Essential Plugins and Settings for a newbie in RF2

Hello everyone! I have been experimenting with rf2 for the past month. The progress is really slow but I enjoy racing rf2 now. I am able to run rf2 on an Asus gtx460. I have an i7 4th gen so that's not a bottleneck in the system. I just changed my ddr3 ram from 4gb to 8gb. I can actually drive rfactor2 with a full field of cars now. As a steering wheel I have a driving force gt from logitech.
What settings are essential to get the best rf2 experience (on a dfgt)? At the moment I don't feel like the steering wheel is giving me enough feedback. What settings do you guys recommend for ffb, graphics and controls?
Now the plugins. I have not installed any for rf2. Are there any that are really essential?
If you have other suggestions please tell me!!!

The essentials for me are Track Map (posted above), Crew Chief (which supports many other sims and it's a must IMO) and Delta Best

Delta Best
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/delta-best-time-plugin-for-rfactor-2.3479/

Crew Chief
https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/crew-chief-v4-5-with-rfactor-2-support.54421/

But like Aceking said, these plugins are not supported (and might even crash RF2) in DX11

I personally prefer DX9 so i'm still running all these plugins.

Good luck and welcome to RF2 :thumbsup:

Echo the above. crew chief is an amazing piece of software and essential sim racing kit.

I must admit that I've not really had to do much in the set up dept for rF2 apart from graphics tweaks. Wheel feels fine to me out of the box.
There are a lot of tweaks both in game and using nVidia CP and Inspector. I can give you some tips from how I have mine set up if you like although I'm using a 1070 so would have to make the odd change here and there.

Welcome to rF2. Awesome Sim and only getting better and better. :thumbsup:

Echo the above. crew chief is an amazing piece of software and essential sim racing kit.

I must admit that I've not really had to do much in the set up dept for rF2 apart from graphics tweaks. Wheel feels fine to me out of the box.
There are a lot of tweaks both in game and using nVidia CP and Inspector. I can give you some tips from how I have mine set up if you like although I'm using a 1070 so would have to make the odd change here and there.

I bought rF2 in the last sale, didn't really touch it yet though. Too many settings and not enough time.
I have a 1070 too and look for a decent setting for it. Always using inspector etc so if you could provide your settings I would be very thankful! :)

I bought rF2 in the last sale, didn't really touch it yet though. Too many settings and not enough time.
I have a 1070 too and look for a decent setting for it. Always using inspector etc so if you could provide your settings I would be very thankful! :)
I have a 1070 too and almost everything is at the top quality, both the game and the launcher (Dx11 options). I recently added 3 monitors and testing them never went under 60 fps even with other cars on the track.

I changed some graphical settings. For some reason 720p with level 4 anti aliasing didn't work on some car/track combos. Now I run 1080p without anti aliasing and fxaa on. This runs fine. Not great but ok. If someone can help me to get better settings overall I would really appreciate this.

What settings do I need to change outside of rfactor2 that will really improve my fps or graphical performance. I have never taken a look at the NVidia CP before. What settings do you use there?

Last edited:
That's what I heard too. The in-game settings are quite extensive.
Basically I run with highest AA available and PP at low
Some people even run with PP off to obtain higher fps
Also take reflections down to low and smoke low or off. This will give performance boost for lower spec PCs
I'll be able to post exact settings tomorrow as can't get to my rig atm

Reactions: Rob
That's what I heard too. The in-game settings are quite extensive.
Basically I run with highest AA available and PP at low
Some people even run with PP off to obtain higher fps
Also take reflections down to low and smoke low or off. This will give performance boost for lower spec PCs
I'll be able to post exact settings tomorrow as can't get to my rig atm
My pc is really inconsistent at running rfactor2. Sometimes I run at 140 fps. Sometimes at 20. I now changed the player.json file to have 60fps at max. My monitor only has 60hz so it doesn't matter to have more then 60fps. This helps but it's still really inconsitent. It has something to do with the gpu. It's not really supported. I think I will stay at iRacing until my membership stops in february next year. Then I will buy a 1050ti so I can run rfactor2 properly and I hope the dx11 version is out and the sim racing studio mods (AC) are out for Rfactor2.

Reactions: Rob
I only have Post processing on medium and low to high settings everywhere else. Mine very rarely drops below 60 - 80 fps. In game AA level at 4 via config screen. I am using an AMD RX480. I am quite happy with my games graphics.
Just to give you an idea.
OIC6f9K.png

Cb94Ten.png

UmiNYc7.png

LkjlYWa.png

RJD4tcf.png

aWKGLbE.png

Last edited:
I only have Post processing on medium and low to high settings everywhere else. Mine very rarely drops below 60 - 80 fps. In game AA level at 4 via config screen. I am using an AMD RX480. I am quite happy with my games graphics.
OIC6f9K.png

Cb94Ten.png

UmiNYc7.png

LkjlYWa.png

RJD4tcf.png
Looks dope man. The problem is that I have a NVidia gtx460. It's a really old card. It's enough for iRacing but not for rFactor2. I can play it but at 720p at lowest possible settings with aa level 4. This is the opposite of emmersion. Physics are much better then iRacing tho. In iRacing it's almost only visuals that will enable you to catch a slide. In rFactor you can do this almost blind. I will probably have no time until february so it doesn't matter at the moment. I can fullfill my needs with iRacing at the moment.

Not sure if this was a language barrier thing but by saying "looks dope" he meant it as a compliment. Just saying
Might be, but "dope" has a different meaning where I come from. If dope means good then I apologise but I ain't ever heard of that before.

Definition of dope UK
(1):a stupid person

Might be, but "dope" has a different meaning where I come from. If dope means good then I apologise but I ain't ever heard of that before.

Definition of dope UK
(1):a stupid person
Sorry man I'm from the Netherlands. We normally say this as a compliment. I thought these rf2 screenshots looked great. I hope you're not angry. It's kind of language barier. Dx11 looks so sick in rfactor2.:thumbsup:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back