DTM | GT3 Regulation Shift For Post 2020 Season

May as well call the series 'ADAC GT Masters Pro' now that DTM is officially dead - unpopular opinion, GT3 series has always been a class that only a small number of people bother with - you don'e see SRO events pack out venues like F1 races do but then, with the exeception of the few, WEC races don't either

I always called the Class 1 formula, a failed experimation that dug their own hole for them

Last edited:
is there really that big of a difference between the current DTM spec and GT3?

There is a *huge* difference, in fact there's about nothing in common - current DTM cars have more in common with LMP2 than either any GT car let alone a touring car. They'd have been better off going DPi, it's basically the same idea.

Then rebrand it DRM, and you've even got a history to lean on...

Last edited:
A bit sad that it will not be unrestricted GT3 cars, to at least have something different and even mor eimpressive than regular GT3. But Manufacturer engaged only GT3 cars will be interesting

Was never a fan of the prototype cars I must admit. I voted no as I think they should go down the proper touring car BTCC style route. However I can imagine the GT3 route was probably the easiest way of keeping the show on the road for the short term, not exactly a shortage of GT3 machinery out there.

Exactly.

Go to the cars like BTCC style. I watch a lot of the series in TV and a lot of races were much better than the DTM hightec aero cars.

So :

- GT3 to DTM
- GT3 to Le Mans

I love GT3 but it's sad to see how far and stupid some series went on regulations.
WTCC, GTE, DTM, LMPh, too much regulations kills motorsport.

The dead of the DTM is no short story and began years ago. They've created this series and many of us "old" guys remembered the "golden era" and we all were very excited. The first problem was the tv broadcast. License was giving to ARD/ZDF and you could'nt enjoy the races at all. 2 stupid commentators and sometimes they skipped the last 10 minutes to bring the german news on tv. Perfect!
Next problem, if you call it DTM with german manufacturers, why the f**k are not all races in germany, and why not more of it? They never raced on the Sachsenring, or Schleizer Dreieck. Tracks with 70+ years of racing historie. No Nordschleife. And you can tell whatever you want, DTM and the green hell has to go hand in hand. Wrong car selection. The early years with the Audi TT and Opel Astra were exactly was everybody was looking for. Those were the cars we had in our garage, and ever in race dress, they almost looked like the cars we had. It was basic, and it was tough racing. They left the path and changed the rules. Every little contact was penalized, . Touring cars need contact and banging wheels, thats what people like to see. The series is way to expensive and complicated. Just look at the DRS and P2P rules, how should a spectator understand this?
Do whatever you want, allow GT3 cars or e-Mini or Teslas, but please don't call it DTM again. Never ever.

DTM has always been a level if not more higher then all other series around the europe (if not globe). Only series which can compared with, is Japanese SuperGT GT500. Its really a shame they won`t join - and it looked so good a year ago. And now its all braking a part :( :(
So now going levels down its really a SHAME. Would be better to put it on hold of some kind, and wait with it for better times.

Last edited:
I can understand that they were in a tough spot trying to survive but I've had enough of GT3. Yes, more HP and P2P but it's still GT3 and it's everywhere, all the time. Outside of a few races, I've been watching anything but or at least trying to. I've even gone back pretty serious into F1.

DTM was so unique that it was hard not to become invested. And this is without having access to it during the "golden era" of the league.

Last edited:
DTM has always been a level if not more higher then all other series around the europe (if not globe). Only series which can compared with, is Japanese SuperGT GT500. Its really a shame they won`t join - and it looked so good a year ago. And now its all braking a part :( :(
So now going levels down its really a SHAME. Would be better to put it on hold of some kind, and wait with it for better times.
There have been enough alarm signals and examples in the past showing why a comparable series like BTCC is still going strong and why DTM ceases to exist for the second time. It's just too reminicent of 1996 when the ITC died as the cars became too technological advanced with F1 tech and too expensive. When we think about late 80s and early 90s the cars resembled their average joe day life counterparts and you knew that they were an M3, A4 or a 190. Today, the cars look like spaceships and have nothing in common with the road cars, they all look the same, they sound sh*t and are as expensive as it gets.

