• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Featured DiRT 2.0: VR Update Now Live

Discussion in 'DiRT Rally 2.0' started by Paul Jeffrey, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT

Ratings:
    +573
    Updated my VR settings guide.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Ville-Samuli Mutanen

Ville-Samuli Mutanen
    Premium

Ratings:
    +192
    It took 5 minutes to realize the VR implementation is not worth driving at all. Such visits don't raise the numbers too much..

3. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT

Ratings:
    +573
    It does require some tweaking but it's worth it. Wondering what other driving titles people come from and with what expectations. For details heavy, quickly changing scenery and all those weather effects, DR 2.0 is doing very well.
    Yeah, they could do a better job with optimization for sure, I agree. Trying to work around with what we have now and was able to make game look darn good with stable 90 fps.
    I am happy. Thanks Codemasters!!! :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ville-Samuli Mutanen

Ville-Samuli Mutanen
    Premium

Ratings:
    +192
    When CPU load is 35%, GPU load 55% and image low FPS stuttery crap you know there's no solutions to make it driveable.

5. Neil Farren

Neil Farren

Ratings:
    +99
    I can get it to run at a buttery smooth 90fps at high preset with some options pushed to ultra so maybe you just haven't tried very hard?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT

Ratings:
    +573
    May be it's USB related. There is a pinned thread on Steam on that issue and workaround.

7. blanes

blanes

Ratings:
    +157
    What are your specs Neil ? That is fantastic ! What hmd etc. and you are talking about the Steam version running without any ASW or Reprojection ?

8. Neil Farren

Neil Farren

Ratings:
    +99
    • Like Like x 1
  9. FernandoAFM

FernandoAFM
    The CP Driver Premium

Ratings:
    +107
    Thank you guys!

10. AadHofman

AadHofman

Ratings:
    +179
    This happens so rarely, that I decided to eternalize the result here, sorry. :p

[​IMG]

Familiar stage, first time with the car. I believe it was my 4th effort (1st effort was 12th). You know you have nailed the set-up when you are immediately that high up the leaderboard. Usually I'm around 50th. (Btw, I bet those first two are not "legal" times.. :cautious:)

• Beer Beer x 1
  11. Peter.

Peter.
    Premium

Ratings:
    +23
    tried that and stopping oculus in processes..Tries to launch in steam VR cant turn steam vr off..

12. AadHofman

AadHofman

Ratings:
    +179
    In your hardware_settings_config.xml, set vr enabled="false", if you want 2D.

13. Birdy

Birdy

Ratings:
    +0
    Since you probably have a multi core CPU the overall load might be misleading, because one core might be already at 95-100% load.

To those of you having performance issues, turn every setting down to the lowest possible and leave the resolution scale at 100%. If performance is still bad, then it is a hardware or software setup issue (or your system is simply below min requirements). If it is good, work your way through each graphic option separately, to find out what is causing problems. If you left some headroom with the detail setting, apply supersamplin and check performance on a stage that is most demanding (supposedly Wales during rain). If possible still leave some headroom in both CPU (core) and GPU load (90% at max) and you should be mostly fine regarding stuttering.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Ville-Samuli Mutanen

Ville-Samuli Mutanen
    Premium

Ratings:
    +192
    I was talking about CPU core loads. Codemasters games seems to behave like heavily CPU bound even when all cores are showing lowish load figures.

15. Neilski

Neilski
    Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +702
    Huh? What exactly would you expect to see if a game is genuinely CPU-bound?

16. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Premium

Ratings:
    +4,597
    Welcome to the wonderful world of multi-core CPUs. On a 8 core hyperthreaded CPU, you can be CPU bound with the overall CPU load as low as 6 %, and thanks to the magic of thread scheduling, also with no core showing close to 100% load on a simple CPU usage monitor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright
    I may not be fast, but I'm wide!

Ratings:
    +1,840
    Thankfully, this post didn't age well, Oculus SDK coming to the Steam version next week. :D

• Like Like x 2
  18. MarcG

MarcG
    Premium

Ratings:
    +787
    haha yeah very true, kinda makes the Oculus Store version obsolete especially if they cant keep up with all the Steam sales :D

• Like Like x 1
  19. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright
    I may not be fast, but I'm wide!

Ratings:
    +1,840
    It is a rather bizarre situation. I'd presume they didn't include it at first to save money, but then they ended up (presumably) paying Oculus to develop the VR part and now Codies have been screwing around with it to make it work on Steam. Gotta wonder if they actually ended up saving any costs in the end.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. blanes

blanes

Ratings:
    +157
    I wonder whether the Codemasters management simply underestimated the backlash, thinking nobody would make any noticeable fuss because vr user base is small and Rift users would just go buy the Oculus version ? Glad they had a change of heart anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.