Did you Actually get a RTX3080/90? How?

I'm having a little sulk today after unwrapping my card to have a closer look over it. I've noticed a little gouge on the edge of the backplate. Difficult to see at a distance

IMG-20201118-WA0000.jpeg

But if you look a little closer

IMG-20201118-WA0004.jpeg

It's one of those things where once you know it's there, it's the only thing you can see when you look at it :O_o:

I'm having a little sulk today after unwrapping my card to have a closer look over it. I've noticed a little gouge on the edge of the backplate. Difficult to see at a distance

View attachment 421781

But if you look a little closer

View attachment 421782

It's one of those things where once you know it's there, it's the only thing you can see when you look at it :O_o:
I have a Gigabyte 3080 that is 5 days old, without a scratch. I'd be prepared to do a straight swop to help you out mate :))

Just the 3080. My pockets aren't deep enough to go for the big boy :)
Mine neither :-(( The 3090 would interest me due to the 24Gb of VRAM: in rF2 with my 1080 with 8Gb VRAM, rF2 took it all. My new 3080 has 10 GB VRAM, and rF2 takes it all.It would interest me to see how much it really takes, maybe 23.9Gb? :))

Mine neither :-(( The 3090 would interest me due to the 24Gb of VRAM: in rF2 with my 1080 with 8Gb VRAM, rF2 took it all. My new 3080 has 10 GB VRAM, and rF2 takes it all.It would interest me to see how much it really takes, maybe 23.9Gb? :))

The memory allocation and memory use are two different things. It seems like rF2 would allocate the 3090 VRAM fully as well, but that has nothing to do with performance.

The memory allocation and memory use are two different things. It seems like rF2 would allocate the 3090 VRAM fully as well, but that has nothing to do with performance.
I'm very happy with the VR performance in rF2 now with the 3080, it's a quantum leap compared to my 1080, the difference has to be seen to be believed :)

My new 3080 has 10 GB VRAM, and rF2 takes it all.It would interest me to see how much it really takes, maybe 23.9Gb? :))
With triple 4k monitors on the 3090, rF2 maxes at about 13 GB, depending on how many cars you have and which track. Nurburgring combined with 42 AI was under 12+ GB and every AI added is about 600 MB more (current tech, older are less).

Last edited:
Was the 3090 actually available on Amazon at retail price. USA? Or did you pay the skip the line price?

No sorry, I'm in the UK. 3090's keep cropping up on Amazon UK quite regular at MSRP sold by Amazon. I've been using a stock tracker website that send me stock alerts for various retailers. 3080's in the UK have been a bit scarce.

I managed to get one via a stock alert and the supplier CCL had a good checkout system that auto retries 150 times for you every three seconds so you don't have to keep pressing F5. I was quite surprised when it finally said it's in your basket, you have 15 minutes to checkout. Luck.

There hasn't been much movement on the 3080s on overcockers, I moved something like 4 positions since last week. I'm seeing all those 3090s in stock and now I'm starting to talk myself into getting one of them instead because it looks like there's no chance of getting a 3080 this side of the new year.

I'm asking myself if these cards hold their value? Will it be relevant much longer than a 3080? People seem to have gotten their moneys worth out of the 1080ti, if I could skip a generation maybe it's worth it.

It's a lot of money though. I don't think I'd be able to sell it when I can get my hands on a 3080 either, wouldn't feel right to step down and probably lose money doing it. I don't think I've spent that on a complete PC never mind a card.

I've had the same conversation and some Turk. Scan are selling systems at £2,800 with a 3090 @ 10900k (Ryzen 5900's are as rare as 3080's) and trying to justify the increase from just getting a 3090 and putting it in my current setup. I've not done it though, and can't (of course) justify it.

The issue I have with the 3090 is will the rest of my PC keep up, from power to processor to cooling, I'm not sure it will cope. If it doesn't then it will clock back (or bomb the PC if it's a power issue) and then I have more problems that I've solved.

My G2 is due to arrive next week, and I'm sure my 1080 Ti won't deliver a satisfying result in ACC, so my desire to move is strong. Unfortunately there are 850 people (30 less than this time last week) in the queue in front of me for the 3080 I've ordered, so I'm going to stop focusing on the problem, stick the G2 in a cupboard when it arrives, and look to having it all working by March...

I'm on a 8086K at 5ghz, I've spent the last few weeks doing some cleaning and upgrading in preparation, replaced old hard drives with M2 ones, finally got around to doing a proper overclock. I don't have my sim rig set up all the time, so can't do a full ACC VR test on the OC (rift CV), might just try running it in 4K instead.

I wouldn't be too worried about a bit of a bottleneck if it means a bit of future proofing. I'm at a bit of a dead end with my motherboard and CPU, if I do need an upgrade I'll have to replace motherboard/CPU/RAM. At the moment though the bottleneck seems to be GC.

I'm really hoping to have something for over the Christmas break, I have two weeks off and after that finding time will be the issue again.

I'm in a similar place. 8700k, but I have a couple of M.2's that I use (O/S and Games) so everything works really well. I just know that a 3090 will push it past the limit and I can't justify paying £1,600 and getting the performance of a 3080

All very sensible. I guess I have a few more weeks to decide, if the 3090s are in stock I should be able to get one with 5 days. But I really don't see them getting in nearly 300 units of the 3080 I'm waiting for before Christmas, they're a shipment behind already and that's just for less than 10 units.

I was checking Nvidia's site occasionally and the 3090 came up in stock and i clicked, It all felt a bit impulsive.
I admit i liked the card from the start and appears to be more 'reasonable' than a lot of the others that have experienced a price hike. Certainly not value for money.

I am really happy with the performance, 85 FPS triple 1440 @144hz epic settings with ACC. I have yet to run a full grid though. 100 FPS with high settings again no full grid yet. Coming from a 5700XT its quite the boost.

I too picked up a chance link from the nvidia site, Lucky me they had a 3090 of the brand i wanted that wasn't being held to ransom with an insane mark up. It's worth saying though that there's more plentiful stock of 3090's around, just they're being pimped at higher prices by retailers.

G2 arriving in the next week or two, so it had to be the 90.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back