DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT Rally 2.0 - VR Confirmed

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT 2.0 VR Support.jpg

After considerable encouragement from a vociferous community, Codemasters have finally confirmed VR support will be coming to DiRT Rally 2.0!

Yes, you heard it correctly - following a notable omission of Virtual Reality support in the most recent DiRT 4 rally game from Codemasters, and something of an intense campaign by a portion of the racing game community to make Codemasters understand just how sought after the inclusion of VR support really is for their next game, the English development studio have at long last confirmed that the upcoming DiRT 2.0 will indeed be in receipt of VR compatibility post release - hitting social media earlier today to confirm that a summer VR compatibility update will be made available for the PC version of the game!

Sadly for VR users this isn't all good news however. It appears that the Oculus Rift platform will be VR headset of choice for support within DiRT 2.0, with no mention of the impressive HTC Vive headset, or other compatible brands at this early stage. Now if this means just Oculus support, or if further headsets will be added later, remains open to debate.

Either way, it is wonderful to see how Codemasters have obviously been listening to their community in recent months, and once again hitting the stages in full VR is sure to be an incredibly impressive experience indeed..

I can't wait!

DiRT Rally 2.0 will release February 26th 2019.

If you want to discussion the game with our passionate community, and read about the latest news, check out the RaceDepartment DiRT Rally 2.0 Sub Forum for a great place to pick up mods, catch the latest news and chat about the game with our community. Give it a go, just keep it DiRTy!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Don’t preorder games guys...is the first rule, wait for the trusted review of your choice and than decide.

I am in contact with a couple beta testers, i trust their judgement. They say the pre build they have, is good. So i pre ordered last week and have the pleasure of getting some pre order bonuses. Sooooo actually i did what you said. Wait for your trusted review ( of fellow simracers)

Can't see why it's odd. I mean I understand the people making the petition would not say they are making it for *that* reason, but that *is* mostly the reason for making petitions, isn't it? If you go make a petition demanding something, you obviously think someone in charge should care about your opinion on the matter, so in other words, you think you're important enough to make a difference. The reality of the thing is, in case of 99 % of petitions (and especially the internet ones, the ones gamers and similar people tend to make), nobody could care less, and nobody generally does.
I 've never made a petition in my life but this is the dictionary interpretation
petition
Dictionary result for petition
/pɪˈtɪʃ(ə)n/
noun
  1. 1.
    a formal written request, typically one signed by many people, appealing to authority in respect of a particular cause.
    "she was asked to sign a petition against plans to build on the local playing fields"
    synonyms: appeal, round robin, list of signatures/protesters
    "about 7,000 people signed a petition objecting to the scheme"
So the important words for you to note are 'request' & 'many people' the very definition is not about the individual or 'demanding' anything. So i doubt 'feeling important' has anything to do with it.
Its funny that a simple wish list doesn't cause the same cognitive dissonance or when we see multiple no sim/no buy comments, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that some think there is an underlying envy that motivates the non VR users.

So are you saying that people who'd like VR included in games have started multiple internet petitions "demanding" this? I guess the great thing about the internet is you'll have links to these sticks you're using to beat people with, so please, link to them here. Because surely you wouldn't fling insults around without some substance to back yourself up with, would you?

You know, I'm really not sure why you are so agitated and confrontational. Also, you did notice that when it comes to petitions as an argument in the ongoing discussion, I wasn't the one who brought the subject up and was merely responding to someone else who did, right? I certainly hope people *did not* start petitions about adding VR. But it really wouldn't surprise me if they did, because...yeah.

Yeah I agree here. Especially when people who have no real interest or investment in the subject of a thread go wading in with a load of insults with no interest in making any constructive contribution.

