Did you Actually get a RTX3080/90? How?

Anybody who didn't initially buy a 3080 would seriously need to have their head examined, if they ran out now and bought one... without seeing what AMD has on offer.
As to the 3090...
I would not even consider that card at that price...unless I were 'feeding' high definition triple monitors or a massive high-def television.
Its small performance uplift does not justify the over double cost premium.

Looking at this: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3080-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2080-Ti/4080vs4027 it doesn't look like the 3080 has much real world advantage over a good OC'd 2080ti

It may be that given the scarcity of the 3080 the initial benchmarks may well not be all telling. That said some comments I've seen, especially regarding VR performance, may indicate that I might well be better off waiting for the 40 series.

Early days though yet, There's not enough of them out in the wild to be able to make a true judgement, and the 3080 is cheap enough for it to find it's way into "good" systems as opposed to top end systems which may bottleneck the card and skew those benchmarks. Not to mention the current drivers are likely not to be extracting the true potential out of the card.

Last edited:
Just in case anyone's interested. I'm number 380 in the cue on overclockers.co.uk. It seems like next week they'll get between 60 and 80 cards. But its all different brands. So I have to wait for my spot in the cue and then for the card I ordered to become available. They have updates on their forum saying how many cards they are getting in each week, so they are keeping people well informed at least.

I'm kind of expecting a lead time of 3-6 weeks. Which should give me enough time to see if AMD cards are worth cancelling the order over.

Just in case anyone's interested. I'm number 380 in the cue on overclockers.co.uk. It seems like next week they'll get between 60 and 80 cards. But its all different brands. So I have to wait for my spot in the cue and then for the card I ordered to become available. They have updates on their forum saying how many cards they are getting in each week, so they are keeping people well informed at least.

I'm kind of expecting a lead time of 3-6 weeks. Which should give me enough time to see if AMD cards are worth cancelling the order over.

Nice to know what position others are in the queue. I originally ordered a 3090, but dropped it on further consideration of the performance uplift vs cost. I then pished around wondering if I should order a 3080 or wait on AMD.

I've ordered a 3080 from Overclockers and am 1,038 in the queue. This suits me as the AMD card will be out before fulfillment of my 3080 order, so I can drop the 3080 if the AMD is more compelling.

The only reason I need / want a new card is that I've got a G2 headset arriving in early November, and know that my 1080Ti will struggle

I've got the opposite problem, if you can call being able to get a 3080 a problem :O_o:

I'm currently number 8 in the queue for the Gigabyte Vision and there is an expected delivery of 10 or less units in the next day or two. I'm sitting here with my fingers crossed that they'll be delayed for or extra day or two so that I can take in the Navi launch and do some comparison. Knowing my luck it'll be delivered within hours of AMD launching and kicking the doors in :D

I've ordered a 3080 from Overclockers and am 1,038 in the queue. This suits me as the AMD card will be out before fulfillment of my 3080 order, so I can drop the 3080 if the AMD is more compelling.

the G2 is my next purchase. I should probably make that order. It's looking like I might be a bit late to get it this year.

I'm not exactly sure how the overclockers cue works, the announcements on the forum says there's about 1000 back orders still in the cue. So I'm not sure if I'm number 380 for the specific card I ordered or overall. I don't see how I'd be 380 overall if there's so many in the cue, I only ordered it last Friday. 6 weeks could still be optimistic if I'm number 380 and they are getting 60 gigabyte cards a week, then my best case scenario is 6 weeks. It's one of those rare occasions where the long lead is preferable.

If you've received an email from OCUK it will be giving you your queue number just for that specific card rather than the overall number.

That makes sense to me as I order the ASUS Strix OC on the 11tj October and my last email update (23rd October) had me at 1038 as mentioned.

Australia :coffee:

Gigabyte Aorus 3080 Master 10GBA small shipment is expected in 2 weeks, however this will fill less than 10% of pre-orders. We are hoping for additional shipments in December.
Gigabyte Aorus 3080 Xtreme 10GBAt this stage, our suppliers have been unable to confirm any more shipments for this year.
Gigabyte 3080 Eagle OC 10GBA very small shipment is expected in 2 weeks, however this will fill less than 5% of pre-orders. We are hoping for additional shipments in December.
Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC 10GBA small shipment is expected in 2 weeks, however this will fill less than 10% of pre-orders. We are hoping for additional shipments in December.
Gigabyte 3080 Vision OC 10GBA small shipment is expected in 2 weeks, however this will fill less than 20% of pre-orders. We are hoping for additional shipments in December.

No to go too far off-topic but I was just sitting here thinking...
You know what's 'funny' about all of these shortages?
How dependent we all are on manufacturing elsewhere.
Taiwan and South Korea makes the chips and China make almost everything else...and assembles it.
Now that...is a classic example of true dependency in the computer world.

Availability of the 3080 (scan.co.uk)
3080.jpg

Golden Week is a national holiday in China. This year it runs from 1st – 7th October. As production of 30 Series GPUs is all based in this region it means that the factories producing GPUs for the brands are closed during the holiday. As RTX 30 Series is still in very early production this has led to a reduction in the number of GPUs being produced for a short period of time. We will see this as reduced deliveries in the week commencing 12th October (the week after Golden Week). After this we then expect the ramp up of stock to be much steeper than we have seen so far.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back