Upcoming Events

Rookie friendly WTCR sereis Weekly BMW races on Simracing.GP Weekly BMW races on Simracing.GP Other regular AC events on Simracing.GP Weekly GT3 Sprint Races on Simracing.GP Weekly GT4 Sprint Races on Simracing.GP Weekly rFactor 2 events

DTM | GT3 Regulation Shift For Post 2020 Season

After a protracted and at times painful demise of the Class One regulations, ITR Chairman Gerhard Berger has confirmed the DTM will transition to GT3 style cars next year, bringing an end to the spectacular prototype touring car rules.
  • DTM will continue into 2021.
  • New rules will adopt 'GT3 Pro' regulations.
  • Audi and BMW leave ITR.

The king is dead, long live the king. After much negotiation and several false dawns, the German DTM series will be reborn next season, dropping the impressive but expensive Class One regulations in place of what the championship describe as 'GT3 Pro' rules - essentially moving the series away from their traditional touring car roots as a new era begins for the series.

DTM Middle.jpg

DTM has been in trouble for a long time, with the much hyped but ultimately doomed Class One regulations failing to attract or indeed retain manufacturers to the category, compounded by the news that Audi will be walking away from the championship at the conclusion of the current season.

With little in the way of fresh interest from brands in the immediate future, former Arrows, Benetton, Ferrari and McLaren driver Gerhard Berger has been working hard at the head of governing body ITR to find a way to retain the DTM name in modern motorsport - and that work has now born its first fruits, with an announcement on Saturday evening that from next year the championship will run to a modified GT3 specification, with a focus on customer teams supported in part by manufacturers where appropriate.

Berger himself is putting his money where his mouth is with confirmation that his own BMS outfit will take over responsibility for the series - something the 10-time Grand Prix winner is confident will help DTM reverse the slide it has experienced in recent years.

“During the past months, we have been discussing various strategic options for the future of the DTM in complex negotiations. Said Berger.​

"In the past days, I have had very constructive talks with Audi and BMW. Both manufacturers enable for me to take over the full responsibility for the future of a race series in which, for the moment, primarily GT cars will be running.​
That Audi and BMW are supporting a scenario for continuation is great news for all the employees and motorsport fans. In the future, no longer the factories, but independent professional privateer teams will be competing for victories on the platform. For me, it was important that both manufacturers commit to this concept, in order for the GT models of these brands to race here as well. I have this commitment. Therefore, I express my sincere thanks to the manufacturers: with their decision, they not only have contributed essentially to securing the jobs at the ITR and the DTM partners, but also enable fans and supporters to continue to enjoy top-level motorsport. Now, I am looking forward to working on a sustainable strategy for the future, together with our strong partners like Sat.1, one that will thrill the fans.”​
Berger has already confirmed the series will retain the current racing structure in place for DTM 2020, with sprint races forming the backbone of the new era - setting the series apart from more traditional platforms such as the ADAC GT Masters and GT World Challenge championships.

DTM Middle 2.jpg

As for the cars themselves, Berger has suggested that although GT3 regulations will form the basis, DTM hope to apply several changes to maintain a suitable difference between this category and established GT3 based series - with more power and an appetite to keep costs at a minimum some of the main drives behind the announcement.

Both Audi and BMW have reportedly committed to providing support to customer teams within the category, however, at this point Berger is remaining tight-lipped as to the prospect of other brands joining the grid - only going so far as to confirm he has received "interest" from manufacturers not currently competing under the DTM banner.

An interesting change, but a sad loss to see the end of what has been a spectacular era since the DTM returned in 2000 - it will be curious to see how this category continues and moves forwards in the years ahead.

Original Source: DTM

Got something to say about your favourite racing series? No worries, head over to the RaceDepartment Motorsport sub forum and fire up a thread today!

DTM Footer.jpg

Last edited:
May as well call the series 'ADAC GT Masters Pro' now that DTM is officially dead - unpopular opinion, GT3 series has always been a class that only a small number of people bother with - you don'e see SRO events pack out venues like F1 races do but then, with the exeception of the few, WEC races don't either

I always called the Class 1 formula, a failed experimation that dug their own hole for them

Last edited:
is there really that big of a difference between the current DTM spec and GT3?