What is it with you apparently taking everything as an insult? I honestly don't see the "loads of insults" I am apparently "flinging around". Well, unless you're *actually* one of those people that run to make an internet petition every time something doesn't go according to them, in which case...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, what makes you think I have no real interest in the subject? Just because I am incredibly annoyed by the zealousness and constant vocality of a significant part of the VR community doesn't mean I'm not interested in the subject*. But that *is* a very popular strawman argument to make in this kind of discussion, isn't it? If you disagree with or criticize how some people and/or members of the VR community behave, you obviously "have no real interest or investment in the subject", and if you also happen to not be able to afford a VR headset and an appropriate GPU at the moment (or owning them simply isn't that big of a priority to you), you are also apparently instantly jealous of everyone else that does. That seems to be the general consensus lately, as people tend to be pretty quick to go for that "no interest/jealous" counter-argument.

(*Well, unless "the subject" is supposed to be Dirt Rally 2, but in that case it would be even more wrong.)

Apparently @Martin Fiala doesn't like

Martin Fiala said:
the way VR fans tend to quickly turn into fanatic zealots shoving their newfound head-mounted religion of the great VR prophet down everybody's throats at the slightest opportunity they get.

The opportunity the VR fans are using here appears to be A THREAD ABOUT VR created by the website's editor.

You'd think if someone didn't want VR 'rammed down their throat' a good place to start would be NOT READING THREADS ABOUT VR.

Source https://twitter.com/_Case/status/1094409701448658945

Have you compared the Rift to, I dunno, any other HMD on the market right now? :roflmao:

And if you'd care to address the actual point of my post, you know, walled gardens and suboptimal (though highly appreciated) compatibility hacks, what are your two cents?

Only to the Vive - and my opinion was the display on the Rift was much clearer and sharper, with noticeably less SDE. I haven't tried any WMDs or the Vive Pro.

What HMD do you have?

And as for the actual point of your post... I don't want exclusives to be there. VR is in such a weak position anyway (cockpit based games are only real genre where VR is consistently supported in major non-VR titles) that a single SDK would likely lead to more interest from potential developers.

But we're not there.

We have SteamVR that has nothing more really than, similar to your assessment of Revive, a suboptimal but highly appreciated compatibility hack for the Rift. SteamVR doesn't have native Rift support and Oculus store doesn't have native Vive support. Steam sells games that are not available on Oculus, so Rift owners have to suffer the Steam wrapper hack to play them.

Oculus compatibility in SteamVR is a hack, a wrapper, just like Revive. It's not native support.

Oculus might like to sell more games to more people so they might like native Vive support in their SDK.
Steam might like to keep selling lots of games to lots of people so they'd prefer it if Oculus didn't have native support for the Vive in their SDK.
Steam might like to sell more games to Oculus owners so might like native Oculus support in their SDK.
Oculus might like to keep as many customers as possible so might not want Steam to have native Rift support in their SDK.

Only heresay, but in a capitalist, commercial, profit and dividend driven world, to assume that any organisation is looking out for the user, consumer, person, is usually a mistake.

As with most other platforms, Valve and Facebook are commercial competitors, and it's the consumers who will continue to lose out until either one of them, or a newcomer, achieves some kind of dominance.

We have SteamVR that has nothing more really than, similar to your assessment of Revive, a suboptimal but highly appreciated compatibility hack for the Rift. SteamVR doesn't have native Rift support and Oculus store doesn't have native Vive support. Steam sells games that are not available on Oculus, so Rift owners have to suffer the Steam wrapper hack to play them.

Oculus compatibility in SteamVR is a hack, a wrapper, just like Revive. It's not native support.

Oculus might like to sell more games to more people so they might like native Vive support in their SDK.
Steam might like to keep selling lots of games to lots of people so they'd prefer it if Oculus didn't have native support for the Vive in their SDK.
Steam might like to sell more games to Oculus owners so might like native Oculus support in their SDK.
Oculus might like to keep as many customers as possible so might not want Steam to have native Rift support in their SDK.

