DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT 2.0: VR Update Now Live

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Codemasters have released their free VR support update for DiRT Rally 2.0.

Available to download from either the DiRT Rally 2.0 Steam page or buy via the Oculus Store, a new update for DiRT Rally 2.0 is here - adding long awaited support for the inclusion of virtual reality to the game for the very first time.

When DR2.0 launched back in February, plenty of the community were up in arms about the lack of VR support for the title, which was particularly galling considering the very solid implementation Codemasters produced for the first DiRT Rally release - and now that situation has been fixed thanks to a major new, free, update for the title.

Having promised players that a post launch VR update would be brought to the DiRT 2.0 in the months after the game released, Codemasters have now come good on that promise - yesterday dropping the surprise update for players to download and use with immediate effect.

Initially expected to be exclusive to Oculus Rift, the new VR patch has a wider scope than first anticipated, adding OpenVR support to the title to allow different types of VR headset to be used within the game.

Also available in the new V1.7 update comes new liveries and the DirtFish location as a Test Drive location. To access the location select [Garage] from the My Team main menu, and then [Vehicle Options] and [Test Drive].

DirtFish is expected to be added to Freeplay in a future update. There are currently no plans to add it to Multiplayer and VR support for PS4 is not something under consideration by the studio.

DiRT 2.0 Update 1.7 2.jpg
DiRT 2.0 Update 1.7.jpg

DiRT 2.0 is available for Xbox One, PS4 and PC now.

Check the DiRT 2.0 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for news, mods and community discussion about this excellent rally game.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Thanks for sharing them.
Do you know how can I reduce the 'popping in' of the trees?
Moving LOD (popping) is pretty bad, esp. on ground cover. Even Ultra settings don't help.
Not sure if there is a solution. Too bad as it doesn't seem that noticeable on flat screen.
Guess it was performance saving measure.

Moving LOD (popping) is pretty bad, esp. on ground cover. Even Ultra settings don't help.
Not sure if there is a solution. Too bad as it doesn't seem that noticeable on flat screen.
Guess it was performance saving measure.
And with higher trees quality is even more noticeable.

What's causing me nausea is the not adjustable lock-to-something (I'm not so sure it's locked to horizon now, seems like an half way). You miss AC's RHM when you don't have it

• Deleted member 197115

On windowed vs full screen mirror recommendation from Codies.
Does anyone see any difference, positive or otherwise?
DR2.0 does not have any benchmark tool for proper measure but I have tried that in AC and had repeatably better performance in Full Screen mode recorded by FpsVR.
Makes me question their other "recommendations" from FAQ.

I'm still playing with settings, but it appears that I'm still CPU limited with my i9-9900K. I'm having trouble getting my 1080Ti above 80%. I'm done messing with it for now. I had it looked pretty darn good and then I read Andrew's post and those settings must work better for WMR than the Index. So I'm going to go back to where I was.

Just read the FAQ. What kind of hokey horseshit is the decision to make the Steam and Oculus versions NOT compatible via multiplayer etc? **** Codemasters.

And thats not even mentioning the BS of Oculus store buyers getting the Oculus SDK etc etc....wtf?

• Deleted member 197115

I'm still playing with settings, but it appears that I'm still CPU limited with my i9-9900K. I'm having trouble getting my 1080Ti above 80%. I'm done messing with it for now. I had it looked pretty darn good and then I read Andrew's post and those settings must work better for WMR than the Index. So I'm going to go back to where I was.
Keep in mind that every stage is different, what works flawlessly on one, can fail miserably on another.
So far I've found rainy, foresty Wales the most challenging that requires dropping trees quality, etc.
Start with Medium preset and go from there. It's a balancing act as performance is not consistent across stages and weather conditions.
I could never make DR1 run decently via Revive, was it significantly better?
Wondering if Codies already washed their hands of performance.

I got DR1 to work pretty well under revive, but I think DR2 looks a bit better.

The NLRv3 queues are a but weaker and needed to be turned up.

I think I picked up my copy for 40% off.

I just started to get decent results placing second in a stage. Of course my car hasn't even got the first upgrade installed.

I really don't understand why they've released two different VR versions of the game, when the vast majority of other VR games on Steam offer both versions in one. It's a real PITA for people that prefer to keep all their games in one place, not to mention a total screwing over of all the Oculus owners that bought the game on Steam initially expecting this VR patch. I was almost one of them during various sales, but decided to wait until their VR promise was actually fulfilled. Now I don't want to buy it at all because I hate companies that pull this kind of BS.

It can only be due to some kind of BS deal regarding exclusivity or something, proving that CM don't care about anything but profit, profit and profit. So to hell with them. My interest in this game is dead, and I won't be taking much interest in future CM products either. Do any big devs actually respect their customers anymore? Seems not. :poop:

Gotta agree this was a royal fook up on Codies part. Least they could have done is told us what they were doing beforehand but then the strategy all along was to delay the inevitable rage I guess.

The marketing type folk really have their heads firmly inserted into their rectums to not be able to see that this is a really dumb strategy in such a niche market as vr sim racing and sim racers are probably more crotchety & grouchy than your average gamer when funk turns ugly ! :geek: Well I am anyway :O_o:

I would guess the guys at CM doing the hard yards programming this stuff would be gutted because these type decisions are nothing to do with them and I am sure they would be hoping we got the best possible version for our particular HMD so you gotta feel for them as they have ratcheted up the quality since the first title. Really hope Codies sort their crap into one sock and fix this soon.

Yup, this is just beyond belief.
When the first posts showed up in this thread, suggesting that people would have to shell out again, I simply thought "nah, it's a misunderstanding, will be cleared up rapidly". I felt certain that it couldn't possibly be real.
Guess I wasn't cynical enough :(

Would be great if Codies could explain themselves, here or anywhere. Do you guys know if they have already posted any kind of explanation/apology for this insanity?

Would be great if Codies could explain themselves, here or anywhere. Do you guys know if they have already posted any kind of explanation/apology for this insanity?
I've seen responses from CM and their reps on various VR-related questions and issues, yet they've blatantly ignored everyone asking about the reason for two versions, and if Steam users will eventually get the Oculus version added in on that platform. They're also ignoring everyone who asks why the Oculus version is currently £45 while the Steam version is on sale at just £22.50.

So as with most big companies (and politicians, incidentally) they just ignore the awkward questions regarding their lack of respect and piss-poor decision making. Surprise.

• Deleted member 197115

Why do you blame Codies?
You can thank Oculus for sponsoring VR conversion and actually allowing OpenVR version, and hate them for keeping native Oculus implementation in their own walled garden, guess that was main part of the deal.
They can just improve their OpenVR driver but that would mean no exlusivity. This is FB, customers always come last.

Why do you blame Codies?
You can thank Oculus for sponsoring VR conversion and actually allowing OpenVR version, and hate them for keeping native Oculus implementation in their own walled garden, guess that was main part of the deal.
They can just improve their OpenVR driver but that would mean no exlusivity. This is FB, customers always come last.

We wouldn't be having this conversation if Codies included VR from the very start which they were more than capable of doing, instead they've "sold out" to Oculus Exclusivity which in reality isn't Exclusive at all as it's available on Steam...the whole release of a VR Version on Oculus is therefore pointless. It's Codies doing, all Oculus are doing is trying to grow their Store Base just the same way Epic are currently, but Codies have stuffed up massively here.

This is exactly why I trust the smaller more independent Devs like our Beloved Studio397/Kunos/Reiza etc, at least they have a handle on Life unlike Codies!

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.4%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.4%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 14 6.6%