If they followed the same approach as BTCC they would have no issues fielding more than twenty cars and it would garantue some great racing without those stupid gimmicks like DRS. Next to the fact that DTM is just too international. This might sound a bit nationalistic, but why does the German Touring Car Championship not race at tracks like Sachsenring, Oschersleben, Nordschleife or Bilsterberg, while they race basicly everywhere in Europe, Covid19 or not? Do you see the BTCC racing at Moscow raceway? Why not race at Tempelhof? Airfield races have been great in the racing history and many venues that we know today started as airfields. With this comes the problem that the traveling times and costs for the teams rise and that the German spectators have no access to the supposed to be prime German Touring car series. It all screams for failure.

There have been enough alarm signals and examples in the past showing why a comparable series like BTCC is still going strong and why DTM ceases to exist for the second time. It's just too reminicent of 1996 when the ITC died as the cars became too technological advanced with F1 tech and too expensive. When we think about late 80s and early 90s the cars resembled their average joe day life counterparts and you knew that they were an M3, A4 or a 190. Today, the cars look like spaceships and have nothing in common with the road cars, they all look the same, they sound sh*t and are as expensive as it gets.

If they followed the same approach as BTCC they would have no issues fielding more than twenty cars and it would garantue some great racing without those stupid gimmicks like DRS. Next to the fact that DTM is just too international. This might sound a bit nationalistic, but why does the German Touring Car Championship not race at tracks like Sachsenring, Oschersleben, Nordschleife or Bilsterberg, while they race basicly everywhere in Europe, Covid19 or not? Do you see the BTCC racing at Moscow raceway? Why not race at Tempelhof? Airfield races have been great in the racing history and many venues that we know today started as airfields. With this comes the problem that the traveling times and costs for the teams rise and that the German spectators have no access to the supposed to be prime German Touring car series. It all screams for failure.
Bilster Berg? Would be a first, i think.
It is a test track. It has restictions for the volume of the cars, i often saw muffled Porsches there. There are no options for specators. I dont think well every see a proper race on that nice track

I'm going to try and translate what I hope Berger is referring to. GT3 Pro sounds like GTE more than GT3. More h.p, more downforce possibly but no ABS or TC (I'm hoping). One driver (Pros).

There is no GTE stand alone series so maybe that could work and maybe teams that run GTE could sign up.

What I had hoped for was some Super GT cars and some GT3s if needed to make up the grid along with BMW if they were willing to stick around but in DTM format...1 driver, sprint format.

This is like putting the condom on after she's pregnant. They already lost Merc, now Audi. All we have left is the Bimmer. GT3 regs, fine but don't use the same exact cars. DTM cars were unique looking. Maybe Alfa-Romeo can come back and Opel. Touring Wagon should also mean -not a 2 door- car. This is what I wish (I know it won't) happen:

• Audi - RS6
  • Alfa Romeo - Giulia Q
  • BMW - M5
  • Mercedes AMG - E63 S
  • Opel - Insignia GS
  • Porsche - Panemera Turbo S
  • Volkswagen - Arteon SEL-R

650hp cap (Must use factory engine block with no over-bore.
2095lbs (950kg).
PTP & DRS enabled.

What has my interest more than anything here is the supposed modifications list that the DTM will require for GT3 cars to become eligible for the series. I wonder how visually different these GT3 Pro cars will end up looking and if they'll have features like P2P or DRS built-in like the current DTM cars.

BOP is illusion, GT3 don't race on equal terms :roflmao:

They use a control tyre and believe it or not the same tyre does not give all cars the same results

SRO spec GT3 does - other series using GT3 homologation don't have to. NLS SP9 or GT300 can use whatever ( providing it's pre-approved ).

--

There won't be DRS ( not least because quite aside from it needing to be designed in from the start, on a GT3 it wouldn't do much anyway ).

--

Why not take SuperGT MC regs, they're a smaller cheaper version of what we have :p

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 85 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 167 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 320 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing