Upcoming Events

Weekly BMW races on Simracing.GP Other regular AC events on Simracing.GP Weekly rFactor 2 events

What racing gear do you use while sim racing?

• Gloves

Votes: 87 18.2%
  • Boots

Votes: 20 4.2%
  • Gloves + Boots

Votes: 42 8.8%
  • None

Votes: 329 68.8%

DIY Wheel with Simhub & Nextion Display

Hejhej,

I was planning my projekt for my new Racing Wheel and I stumbled over the following sentence on SimHub Wiki:

"Arduino Pro Micro : The arduino will emulate a TTL and allow RGB LEDs or buttons to be added"

Now, I plan to add rgb leds AND buttons and I am wondering, if every free pin is free to use.
Will this wiring plan I have in mind work out?
Screenshot 2021-01-19 105114.png

Thanks everyone for your help!

Are you planning to use the push function (like a button) of your encoders? I don't see those anywhere.

You can use the RX0 and TX1 ports aswell, they just won't be displayed in the Simhub Arduino setup tool.

For information, I have added the wiring diagram of my own project wheel. 12 buttons (including shifter paddles), 5 encoders and 24 LEDS. I didn't have enough pins to utillize the push function of my five encoders so I've left those out.
Wiring diagram.jpg
Kabeldiagram Porsche 911 RSR 2017 stuur 2.0.png

rx0 tx1 for nextion display. 2,3,4,5,6,7 for 3 encoders. 8,9 button col 1&2. 10,16,14,15,a0,a1 for button row 1-6. a2 for leds, a3 for single clutch paddle.

the weird thing is that mine did not work on one ardiuno because the led's and nextion draw to much power from it..........and i did read there where more ppl having that. tho if it works than great :).
BTW your link i knew allready that where i got it as well.

Are you planning to use the push function (like a button) of your encoders? I don't see those anywhere.

You can use the RX0 and TX1 ports aswell, they just won't be displayed in the Simhub Arduino setup tool.

For information, I have added the wiring diagram of my own project wheel. 12 buttons (including shifter paddles), 5 encoders and 24 LEDS. I didn't have enough pins to utillize the push function of my five encoders so I've left those out.
View attachment 437952 . View attachment 437950
hello friend, has that simhub configuration worked for you? a greeting

Alex Ball

Web Nerd
I made one with a screen - used a vocore and an LED strip.
Fun project, but I never got round to finishing it. It needs the handles to be wrapped in alcantara or something, and the front re-printed without the printing pattern.

NFJghDg.jpg

Everything works, encoders, pushes, switches etc.

Last edited:
hello friend, has that simhub configuration worked for you? a greeting
Yea man, it works a treat. I made sure I made a wiring diagram, so that I wouldn't make mistakes while wiring the thing up. Worked pretty well! The wiring diagram is in this thread too by the way, if you want to check it out.