Only heresay, but in a capitalist, commercial, profit and dividend driven world, to assume that any organisation is looking out for the user, consumer, person, is usually a mistake.

As with most other platforms, Valve and Facebook are commercial competitors, and it's the consumers who will continue to lose out until either one of them, or a newcomer, achieves some kind of dominance.
I think we'll need Microsoft to get in and push for a native windows support for VR, maybe even include it in DirectX libraries, this would probably make both Oculus and Vive adhere to a standard

OpenXR are supposed to be the standard that integrate all VR and AR headset's to a common API

In the meantime a small studio made KartKraft with 3 programmer and 3 artist got SteamVR Vive and WMR support and native Rift support.
So multiply API's is not the issue.
The issue here is that Facebook paid CM not to include support for none Rift headsets!
I guess they get a paid back with your personal data!

• Deleted member 197115

I remember at some point OpenVR outperforming native SDK on Rift, so much for the hack.
OpenVR is official SDK meant to support all HMDs, Vive, Oculus, WMR, Pimax. Don't see any point of not implementing it first unless you are pushing exclusivity agenda.
But Codies post says it all, Oculus listened, money talks.
I am really surprised anyone can see it as a positive thing for consumers and VR industry.

I remember at some point OpenVR outperforming native SDK on Rift, so much for the hack.
OpenVR is official SDK meant to support all HMDs, Vive, Oculus, WMR, Pimax. Don't see any point of not implementing it first unless you are pushing exclusivity agenda.
I am really surprised anyone can see it as a positive thing for consumers and VR industry.
We don't know if it's a timed exclusive of full exclusive or even any solid confirmation of exclusivity has even been mentioned.
You are only looking at this in binary when really it's a bit of a prisoner's dilemma, it isn't the best result but it's better than the worst.

Positive for VR consumers because they'll be able to play the game in VR?

If the Oculus money didn't come in, there'd be no Dirt Rally 2 VR so nobody could play in VR.

rFactor2 implements VR through SteamVR which has a hack layer that enables Rift support. It's not native, it doesn't perform particularly well but it's way better than nothing from a Rift point of view.

Your assumption / opinion.

Don't present this as fact unless you can substantiate it.

Are you really that naive that you think Codemaster are listing to Oculus / Facebook and implemented Rift support only, because they where such nice people!

They make DR 1 run on Mac, Linux and Windows.
So even the 1-2 % of gamer's that are not using Windows can/ will buy.
But leaves out +50% of VR users because it is just not worth it.
And that is a percentage that is growing every day!

They have all rights in the world to do that and we have the right not to support that kind of studio!

Are you really that naive that you think Codemaster are listing to Oculus / Facebook and implemented Rift support only, because they where such nice people!

They make DR 1 run on Mac, Linux and Windows.
So even the 1-2 % of gamer's that are not using Windows can/ will buy.
But leaves out +50% of VR users because it is just not worth it.
And that is a percentage that is growing every day!

They have all rights in the world to do that and we have the right not to support that kind of studio!

So you can't substantiate it then?

As I understand it, Dirt Rally 2 got made without VR support.
People got upset.
Oculus possibly offered some money to add support for the Oculus Rift into the game
Codemasters accepted the money.

So Oculus paid Codemasters to include support for the Oculus Rift.
Where have Oculus said 'you must not support other headsets'?

• Deleted member 197115

Positive for VR consumers because they'll be able to play the game in VR?

If the Oculus money didn't come in, there'd be no Dirt Rally 2 VR so nobody could play in VR.

rFactor2 implements VR through SteamVR which has a hack layer that enables Rift support. It's not native, it doesn't perform particularly well but it's way better than nothing from a Rift point of view.
Why do you keep calling official support for Rift and other HMDs in OpenVR a "hack".
OpenVR 101
It's open SDK/platform, when Oculus on the other hand is completely closed except barely working revive community effort.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 429 16.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 286 11.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 280 10.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 194 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 328 12.8%