DIY Wheel with Simhub & Nextion Display

Hejhej,

I was planning my projekt for my new Racing Wheel and I stumbled over the following sentence on SimHub Wiki:

"Arduino Pro Micro : The arduino will emulate a TTL and allow RGB LEDs or buttons to be added"

Now, I plan to add rgb leds AND buttons and I am wondering, if every free pin is free to use.
Will this wiring plan I have in mind work out?
Screenshot 2021-01-19 105114.png

Thanks everyone for your help!

Are you planning to use the push function (like a button) of your encoders? I don't see those anywhere.

You can use the RX0 and TX1 ports aswell, they just won't be displayed in the Simhub Arduino setup tool.

For information, I have added the wiring diagram of my own project wheel. 12 buttons (including shifter paddles), 5 encoders and 24 LEDS. I didn't have enough pins to utillize the push function of my five encoders so I've left those out.
Wiring diagram.jpg
Kabeldiagram Porsche 911 RSR 2017 stuur 2.0.png

Upvote 0
the weird thing is that mine did not work on one ardiuno because the led's and nextion draw to much power from it..........and i did read there where more ppl having that. tho if it works than great :).
BTW your link i knew allready that where i got it as well.

Upvote 0
Are you planning to use the push function (like a button) of your encoders? I don't see those anywhere.

You can use the RX0 and TX1 ports aswell, they just won't be displayed in the Simhub Arduino setup tool.

For information, I have added the wiring diagram of my own project wheel. 12 buttons (including shifter paddles), 5 encoders and 24 LEDS. I didn't have enough pins to utillize the push function of my five encoders so I've left those out.
View attachment 437952 . View attachment 437950
hello friend, has that simhub configuration worked for you? a greeting

Upvote 0

Alex Ball

Web Nerd
I made one with a screen - used a vocore and an LED strip.
Fun project, but I never got round to finishing it. It needs the handles to be wrapped in alcantara or something, and the front re-printed without the printing pattern.

NFJghDg.jpg

Everything works, encoders, pushes, switches etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hello friend, has that simhub configuration worked for you? a greeting
Yea man, it works a treat. I made sure I made a wiring diagram, so that I wouldn't make mistakes while wiring the thing up. Worked pretty well! The wiring diagram is in this thread too by the way, if you want to check it out.

Upvote 0
Fun project, but I never got round to finishing it. It needs the handles to be wrapped in alcantara or something, and the front re-printed without the printing pattern.

NFJghDg.jpg

Hey!

Very nice project! I'm doing the same project (DIY Cosworth CCW Mk2 steering wheel) and I would like to know if you can tell me which encoders, screen, LED's and PCB you used for yours?
It's the only thing I miss.

Thank you for your reply :)

Upvote 0

Alex Ball

Web Nerd
I didn't use a PCB, just wired it to an arduino. LEDs are a 15-led bar (Grove?). Rotaries are cheap amazon ones! :)
Screen in that photo is a Vocore, but I've now changed it to a Nextion.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of building my own wheel and I'm currently testing the components I want to use. It will have a Nextion display and a RGB-LED bar aswell as buttons, switches and around five rotary encoders. It's all running trough an Arduino Micro Pro.

All is working so far, however I can't seem to properly read the values of the encoders. I recently tried to only read the encoder values without the display and all the rest connected and they work pretty well. My guess is the arduino is missing some encoder-values because of the serial communication for the screen and RGB leds.

How did you guys get it to work, or did you use a seperate Arduino/TTL adapter for the display?

Best regards,

Jonas

Upvote 0
Ah, thanks! That's what I thought...

I think I'll go for a seperate solution as well. I don't see any major downsides to that aside from having to use two USB cables.

Upvote 0

NFJghDg.jpg

Very nice wheel! Like it.

Upvote 0