Featured DiRT Rally 2.0 - VR Confirmed

Discussion in 'DiRT Rally 2.0' started by Paul Jeffrey, Feb 8, 2019.

1. ears

ears
    I am, and always will be, stupid Premium

Ratings:
    +403
    Because it's not direct. It's another layer, just like Revive.

From the page you linked.

2. ears

ears

Ratings:
    +403
    Is SteamVR open source?

3. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT

Ratings:
    +228
    Layer of indirection is how all standard APIs work, USB, DirectX, etc. Nobody talks directly to the hardware drivers these days.
    This is standard way to bring everyone to a common denominator. Why do you see it as a hack? :O_o:
    Revive is a community project, and from my experience with it is far from finished/polished product, which is expected.
    OpenVR on the other hand works brilliantly with WMR headsets.

4. ears

ears

Ratings:
    +403
    Really good that it works well with WMR headsets.

But SteamVR doesn't support the Rift particularly well. I've compared performance using games that support both SteamVR and Oculus SDK and the performance difference is noticeable.

As the article you linked to stated, there are more layers.

So please don't assume that SteamVR, OpenVR offer the same experience to Rift users as they do to SteamVR native users, because they don't.

5. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT

Ratings:
    +228
    Vive and WMR are communicating through OpenVR API layer, there is no native Vive calls from game engine. That translated to specific HMD HW calls in OpenVR driver.
    Yes, there is layer of indirection, how much overheads it adds depends on specific vendor driver implementation. May be Oculus is not that interested in making it efficient enough.

And as I mentioned earlier at some point AC had performance advantage in OpenVR over direct Oculus SDK, not sure if situation changed.
    https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/vr-performance-in-oculus-vs-ovr-modes.47367/

• Like Like x 1
  6. aklru

aklru
    Premium

Ratings:
    +2
    I had a Vive Pro, but chose to refund because it was DOA.
    The few hours I got it to function, showed a leap in quality, but also how poorly VR adapted to an old proprietary HMD looks in a newer one.
    Currently waiting to see if/when my Pimax preorder comes through.

As others have pointed out, poor performance with OpenVR on the Rift is because of Oculus' implementation.
    They choose to not optimize how their product works with an open standard.

But I agree with you that the walled garden that is Steam, is not necessarily better.
    I don't know what's in the works, but VR needs a completely open framework.
    Currently that's not available for the vast majority of apps, as you have to bend over to either Facebook or Valve to run them.
    But at least, SteamVR implements an open API and is available for anyone to utilize.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ears

ears

Ratings:
    +403
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT

Ratings:
    +228
    • Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.