DIY Wheel with Simhub & Nextion Display

Hejhej,

I was planning my projekt for my new Racing Wheel and I stumbled over the following sentence on SimHub Wiki:

"Arduino Pro Micro : The arduino will emulate a TTL and allow RGB LEDs or buttons to be added"

Now, I plan to add rgb leds AND buttons and I am wondering, if every free pin is free to use.
Will this wiring plan I have in mind work out?
Screenshot 2021-01-19 105114.png

Thanks everyone for your help!

Are you planning to use the push function (like a button) of your encoders? I don't see those anywhere.

You can use the RX0 and TX1 ports aswell, they just won't be displayed in the Simhub Arduino setup tool.

For information, I have added the wiring diagram of my own project wheel. 12 buttons (including shifter paddles), 5 encoders and 24 LEDS. I didn't have enough pins to utillize the push function of my five encoders so I've left those out.
Wiring diagram.jpg
Kabeldiagram Porsche 911 RSR 2017 stuur 2.0.png

Upvote 0
the weird thing is that mine did not work on one ardiuno because the led's and nextion draw to much power from it..........and i did read there where more ppl having that. tho if it works than great :).
BTW your link i knew allready that where i got it as well.

Upvote 0
Are you planning to use the push function (like a button) of your encoders? I don't see those anywhere.

You can use the RX0 and TX1 ports aswell, they just won't be displayed in the Simhub Arduino setup tool.

For information, I have added the wiring diagram of my own project wheel. 12 buttons (including shifter paddles), 5 encoders and 24 LEDS. I didn't have enough pins to utillize the push function of my five encoders so I've left those out.
View attachment 437952.View attachment 437950
hello friend, has that simhub configuration worked for you? a greeting

Upvote 0
I made one with a screen - used a vocore and an LED strip.
Fun project, but I never got round to finishing it. It needs the handles to be wrapped in alcantara or something, and the front re-printed without the printing pattern.

NFJghDg.jpg

Everything works, encoders, pushes, switches etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hello friend, has that simhub configuration worked for you? a greeting
Yea man, it works a treat. I made sure I made a wiring diagram, so that I wouldn't make mistakes while wiring the thing up. Worked pretty well! The wiring diagram is in this thread too by the way, if you want to check it out.

Upvote 0
Fun project, but I never got round to finishing it. It needs the handles to be wrapped in alcantara or something, and the front re-printed without the printing pattern.

NFJghDg.jpg

Hey!

Very nice project! I'm doing the same project (DIY Cosworth CCW Mk2 steering wheel) and I would like to know if you can tell me which encoders, screen, LED's and PCB you used for yours?
It's the only thing I miss.

Thank you for your reply :)

Upvote 0
I didn't use a PCB, just wired it to an arduino. LEDs are a 15-led bar (Grove?). Rotaries are cheap amazon ones! :)
Screen in that photo is a Vocore, but I've now changed it to a Nextion.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of building my own wheel and I'm currently testing the components I want to use. It will have a Nextion display and a RGB-LED bar aswell as buttons, switches and around five rotary encoders. It's all running trough an Arduino Micro Pro.

All is working so far, however I can't seem to properly read the values of the encoders. I recently tried to only read the encoder values without the display and all the rest connected and they work pretty well. My guess is the arduino is missing some encoder-values because of the serial communication for the screen and RGB leds.

How did you guys get it to work, or did you use a seperate Arduino/TTL adapter for the display?

Best regards,

Jonas

Upvote 0
Ah, thanks! That's what I thought...

I think I'll go for a seperate solution as well. I don't see any major downsides to that aside from having to use two USB cables.

Upvote 0

NFJghDg.jpg

Very nice wheel! Like it.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 272 27.4%