DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT 2.0: VR Update Now Live

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Codemasters have released their free VR support update for DiRT Rally 2.0.

Available to download from either the DiRT Rally 2.0 Steam page or buy via the Oculus Store, a new update for DiRT Rally 2.0 is here - adding long awaited support for the inclusion of virtual reality to the game for the very first time.

When DR2.0 launched back in February, plenty of the community were up in arms about the lack of VR support for the title, which was particularly galling considering the very solid implementation Codemasters produced for the first DiRT Rally release - and now that situation has been fixed thanks to a major new, free, update for the title.

Having promised players that a post launch VR update would be brought to the DiRT 2.0 in the months after the game released, Codemasters have now come good on that promise - yesterday dropping the surprise update for players to download and use with immediate effect.

Initially expected to be exclusive to Oculus Rift, the new VR patch has a wider scope than first anticipated, adding OpenVR support to the title to allow different types of VR headset to be used within the game.

Also available in the new V1.7 update comes new liveries and the DirtFish location as a Test Drive location. To access the location select [Garage] from the My Team main menu, and then [Vehicle Options] and [Test Drive].

DirtFish is expected to be added to Freeplay in a future update. There are currently no plans to add it to Multiplayer and VR support for PS4 is not something under consideration by the studio.

DiRT 2.0 Update 1.7 2.jpg
DiRT 2.0 Update 1.7.jpg

DiRT 2.0 is available for Xbox One, PS4 and PC now.

Check the DiRT 2.0 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for news, mods and community discussion about this excellent rally game.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Why do you blame Codies?
You can thank Oculus for sponsoring VR conversion and actually allowing OpenVR version, and hate them for keeping native Oculus implementation in their own walled garden, guess that was main part of the deal.
Well, unless Codies were owned by Oculus/FB (they aren't, right?) it seems entirely reasonable to blame them, because it's their customers who are being shafted because of a decision that they have taken to give some weird kind of exclusive deal to another firm and splitting the userbase. I don't think I'm understanding you at all here - who else could possibly be held to blame for this outcome?

• Deleted member 197115

They never planned VR for DR 2.0 until Oculus stepped in.
Famous "Oculus heard you"
https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/1093872075318558722?lang=en
The conversion was done by subcontractor, more than likely again picked up by Oculus (check the Oculus logo on linked page).
So it's all Oculus, money, labor, without them we wouldn't have VR at all.
OpenVR support was really unexpected and nice gift, suspect Codies insisted on that as part of the deal.

On a side note, from some random Steam posts, Oculus version is not really that better than Steam, but I don't own FB evil creation to confirm.

How do you play without Steam VR?
Sorry, I didn't see this sooner to respond.... But, check your steam VR settings to make sure it does not autoload and then simply click steam VR off if it is on. Then load DR 2.0.

I personally find that the VR implementation of Dirt Rally 2.0 requires more than my older i7 and nvidia GTX 980 are capable of... Andrew's settings worked wonders but the lower frame rates and pop ins leave me a little green. So, I am now looking for a new system capable of running DR 2.0 in VR on an Oculus Rift S at 80+ fps in medium or higher settings. Yep. This $60 game is gonna cost me a bundle...

• Deleted member 197115

Sorry, I didn't see this sooner to respond.... But, check your steam VR settings to make sure it does not autoload and then simply click steam VR off if it is on. Then load DR 2.0.

I personally find that the VR implementation of Dirt Rally 2.0 requires more than my older i7 and nvidia GTX 980 are capable of... Andrew's settings worked wonders but the lower frame rates and pop ins leave me a little green. So, I am now looking for a new system capable of running DR 2.0 in VR on an Oculus Rift S at 80+ fps in medium or higher settings. Yep. This $60 game is gonna cost me a bundle...
Some sensible setting here.

Why do you blame Codies?
Because it's their game and they have the final say on everything they do with it. They made the choice to, as someone else aptly put it, "sell out" to Oculus. In other words, they chose profit over respect for their loyal customers. Combine that with the things others have mentioned, and it just adds up to incredibly poor customer service from a company that keeps on showing that they really aren't fussed about us at all.

