DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT 2.0: VR Update Now Live

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Codemasters have released their free VR support update for DiRT Rally 2.0.

Available to download from either the DiRT Rally 2.0 Steam page or buy via the Oculus Store, a new update for DiRT Rally 2.0 is here - adding long awaited support for the inclusion of virtual reality to the game for the very first time.

When DR2.0 launched back in February, plenty of the community were up in arms about the lack of VR support for the title, which was particularly galling considering the very solid implementation Codemasters produced for the first DiRT Rally release - and now that situation has been fixed thanks to a major new, free, update for the title.

Having promised players that a post launch VR update would be brought to the DiRT 2.0 in the months after the game released, Codemasters have now come good on that promise - yesterday dropping the surprise update for players to download and use with immediate effect.

Initially expected to be exclusive to Oculus Rift, the new VR patch has a wider scope than first anticipated, adding OpenVR support to the title to allow different types of VR headset to be used within the game.

Also available in the new V1.7 update comes new liveries and the DirtFish location as a Test Drive location. To access the location select [Garage] from the My Team main menu, and then [Vehicle Options] and [Test Drive].

DirtFish is expected to be added to Freeplay in a future update. There are currently no plans to add it to Multiplayer and VR support for PS4 is not something under consideration by the studio.

DiRT 2.0 Update 1.7 2.jpg
DiRT 2.0 Update 1.7.jpg

DiRT 2.0 is available for Xbox One, PS4 and PC now.

Check the DiRT 2.0 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for news, mods and community discussion about this excellent rally game.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
On VR improvement, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Look at the players number, with all that no VR no buy, it's supposed to be booming, but it made no diffetence at all.
https://steamcharts.com/app/690790

And to be honest, OpenVR version works reasonably well, at least on WMR, can't vouch for others. Better than ACC for sure.

It took 5 minutes to realize the VR implementation is not worth driving at all. Such visits don't raise the numbers too much..

• Deleted member 197115

It does require some tweaking but it's worth it. Wondering what other driving titles people come from and with what expectations. For details heavy, quickly changing scenery and all those weather effects, DR 2.0 is doing very well.
Yeah, they could do a better job with optimization for sure, I agree. Trying to work around with what we have now and was able to make game look darn good with stable 90 fps.
I am happy. Thanks Codemasters!!! :thumbsup:

It does require some tweaking but it's worth it. Wondering what other driving titles people come from and with what expectations. For details heavy, quickly changing scenery and all those weather effects, DR 2.0 is doing very well.
Yeah, they could do a better job with optimization for sure, I agree. Trying to work around with what we have now and was able to make game look darn good with stable 90 fps.
I am happy. Thanks Codemasters!!! :thumbsup:

When CPU load is 35%, GPU load 55% and image low FPS stuttery crap you know there's no solutions to make it driveable.

This happens so rarely, that I decided to eternalize the result here, sorry. :p

w0om77.jpg

Familiar stage, first time with the car. I believe it was my 4th effort (1st effort was 12th). You know you have nailed the set-up when you are immediately that high up the leaderboard. Usually I'm around 50th. (Btw, I bet those first two are not "legal" times.. :cautious:)

When CPU load is 35%, GPU load 55% and image low FPS stuttery crap you know there's no solutions to make it driveable.
Since you probably have a multi core CPU the overall load might be misleading, because one core might be already at 95-100% load.

To those of you having performance issues, turn every setting down to the lowest possible and leave the resolution scale at 100%. If performance is still bad, then it is a hardware or software setup issue (or your system is simply below min requirements). If it is good, work your way through each graphic option separately, to find out what is causing problems. If you left some headroom with the detail setting, apply supersamplin and check performance on a stage that is most demanding (supposedly Wales during rain). If possible still leave some headroom in both CPU (core) and GPU load (90% at max) and you should be mostly fine regarding stuttering.

Since you probably have a multi core CPU the overall load might be misleading, because one core might be already at 95-100% load.

To those of you having performance issues, turn every setting down to the lowest possible and leave the resolution scale at 100%. If performance is still bad, then it is a hardware or software setup issue (or your system is simply below min requirements). If it is good, work your way through each graphic option separately, to find out what is causing problems. If you left some headroom with the detail setting, apply supersamplin and check performance on a stage that is most demanding (supposedly Wales during rain). If possible still leave some headroom in both CPU (core) and GPU load (90% at max) and you should be mostly fine regarding stuttering.

I was talking about CPU core loads. Codemasters games seems to behave like heavily CPU bound even when all cores are showing lowish load figures.

I was talking about CPU core loads. Codemasters games seems to behave like heavily CPU bound even when all cores are showing lowish load figures.
Welcome to the wonderful world of multi-core CPUs. On a 8 core hyperthreaded CPU, you can be CPU bound with the overall CPU load as low as 6 %, and thanks to the magic of thread scheduling, also with no core showing close to 100% load on a simple CPU usage monitor.

I highly doubt that will happen as then it'll end the Oculus "Exclusive" version, therefore negating the need to buy it on their Store which Oculus would not be happy about, they probably have a Deal for a long time.
Overall it's a monumental discombobulated screw up beyond comprehension by Codies!

Thankfully, this post didn't age well, Oculus SDK coming to the Steam version next week. :D

It is a rather bizarre situation. I'd presume they didn't include it at first to save money, but then they ended up (presumably) paying Oculus to develop the VR part and now Codies have been screwing around with it to make it work on Steam. Gotta wonder if they actually ended up saving any costs in the end.

I wonder whether the Codemasters management simply underestimated the backlash, thinking nobody would make any noticeable fuss because vr user base is small and Rift users would just go buy the Oculus version ? Glad they had a change of heart anyway.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back