I'm afraid. My hope is that over time it will be better integrated into the car's design. At the moment it still looks to much like an add-on afterthought.

I prefer the screen in Indycar, but the requirements from both are different. The HALO seems to be designed more for toughness (like a rollcage) whereas the screen is more for debris. Both serve their purpose but in different ways.

I remember when the head protection came into F1 in '96. The first versions of it were pretty ungainly but over time, the designers found ways of making it blend into the cars more, I'm hoping the HALO will be the same.

In the meantime, the 2018 Indycar is seriously pretty and the next gen engine will have 100Bhp more! Woohoo! I know what I'm watching in the future! lol.

Joking aside though, even if the HALO isn't a long term solution, it is at least a solution to the problem of a driver being struck on the helmet by another car, debris, etc.

Last edited:
You'll be waiting for a long time then. I don't have to answer your question just because you insist on it.
The difference between Fact and Opinion is that Fact is true whether you believe in it or not. The Halo DID stop the wheel hitting Makino's head whether you like it or not.

Now, are you going to answer my question, or start contributing to the discussion? If not, please stop replying here.

Either accept my reply or don't. I'm done talking with you. However that does not give you the right to tell me to get out of the thread entirely. You are not the only other participant in the thread.

Driver vision is compromised by the front pylon. This can and probably has already led to more accidents that would not have occurred before.

This was never just about the way it looks for me. It utterly fails in function too.
The driver looks around it, each eye is on the left and right side of it so the brain stitches an image together

Surely, whether the halo saved Makino in this particular incident is kind of irrelevant to the overall argument.

To argue that the debris would have hit the driver's head in a place that wouldn't have caused injury/death, is to acknowledge that it could instead have hit somewhere that would have caused injury/death. In other words, you are accepting that whether the Halo saved Makino or not, it could save a driver in a similar scenario, and almost certainly will in future.

Additionally, from the photos and video I can't see how you can claim that the wheel would only have glanced or completely missed Makino's head.

We don't know exactly what would have happened had the halo not been there but we do know that the driver believes it saved his life and the race-director believes it saved a far more serious incident and a high chance of serious injury or worse.

I wasn't into the halo at first but after the first 5 races, it doesn't seem to matter anyway. Opening races so far like China and Baku makes 2018 are future classics anyways.

As for the functionality, the drivers don't really complain about the halo other than its still awkward to get in and out. Halo is here to stay for safety and it'd be nice to keep it this way for now until there's further improvements.

For the Makino incident, whether the halo saved him or not, the current device worked perfectly as a preventive measure regardless.

Truth is you do get used to it and I did when watching F1. But I also got used to limping around when I sprayed my ankle for the 5th time. However, it didn't mean I liked limping around and it still looked akward.

I still hate the halo, it still looks ugly and the argument that it already saved a life is a load of horsemanure in my opinion.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
First of all, Makino survives the crash regardless. A glancing blow that leaves scuff marks but wasn't heading for the cockpit, does not a life saved make.

Secondly, take note of how unpopular the Halo was when it was introduced. What do you think has happened to that majority since then? They stopped watching.

I stopped watching too, and the only reason I'm still here at all is because I have nothing better to do and want to make sure the anti-halo argument doesn't get swept under the rug.

This will be the death of single seater racing outside of the US if it isn't repealed.
I'm sorry, but that is quite sad to stop watching F1 because they're trying to make the cars safer for the drivers in the cars. It's not like the fact that the cars are a little bit safer have ruined F1 and is no longer watchable is it?

sorry but WHAT ? F1 is dangerous. It should not be deadly though , imho. Noone wins anything when a driver cannot come back the next GP

You're right, it should not be deadly but danger is a part of past F1 championships. Old F1 drivers don't fear about death ; remember Senna's races...

Safety is important but it cannot be more predominant than car performance and show.
F1 must stay motorsport pinnacle.

Well, this went sideways very quickly. If people can't see the obstruction of view and the claustrophobic lay-out in case of real emergency and favour that one time that a Bianchi accident will not end up lethal as a way forward, it just showcases a narrow viewpoint.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 90 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 124 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 464 39.1%