They're relying on their previously good name to keep the cash coming in. They know, like most big devs, that these days there are far too many people that will throw money at them no matter what they do or how they do it, moaning ineffectually on internet forums all the while. Well, I don't buy into that so I'm one of the few that still votes with my wallet. It won't make any difference to them, but it makes me feel better to not reward them for their bad practices.

No VR no buy? Nope. No respect no buy. :thumbsdown:

Codemasters should really be ashamed of themselfes. For sure VR is still in it´s babyshoes, just learning to walk. There aren´t much poeple using VR so far, but in my opinion, it´s indispensable for racing games. I just can´t go back anymore. That said, a game company like codemasters should have done the VR Support themselves and without waiting the buyers to ask for it.If they continue this road, they will get in much more trouble soon.

DR 2.0 runs really bad on my rig. I´ve tried the -oculus startup option, which improved the gameplay but it´s still not enjoyable. For me it´s a big dissapointment, i´m really pissed at the moment.

• Deleted member 197115

Codemasters should really be ashamed of themselfes. For sure VR is still in it´s babyshoes, just learning to walk. There aren´t much poeple using VR so far, but in my opinion, it´s indispensable for racing games. I just can´t go back anymore. That said, a game company like codemasters should have done the VR Support themselves and without waiting the buyers to ask for it.If they continue this road, they will get in much more trouble soon.

DR 2.0 runs really bad on my rig. I´ve tried the -oculus startup option, which improved the gameplay but it´s still not enjoyable. For me it´s a big dissapointment, i´m really pissed at the moment.
Guys seeing improvement with -vrmode Oculus:
- what headsets are you using.
- what is your mirror resolution, 1080p?
- do you launch from SteamHome, you shouldn't and it's better to have it disabled for good

If all of the above followed, can you record stats for run with it on and off, same stage, with something like fpsVR.

if you want to get rid of these micro stutters then apply the workaround USB fix:disable one USB input from the device manager, once the right one has been found then no more stutters.
Codemasters what are you doing? This bug is not new, when do you release a fix?

The -vrmode Oculus is a placebo, sorry but it cannot and does not work simply because its implementation in other games relies on the Oculus SDK being either integrated into the code or available via a call to the Oculus api. DRally2.0 for Steam only has OpenVR support and this also was stated clearly in the vr faq. The 2 versions are mutually exclusive for now but hopefully Codies come to their senses and update the Steam version with integrated Oculus SDK.

On my i6700K and Oc'd 1080 I have found the best results by using the Oculus debug tool to Force 45 fps ASW. 2xMSAA (MFAA on in Nvidia cpl) with 130% SS via SteamVR and Ultra/High settings and I am getting incredibly smooth gameplay with only minor judder/stutters at the very start on a few tracks but once racing the mix of Ultra/High settings really make the track & environment come alive as it looks fantastic and the locked 45 frames per eye has fooled me its 90 fps which totally surprised me.

I had never at all tried Forced 45 fps ASW before but for the past week I had been testing & frigging about with every setting under the sun and still only ended up with Low everything with fpsVR showing mostly 90fps with infrequent but sudden drops to 80 and less which are jarring and really upset the immersion.

I know most of us rigidly stick to attaining 90fps with no ASW but honestly give this a try and you may be very surprised ! For me its enough to enjoy VR rallying until Codemasters eventually sort this properly.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Another tip.
If MSAA is too hard on your system stomach, use CMAA AND force FXAA in driver on a top of it.
Very pleasing result with very little if any overhead.
CMAA alone or no AA at all can be quite distracting with all these jaggies.
You can also try to use just FXAA.

CMAA is very economical + add SteamVR SS and it looks pretty good. To my eyes FXAA blurs too much and you lose image crispness. Also turning MFAA on in Nvidia Cpl lowers the processing cost when using any in game msaa and it looks just as good.

