Guys, can someone clarify the situation? I found out empirically that reflections are related to the vertex color. BUT, what you will see next - THIS IS MYSTIC.

For example, I took the original model of a Mercedes 2014 (pic 1). However, I changed the livery to black for clarity.

(pic 2) - the original vertex color
(pic 3) - the original model, the reflections are all in place.

and then I went to edit!

(pic 4) - on some vertices I changed colors
(pic 5) - I exported this model to the game and the reflections of the place where I changed the colors are gone!
(pic 6) - I RETURNED the color to blue, exported and ...
(pic 7) - reflections are NOT back!
(pic 8) - I painted the vertices in random colors, and ...
(pic 9) - no reflections appeared

Is there a solution to this problem?
Looks like the game is really finicky when it comes to the color. I realized that the alpha of those blue parts on the car is 0 and when I used the default settings in the Blender brush settings to paint, the alpha was getting changed and causing issues with the reflections. I ended up un-checking the "Affect Alpha" checkbox and making the falloff constant. That seemed to allow me to paint the car a different color, re-paint in the original blue, and then go to the game and the reflections stayed the same. Seems using the vertex paint tools in Blender may be tough since editing the alpha is a bit awkward.

1638656325950.png

Looks like the game is really finicky when it comes to the color. I realized that the alpha of those blue parts on the car is 0 and when I used the default settings in the Blender brush settings to paint, the alpha was getting changed and causing issues with the reflections. I ended up un-checking the "Affect Alpha" checkbox and making the falloff constant. That seemed to allow me to paint the car a different color, re-paint in the original blue, and then go to the game and the reflections stayed the same. Seems using the vertex paint tools in Blender may be tough since editing the alpha is a bit awkward.

View attachment 522625
I tried changing the color of the vertex on the original model, and indeed the reflections remained. But, adding just a cube, attaching the Body material to it, painting its vertices blue - no reflections appeared, although I removed the checkbox.
FF.PNG

I tried changing the color of the vertex on the original model, and indeed the reflections remained. But, adding just a cube, attaching the Body material to it, painting its vertices blue - no reflections appeared, although I removed the checkbox.View attachment 522784
Unfortunately I'm not much of an artist so I don't know how to use the Blender tools, but I think I saw that there's a blend mode called "Erase Alpha" or "remove Alpha" or something like that. I imagine that when you create a cube, by default it would have alpha so that's probably why unchecking "Affect Alpha" doesn't do anything. It keeps the existing one. I believe you need to somehow make alpha 0 first, and then change only the RGB channels. That's why I said doing this painting in Blender might be tough. I don't know if it's possible to visually see what the vertex color alpha is set to.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I'm not much of an artist so I don't know how to use the Blender tools, but I think I saw that there's a blend mode called "Erase Alpha" or "remove Alpha" or something like that. I imagine that when you create a cube, by default it would have alpha so that's probably why unchecking "Affect Alpha" doesn't do anything. It keeps the existing one. I believe you need to somehow make alpha 0 first, and then change only the RGB channels. That's why I said doing this painting in Blender might be tough. I don't know if it's possible to visually see what the vertex color alpha is set to.
Thanks a lot Petar, by removing the alpha channel I really added reflections!
FFF.PNG

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 450 69.8%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 279 43.3%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 297 46.0%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 133 20.6%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 173 26.8%
Back