There is a *huge* difference, in fact there's about nothing in common - current DTM cars have more in common with LMP2 than either any GT car let alone a touring car. They'd have been better off going DPi, it's basically the same idea.

Then rebrand it DRM, and you've even got a history to lean on...

Last edited:
A bit sad that it will not be unrestricted GT3 cars, to at least have something different and even mor eimpressive than regular GT3. But Manufacturer engaged only GT3 cars will be interesting

Was never a fan of the prototype cars I must admit. I voted no as I think they should go down the proper touring car BTCC style route. However I can imagine the GT3 route was probably the easiest way of keeping the show on the road for the short term, not exactly a shortage of GT3 machinery out there.

Exactly.

Go to the cars like BTCC style. I watch a lot of the series in TV and a lot of races were much better than the DTM hightec aero cars.

Brendan24

Premium
I also think this was a bit of a missed opportunity to go back to more traditional touring car regs like BTCC. Would've been even cheaper for teams and is a formula that provides much more exciting racing than GT3 regs in my opinion

So :

- GT3 to DTM
- GT3 to Le Mans

I love GT3 but it's sad to see how far and stupid some series went on regulations.
WTCC, GTE, DTM, LMPh, too much regulations kills motorsport.

Tormentor

Premium
The dead of the DTM is no short story and began years ago. They've created this series and many of us "old" guys remembered the "golden era" and we all were very excited. The first problem was the tv broadcast. License was giving to ARD/ZDF and you could'nt enjoy the races at all. 2 stupid commentators and sometimes they skipped the last 10 minutes to bring the german news on tv. Perfect!
Next problem, if you call it DTM with german manufacturers, why the f**k are not all races in germany, and why not more of it? They never raced on the Sachsenring, or Schleizer Dreieck. Tracks with 70+ years of racing historie. No Nordschleife. And you can tell whatever you want, DTM and the green hell has to go hand in hand. Wrong car selection. The early years with the Audi TT and Opel Astra were exactly was everybody was looking for. Those were the cars we had in our garage, and ever in race dress, they almost looked like the cars we had. It was basic, and it was tough racing. They left the path and changed the rules. Every little contact was penalized, . Touring cars need contact and banging wheels, thats what people like to see. The series is way to expensive and complicated. Just look at the DRS and P2P rules, how should a spectator understand this?
Do whatever you want, allow GT3 cars or e-Mini or Teslas, but please don't call it DTM again. Never ever.

Mitja Bonca

Premium
DTM has always been a level if not more higher then all other series around the europe (if not globe). Only series which can compared with, is Japanese SuperGT GT500. Its really a shame they won`t join - and it looked so good a year ago. And now its all braking a part :( :(
So now going levels down its really a SHAME. Would be better to put it on hold of some kind, and wait with it for better times.

Last edited:
I can understand that they were in a tough spot trying to survive but I've had enough of GT3. Yes, more HP and P2P but it's still GT3 and it's everywhere, all the time. Outside of a few races, I've been watching anything but or at least trying to. I've even gone back pretty serious into F1.

DTM was so unique that it was hard not to become invested. And this is without having access to it during the "golden era" of the league.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but why can't DTM just adopt the NGTC regs that BTCC use. It'll actually make DTM a touring car series, be much cheaper and introduce more privateers and more manufacturers and opens up for potential partnering with BTCC.

DTM has always been a level if not more higher then all other series around the europe (if not globe). Only series which can compared with, is Japanese SuperGT GT500. Its really a shame they won`t join - and it looked so good a year ago. And now its all braking a part :( :(
So now going levels down its really a SHAME. Would be better to put it on hold of some kind, and wait with it for better times.
There have been enough alarm signals and examples in the past showing why a comparable series like BTCC is still going strong and why DTM ceases to exist for the second time. It's just too reminicent of 1996 when the ITC died as the cars became too technological advanced with F1 tech and too expensive. When we think about late 80s and early 90s the cars resembled their average joe day life counterparts and you knew that they were an M3, A4 or a 190. Today, the cars look like spaceships and have nothing in common with the road cars, they all look the same, they sound sh*t and are as expensive as it gets.