After my experience with Forced 45fps ASW I am wondering if the reason the Oculus store version is so much higher in graphical quality is possibly due to the release in April of the upgraded Oculus ASW 2.0 ? Just a theory, no proof.

www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-asw-2-point-0-better-accuracy-lower-latency/?locale=en_US

It requires data on depth layers per app so Oculus probably wants to keep that for their exclusive version atm although no reason it could not be integrated into the Steam version with an updated Oculus SDK. This could be a reason why there appears such a noticeable improvement, according to more than a few reports now where some people have both versions to compare.

• Deleted member 197115

I haven't noticed much of a difference with CMAA on and off.
Yes, FXAA in general adds some blur, ideally you want MSAAx4, that cleans up everything pretty well, or as an option MSAAx2 + MFAA.
The problem is that they are way too expensive. And CMAA + SS or SS alone looks like **** with crawling pixels and jaggies all over place.
FXAA does smooth things out to surprisingly good results, I'd say more pleasing than MSAAx2 without MFAA and gives huge performance boost.
I am extremely pleased with the results, this is Odyssey+ with 150% SS.

Yeah I think the solution of best possible image quality is dependant on the hmd being used. For Rift CV1 my settings work well and the ASW is pretty amazing it seems.

My tests with fpsVR find 2xMSAA with mfaa On has a minimal effect on gpu or cpu power. I will also try your suggestion of cmaa + forced fxaa to see how it looks and performs for comparison.

• Deleted member 197115

Yeah, that's what I have used and recommended originally, almost the same quality as MSAAx4. But still too expensive on some stages if you are aiming for 90fps.
CMAA+FXAA at 90 fps beats anything else at 45fps.
Just another surprisingly well working option to try.
I'd guess in reprojection mode it would look horrible though.

The 2 versions are mutually exclusive for now but hopefully Codies come to their senses and update the Steam version with integrated Oculus SDK.

I highly doubt that will happen as then it'll end the Oculus "Exclusive" version, therefore negating the need to buy it on their Store which Oculus would not be happy about, they probably have a Deal for a long time.
Overall it's a monumental discombobulated screw up beyond comprehension by Codies!

I know Marc and you probably are correct sadly ... but I am hoping they are not such F-wits and if there is any chance then they will update the Oculus SDK like every other recent sim ie. pCars2, ACC and KartKraft (which is brilliant btw).

What annoys me about it is the total lack of transparency in telling everyone back when VR was announced. At least then we probably would not have purchased but waited to see how good the SteamVR implementation turned out.

No matter what happens they still need to properly fix & tune the OpenVR code as it surely has capacity to run much smoother and better than it currently does. My next vr headset will not be an Oculus but most likely the new Vive so I have no desire to buy anything from the Oculus store.

• Deleted member 197115

On VR improvement, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Look at the players number, with all that no VR no buy, it's supposed to be booming, but it made no diffetence at all.
https://steamcharts.com/app/690790

And to be honest, OpenVR version works reasonably well, at least on WMR, can't vouch for others. Better than ACC for sure.

Yeah I think the solution of best possible image quality is dependant on the hmd being used. For Rift CV1 my settings work well and the ASW is pretty amazing it seems.

My tests with fpsVR find 2xMSAA with mfaa On has a minimal effect on gpu or cpu power. I will also try your suggestion of cmaa + forced fxaa to see how it looks and performs for comparison.

Thanks, locking ASW on has helped when almost nothing else has. It has taken away most of the stutters. Now I need to see how high I can turn the settings back up.

And to be honest, OpenVR version works reasonably well, at least on WMR, can't vouch for others. Better than ACC for sure.

ACC works much better for me. With one car it is locked on 90. I think that it drops in a race but I have not needed to force ASW on and can drive for hours without getting nauseous. I haven't tried the SteamVR version with my rift. I should give that a go and see how it compares.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 97 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 73 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 78 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 50 6.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 106 13.7%