If they followed the same approach as BTCC they would have no issues fielding more than twenty cars and it would garantue some great racing without those stupid gimmicks like DRS. Next to the fact that DTM is just too international. This might sound a bit nationalistic, but why does the German Touring Car Championship not race at tracks like Sachsenring, Oschersleben, Nordschleife or Bilsterberg, while they race basicly everywhere in Europe, Covid19 or not? Do you see the BTCC racing at Moscow raceway? Why not race at Tempelhof? Airfield races have been great in the racing history and many venues that we know today started as airfields. With this comes the problem that the traveling times and costs for the teams rise and that the German spectators have no access to the supposed to be prime German Touring car series. It all screams for failure.

Benutzername

I breathe a lot. I guess i just really like air.
Premium
There have been enough alarm signals and examples in the past showing why a comparable series like BTCC is still going strong and why DTM ceases to exist for the second time. It's just too reminicent of 1996 when the ITC died as the cars became too technological advanced with F1 tech and too expensive. When we think about late 80s and early 90s the cars resembled their average joe day life counterparts and you knew that they were an M3, A4 or a 190. Today, the cars look like spaceships and have nothing in common with the road cars, they all look the same, they sound sh*t and are as expensive as it gets.

If they followed the same approach as BTCC they would have no issues fielding more than twenty cars and it would garantue some great racing without those stupid gimmicks like DRS. Next to the fact that DTM is just too international. This might sound a bit nationalistic, but why does the German Touring Car Championship not race at tracks like Sachsenring, Oschersleben, Nordschleife or Bilsterberg, while they race basicly everywhere in Europe, Covid19 or not? Do you see the BTCC racing at Moscow raceway? Why not race at Tempelhof? Airfield races have been great in the racing history and many venues that we know today started as airfields. With this comes the problem that the traveling times and costs for the teams rise and that the German spectators have no access to the supposed to be prime German Touring car series. It all screams for failure.
Bilster Berg? Would be a first, i think.
It is a test track. It has restictions for the volume of the cars, i often saw muffled Porsches there. There are no options for specators. I dont think well every see a proper race on that nice track

I'm going to try and translate what I hope Berger is referring to. GT3 Pro sounds like GTE more than GT3. More h.p, more downforce possibly but no ABS or TC (I'm hoping). One driver (Pros).

There is no GTE stand alone series so maybe that could work and maybe teams that run GTE could sign up.

What I had hoped for was some Super GT cars and some GT3s if needed to make up the grid along with BMW if they were willing to stick around but in DTM format...1 driver, sprint format.

Isaac Chavira

Livery Designer
This is like putting the condom on after she's pregnant. They already lost Merc, now Audi. All we have left is the Bimmer. GT3 regs, fine but don't use the same exact cars. DTM cars were unique looking. Maybe Alfa-Romeo can come back and Opel. Touring Wagon should also mean -not a 2 door- car. This is what I wish (I know it won't) happen:

• Audi - RS6
  • Alfa Romeo - Giulia Q
  • BMW - M5
  • Mercedes AMG - E63 S
  • Opel - Insignia GS
  • Porsche - Panemera Turbo S
  • Volkswagen - Arteon SEL-R

650hp cap (Must use factory engine block with no over-bore.
2095lbs (950kg).
PTP & DRS enabled.

Durge Driven

Premium
BOP is illusion, GT3 don't race on equal terms :roflmao:

They use a control tyre and believe it or not the same tyre does not give all cars the same results

What has my interest more than anything here is the supposed modifications list that the DTM will require for GT3 cars to become eligible for the series. I wonder how visually different these GT3 Pro cars will end up looking and if they'll have features like P2P or DRS built-in like the current DTM cars.

BOP is illusion, GT3 don't race on equal terms :roflmao:

They use a control tyre and believe it or not the same tyre does not give all cars the same results

SRO spec GT3 does - other series using GT3 homologation don't have to. NLS SP9 or GT300 can use whatever ( providing it's pre-approved ).

--

There won't be DRS ( not least because quite aside from it needing to be designed in from the start, on a GT3 it wouldn't do much anyway ).

--

Why not take SuperGT MC regs, they're a smaller cheaper version of what we have :p

Last edited: